title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Monday, November 10, 2014

Beautiful Weather Day

Sunny and gloriously warm all day and, promised the same for tomorrow and then.....the Polar Vortex is coming down from Canada, where it came from Alaska, where it was pushed from that nasty hurricane up north.

I have nothing to do outside.  All my gardens are snug and ready for their big sleep.  There is nothing needed from the shed.  I have my snow shovel up on the porch, along with the broom..standing at attention, ready for action.

Soon, the gardens will be covered under a snug, warm blanket of snow.  They like that, for some reason.  When we have our 3 feet high drifts, I picture the bulbs and roots, underneath, just a snoozing away.  I think of gardens as places of Hope.

Life gets dark and drear during the winter, but there is Hope for a brighter future and sure enough, once the sun gets warm and the snow melts--there are new shoots and petals and blossoms.  

Always reminding me that during dark times, there will eventually come a time of sun.
=========================
I ventured up to Pearl's this morning and she was on the phone, trying to call me.  She had a computer question which I easily fixed.  Then we went back into the living room and had a nice hour long chat.  It was very pleasant.

I came home, ate a small sandwich and watched my Soap.  The Soap is celebrating it's 50th anniversary tomorrow.  I have watched from day one, when it was only a half hour long show.  I'd put the babies to bed for their nap, sit down on the couch, relax and watch my Soap....on my gloriously large 19 inch TV.  Back then, I could sit across the room and see everything on the TV screen quite clearly.  Now--sometimes I have a hard time seeing what's on the 32" screen a mere 10 feet away.  <Sigh>
=========================
I have my Mother's side of the family genealogy all done!!  All printed out.  Now all I have to do is put it back together in my big 3-ring binder.  I have made copies to take to my sister on Thanksgiving Day.   

I will start my Daddy's side tomorrow, but I think I have everything as we have researching that side since 1970, when my Mother started it.
=================================
When my little sister was about three years old, she got in a snit one afternoon.  Her favorite color was pink.  She wondered why the sky wasn't pink,  Mother explained, but Susie would have none of it.  The more she thought about it, the madder she got.  She stamped her foot, and put her hands on her hips and pouted and cried.  All afternoon.  Good Grief!

As I was walking across the lawn and out to the barn, at sunset, I looked and the clouds were a gorgeous shade of pink.  Light pink and dark pink and pinkish purple.

I walked back to the house and told Susie to come look.

She came out and I pointed to the western sky.  She looked up.

"Oooooh," she whispered.

Then, she ran back inside and dragged Mother out and she said, "Look what Judy did.  She made me a pink sky!"

I was sixteen years old and I will never forget, as she looked up at me, the sheer wonder and awe on her sweet, little face at what she thought I had done for her.  I felt like I was her Super Sister.

This evening, I took these pictures and sent them to her on Face Book, saying, "Susan, look what I did for you."


7 comments:

  1. What a cute story about the pink sky! I can picture the look of awe on a little girl's face as she looked up to see what her big sister did for her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. awe - you were so nice to do that for her, and again all these years later. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Big sisters are magical sometimes. What a cute story.
    Glad you had a nice chat with Pearl. Few things in life can beat a good friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My weather is similar to yours today and the last nice day.
    Will be busy outside and so much you do is further along then this one.
    So much desk work and many projects but when cold weather arrives I will tackle.
    Take care
    you are doing good...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for this beautiful post, Judy....full of hope, fun, family, love and the power of nature. All the things that make my world go round....LOVELY!
    I've always loved being the big sister in my family, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it! I'm guessing you're a FAB big sister :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was a beautiful sky and what a sweet memory of your sister!

    ReplyDelete