title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Monday, Monday



A nice cool day--really cool nights now--bad weather coming in Wednesday--high winds--again!  Tor Con of 3 for southern Michigan, 4 for northern Indiana and Illinois and Ohio.

I woke up Sunday morning with a terrific pain in my shoulder joint and down into my bicep.  By afternoon, I was ready to cry and took a couple of Advil and rubbed some horse liniment on it.

Around 5:00, Pearl's daughter stopped by and invited me to go up to the newer part of the Park to have supper with them...so I did!  Pearl's daughter, Margie, lives in a nice big double-wide in the newer part of the park--south of us.  Her daughter Jennifer and grand daughter Brooklyn also live there.

I have never quite seen such a bratty girl as Brooklyn--8 years old.  She is completely spoiled and never disciplined.  Margie and Jennifer are so sweet, and the child really doesn't sass them, but she says nasty things to them.  When Pearl said "Hi" to her, she looked at Pearl and stuck out her tongue, and walked into her play room.  I never did see her say a word to Pearl, her great grandma.

Then she said to Margie, her grandma, "You have so many wrinkles.  You look older than anyone I've ever seen."  Marge is 53 and quite pretty.  Then the kid says, "Look at your teeth.  They are all crooked and dirty looking.  You need to get dentures!"

At another time she said to Jennifer, her mother, "Where were you all morning?  Did you go to churchy-churchy?  You're so bad, you need to go everyday!"

Right about then or MUCH sooner, I would have taken the brat into her room and laid a couple of slaps on her behind.  No--I wouldn't have done that.  I would have slapped her bratty mouth the minute she stuck her tongue out at her great grandma.

All Jennifer and Marge ever say is, "Brooklyn, that's not very nice."

So far, she thinks I'm quite cool--we'll see how long that lasts.
==========================
This morning I looked out and there was the maintenance guy Aaron, at Tami's door leaving her a paper--I assume to clean up her junk pile.  The manager decided to let Aaron do it, as he is all over the park, mowing vacant lots and keeping track of homes, so he would have been the one to see the pile.  I didn't hear her scream as yet, but I am wondering.  Can't wait to see what she does.  Can't wait to see that junk pile gone.

Then at 1:00, I had just sat down to watch my Soap and you know who, came through the door.  Sighing and carrying on...I just kept looking at the TV.

"Oh.  Is your show on now?"

"Yep.  One to two--every day."

"Oh...that's right.  I was over Friday when you were watching it.  I'll be back."
<for some unknown reason, she now comes over every single day>

So, as soon as my Soap was over, I got my list, jumped in the car and headed to the grocery store.

I stopped at the Tractor Supply on the way home to get my two big bags of bird seed--hopefully to get me through the winter.  A nice young man loaded it for me, wheeled it out to my car and put it in the trunk.  Now--always before, Merle has helped me unload it and carry it on the porch and poured it into the metal can I store it in.  BUT--I wasn't about to ask--him with the bad back and all.  If he even mentioned that his back hurt later, Pearl would blame me.

So there I stood.  Open trunk and wondering how I was going to manage two, 35# bags of seed.


I took a couple of deep breaths and sang to myself, "If I have to, I can do anything.  I am strong.  I am invincible.  I am woman!"

Lifted it out, kind of dragged it over to the porch steps.  Lifted it up, one step at a time.  Got it on the porch over by the chairs.


Grabbed it by its "ears" and lifted it up onto the chair. 

Cut the top of the bag with my utility knife 
did the same with the second bag.


and dumped it in.  70# of seed!!!
Then I went back to the car and toted in my  10 bags of groceries because, I knew, if I sat down to rest, I might never get back up.

I no sooner got the last bags in the house and, you know who, drove in her drive and immediately walked over.

She was into her deep sighing of earlier in the day.  Then she proceeded to tell me--AGAIN--about her nephew's elaborate wedding coming up this Saturday.  AGAIN--telling me the family was renting the entire floor of the Renaissance Hotel in Novi.  AGAIN, that her dress was being altered, "just to show the tips of my shoes because it is such a formal wedding."

"Are you wearing the caftan dress that was your Mother's?"

"No.  I was going to, but my sister-in-law told me it was too exotic and I might be the center of attention and detract from the bride."
<take a look in the mirror.  You'd detract from the bride alright, not because of your beauty, but because you'd look ridiculous in that dress!>

"Ah.  Yes."

"The reception is going to have an open bar.  You know, where it is all paid for.  My Daddy is going to wear a tux.  This wedding is going to cost the bride's parents at least....oh, I'd say eighty thousand and my brother is playing at least thirty thousand of that."

"Are you being boastful again?" I said with a smile

"No.  I'm just telling you facts."
<like I could give a mouse's patootie>

"I'm just exhausted," she said.

"Oh why?"

"I have had to run all over today.  Getting my hair re-cut, after that hatchet job I got the other day.  Trying to find shoes.  I had to stop in at the tailor's to have another fitting to get the length right on my dress."

"I'm tired too.  I............."

"Did I tell you that my Dad offered to pay to get that dent out of my trunk because I didn't want to pay the deductible?"

"No.  Well, that's nice of him."

"Plus, I have to take my car in for detailing because my Daddy will be riding with me.  It needs vacuuming and cleaning inside."

"Why don't you vacuum it yourself?"

"Oh...I'm too tired.  Besides it is only going to cost ninety dollars--a steal."
<hm-mm, it cost me seventy to get mine done last spring>

...and then, more and more that I don't remember because...I kinda quit listening.  She finally left ninety minutes later.  I put away the groceries, had some macaroni and tuna salad and sat in my chair watching Jeopardy with the TENS device pads on my shoulder and arm.



I know that I am going to be hurting tomorrow from the lifting today.  I ache tonight, but not too bad, but I think I will take one of my super-nice Percocet pain pills I got after my hip surgery, so that I can at least sleep.

We'll see what tomorrow brings.

P.S.  Have you heard of that new respiratory virus that is happening to young kids and babies.  It starts out like a cold and goes into respiratory distress of respiratory arrest.  Tell your kids about it so they will know to watch the grandkids.  You gotta get them to ER--quickly.  




8 comments:

  1. Congratulations for moving 70 lbs of birdseed all by yourself. No way to do that without hurting afterwards! The birds thank you : -)

    I was trying to think of ways your neighbor can un-learn how to treat your house as an extension of her own. But none of them are nice. Oh, dear. Anyway...I'm thrilled you found a way to notify Tami about her eyesore without it coming back to you. You have friends in high places!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was worried about you yesterday when you didn't blog.

    When I have big bags of dog food like your birdseed to move, I usually open them up in the car and scoop about 15 or 20 pounds of food, put into a plastic pail to carry, then I can easier lift the bag out without hurting my back or asking for help.

    I would not like to have my time infringed upon as often as some of your neighbors do with you. I'd be tempted to post a funny sign at the door: Warning! Work-at-home published author and philosopher lives within! Visiting hours are strictly adhered to at this establishment between the hours of 10:00 to11:00, 4:00 to 5:00 and 7:00 to 8:00. Notable exceptions: If you are delivering a large check from Publishers Clearing House or my grandchildren, come right in. If you are bleeding first call 911, then knock at your own peril.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What is that TENS device and does it work?????

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear there is some action on the junk pile issue. The park really is responsive to complaints....nice.
    We have the same cool clear nights here now, too. Love it. Had to wear a fleece when walking Teddy to the bus this morning.
    Bet you'll be glad when the wedding is over....LOL
    Hoping your shoulder is better today. I have that once in awhile from old rotator cuff injuries. I find it really helpful to sleep with the bad arm over a pillow at night. Take's the stress off. Do hope the bird seed moving challenge doesn't make it worse..I must say though, you planned that process well, and I love how you put it on the chair so you could pour it in...great idea. Like you say, where there is a will, there is a way.
    Now off to get ready for water aerobics, for me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm looking forward to the cooler weather, I just hope it doesn't get too cool.

    Dar is a trip.

    Surely moving that birdseed isn't going to help your pain...I hope it feels better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Blogger does not like me this morning. I'm laughing at the signs Jean says to put on your door. But, darn if you didn't have those visitors we wouldn't know what's going on with your monkeys. :)

    Hope you're not too sore this morning. That's heavy duty with the bags.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know how you could stand being around that child acting so horribly. I think I'd have to leave. I usually have to say something - in as nice a way as possible, of course :-). LOVE the sign recommendations! I need that for my office.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We've a few kids have been admitted to the hospital here. They won't know for sure if they have the virus until tomorrow, I think. Waiting for tests, I guess. My DIL sent me an email with a link to the article.

    Brooklyn needs some discipline. Oh, boy!

    Judy, I really hope your arm and shoulder feel better soon. I'm sure lifting the bird seed was not an easy thing to do. Too bad Dar didn't show up in time to help. :)

    ReplyDelete