title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Friday, September 12, 2014

Interesting

Today's high temperature was: 56 degrees
Cloudy
===========================
When the weather is like this, I have very little ambition.  I feel little energy and not very inspired.

I got up kind of early (8:00) and glad that I did.  I was showered and dressed when Dar breezed in at 10:00.

"I am so stressed and frazzled. I thought to myself,' I have to go to Judy's to calm down'."

"What's going on?"

"You know I've got the wedding tomorrow."

"Yes."

"Well...Daddy called this morning and he wants me to take him to the Detroit Yacht Club Sunday."

"Yacht Club?  Hm-mm."

"Yes.  We used to go there a lot and he just got a call from one of his old friends and a bunch of them are gathering there tomorrow for an early dinner.  He hasn't seen most of them in thirty years and he wants to go."

"That's nice."

"I DON'T HAVE A THING TO WEAR!!"

"What?  Is this a fancy place?"
<I know it is--I just like to hear her reaction>

"Oh Gawd!  It's the YACHT club!"

"Okay."

"I asked Daddy what he was going to wear and he said, 'just a sport's jacket', so I don't have to wear anything too formal.  I don't have any cocktail dresses to wear.  Oh---I used to have the most beautiful wardrobe.  Formal attire and cocktail dresses.  Gorgeous suits and pant suits.  I don't have anything like that anymore!"

"That was thirty or forty years ago...so I doubt any of those clothes would still be in style anyway."
<sarcasm is lost on her>

"I don't have time to go shopping.  I don't have two hundred dollars to buy a new dress! There aren't any high end stores around here anyway.  OH--what am I going to do?"

"Do you have a nice blazer you could wear with a pair of dress pants?"

"NO.  None of my dress pants fit.  I just gotta lose some weight."

"Ah--I have some fairly nice dresses.  If you want to look at them."

"YES!"

"Okay--come on back to the bedroom."

I walked back and opened up my closet door and started pulling out my dresses and laying them on my bed for her to look at or try on.  

"What size are these?"

"I don't know for sure, but I'm sure they will fit."

"I wear a twelve or a fourteen."
<in your dreams>

"This is my favorite.  A dress with a jacket over it.  You can wear it to anything."


"What size is it?"

"I don't know.  Try it on."

"No.  It looks too business like.  I want something else."



"A pant suit, perhaps?"

"No. Something fall looking." 



"How about this Hunter green coat dress?

"Oh no.  My Dad would take one look at that and................."
<what the heck is wrong with this dress? I love it>




"This would be a nice color, but I think it's the wrong season."

"Oh--I like that.  Let me try it on."

She did.  

"Oh, I don't like the flared skirt."



"If you wanted to wear a long one.  I have this...with the over blouse."

"Ah...no."




"I have a dark green velvet dress, but.................."

"No.  Not that formal."

"Okay, what about this one?"

"Oh.  I like that.  With the fall leaves on it.  Let me try it on."



"Ah...you've got it on backwards.  The opening buttons at the back neck...not the front."

"Oh...I'll take it.  What size is it...it fits really well."

"Ah--let me look.  It's a size eighteen."

"EIGHTEEN!  I HAVE NEVER WORN AN EIGHTEEN IN MY LIFE!"
<maybe you should and your clothes wouldn't look so tight>

"Oh..er..ah...it's probably a small eighteen.  You know.  Nowadays you just can't tell by the size.  You have to try it on to see."
<liar, liar, pants on fire>

"This is so surprising.  I just never thought you'd have dresses like this in your closet."

"Why?  Because I'm a country hick and you don't think I ever get dressed up?"

"Well...kinda."
<bring your rude mouth over here so I can slap you>

"I guess you never asked, but...when I worked for General Motors, I attended a lot of  parties with the executives I worked with.  Then, when I lived in Saginaw, I was the corporate executive secretary for a large business.  I went to many functions, dances and dinners with the big wigs.  When I quit work, I kept a couple of outfits for every season and donated the rest of my work dresses to a community center for underprivileged women going on their first job interviews.  I wore a dress and heels every day to work.  At that time in my life, my closet was filled with dresses and business outfits.  I owned one pair of jeans and three pair of dress slacks.  Kind of the opposite of what my closet holds now."

"Oh."
<like, if you ever cared enough to learn what my life used to be>

"I can't thank you enough!  You've saved my sanity and decreased my stress level about eighty percent!"

"And MY dress will be going to the Detroit YACHT Club.  WOW!"
<apparently sarcasm goes right over her inflated head>

"Yeah.  Isn't that something?"
<like I could give a rat's patootie if my dress or I ever went there>

I took the shoulder pads out and washed and dried it and touched it up with the iron a bit and it is ready for her to come back and pick it up.
======================
It is now 11:00 at night.  I wonder if she still wants the dress?  Who knows with that one!



10 comments:

  1. I absolutely love your pin stripped coat dresses. I remember you once posted a photo of you going to church in one of those dresses and I thought you looked so elegant and classic. I love the jewel colors, too. I'll bet those colors look great on you.

    If Dar takes the black dress, I hope you get it back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This was hysterical ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh - what would we do without Dar? HAHAHAHA!!!

    You're so kind, but I do love the little thoughts in your head after she says something. :)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a good friend you are! You gave her hope and comfort when she was upset. It must make you happy to give something with your kindness to her. Sharing what you have, even if she does not use it, is special. I think the giver gets more than the one who takes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I chuckled all the way through this ~ but really, you're so kind to her!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL I'd have to borrow a dress if I needed it. Honestly, I don't wear them anymore. I'd take your suggestion about the dress slacks and blazer. That's what I usually do - that or a sweater set with a necklace and I call it "fancy enough." I opt for comfort every time. You had a nice selection for her. Shopping at Judy's is a good deal.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't wait to hear about Dar's week-end because you just know there's going to be Major Drama.

    Thank goodness she didn't wear the Cleopatra get up at least, right?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dar is a trip, looking forward to hearing about the wedding and yacht club.

    I'm just like you, I used to wear a business suit to work everyday, and I had a ton of them, many of them very expensive. Many years ago I sent most of them to a center that helps abused women get back on their feet, helping them with job seeking etc. I kept a couple of my favorites, but I never wear them.

    Every single day I wear black slacks to work with a blouse of some sort. In fact, when I look in my closet, I see a lot of black, it's like I've gone Goth in my old age.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bahahaha. I appreciate your sarcasm. Sometimes it's the Dars in our life who keep us mindful of our blessings, and thankful for our kind friends!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You did show her some nice dresses!

    ReplyDelete