title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Tuesday, December 25, 2018

Hey!  Not everyone is lucky enough to be able to have the time to post on their blog on busy Christmas Day.  I am one of them.
================
No White Christmas for us and...I don't care.  It makes traveling around a whole lot easier...and travel I did, yesterday.  It was Christmas Eve and I needed to be Home.

Well you see, for the last 100+ years and all of my life, our family--that is the Walts family, always celebrated Christmas on Christmas Eve. Christmas Day we ran around to other Grand Parents or Aunts houses. Since our families have grown and grand children are grown, we can't always get together on the Eve. We will have our big family gathering on the 27th this year. 

You know how I am about tradition!! My middle name is Tevya! I just couldn't stand the thought of not being at The Farm on Christmas Eve, so my sister invited me up--her husband, her son and his two daughters were there too. She has her house decorated beautifully, as usual, 5 decorated trees, wreaths in every window, along with candles in every window, upstairs and down. The minute I walked in, I knew I had found Christmas. How fortunate I am to still have family members living in the homes I grew up in. Ah-hh. 







It was perfect.  A nice small group, we could each talk to each other and hear each other.
=================
Last night, after I got home, I was remembering a Christmas Eve, some 30+ years ago.  Recently divorced, I was feeling particularly sad.  I felt uncomfortable in my home church, where I had attended since I was born--for 45 years.  Being divorced, when I walked in on Sunday mornings, I could see the gossips, sitting on the far side of the sanctuary, look at me then put their heads together and whisper. I had also been told, by one of those well-meaning women, that because of my circumstances, I should no longer sing in the choir.  Bad example you know.

I transferred my church membership to a small church in the neighboring town.  From my first Sunday, in that little church, I had felt so welcomed and cared for, even though they were aware of my “circumstances” they just loved me and the choir director insisted I join the choir. I can remember her words.

"Judy, I want you in my choir. Rehearsals are Thursday night at seven-thirty."

"Oh...no...I can't...well, I'm divorced and...well  you know...a sinner, I guess."

"Well in this church, we put all the sinners up front in the choir so the congregation can keep an eye on them!"

I replied, "See ya Thursday night!"
============

That year, there was going to be a Christmas Eve service at 7:00 and also at midnight.  Since my family always celebrated our Christmas on Christmas Eve evening, I couldn’t make the 7:00 service.  I got home around 9:30 and decided to go to the Midnight service.

There were only about 25 of us.  One candle was lit on the altar, the organist, softly playing a Christmas hymn.  After the message, the Pastor asked us to stand up, join hands and make a circle.  

He said a prayer then we held lit candles and sang Silent Night.  The Pastor requested, as we left, to not say a word…to go out into the dark night knowing the light of the world had come to drive the darkness away.

As we walked out, I heard the person who opened the front door, gasp.  We all crowded out onto the front steps, and were greeted with pure, white gently falling, big fat snowflakes. It hadn’t snowed much that winter and we thought there would be no white Christmas.

I remember hugs and tears and quiet whispers of merry Christmas.  Even as we walked to our cars and started them to drive home, everything seemed muffled in quiet peace.


Many Christmas Eves have come and gone and I remember quite a few of them, but that Christmas Eve. 30+ years ago, was the most spiritual and awe inspiring one I have ever experienced and I will never forget the feeling of love and peace that covered me that special night.  
=================
Merry Christmas my Dear Friends.  May the Light of the World cover you with many blessings.

12 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas to you, as well.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Christmas Judy. Glad you got to spend Christmas Eve with your sis and family. Christmas Eve is when our family gets together too. Hope your back is feeling better.
    Cheers, Carol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, bah Humbug on that first church. They didn't need you there, nor did you need them. Glad you found a church full of sinners (aren't we all?) so you could fit right in! And people wonder why church attendance is falling!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for posting!!! MERRY CHRISTMAS! I'm nursing a wicked Christmas cold although this morning we had a chaotic wonderful exuberant exchanging of gifts. The Kidults helped the boys choose my gifts and they are perfect. Santa brought little guy a two wheel bike and big guy a set of golf clubs. Kate got up early to turn on the heat and start the oven, so I could put in the cinnamon rolls while the boys opened stockings (always my favorite).

    Sing loud and proud!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laughed out loud at choir director saying she put all the sinners up front... Her quick wit would make anyone feel welcome.

    Glad you got to go to your sister's for a little party and now have a big one to look forward to. Have a Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Merry Christmas! Can appreciate your story. Our household experienced the attitudes, more subtly, that you describe toward a “divorced household”.toward the now single mother and children. Fortunately, the minister and church congregation where she had been a prominent member were very supportive and saw that we had Christmas that first year when otherwise there would have been nothing to eat or no presents.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You look pretty snazzy in that red sweater, Judy.
    I'm glad you had a good time at your sister's. It's nice when you can go back home and really enjoy it. I hope you have a great team with the rest of your family today, then onward to the New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. hi judy, you look great, red is a good color on you!! it sounds like you had a beautiful christmas!! merry christmas...a few days late!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. In our church all the pews are filled with sinners. I have enough on my plate keeping myself straightened out, to worry much about who else is doing what, haaahaha! xoxo

    ReplyDelete