title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Frustrating Dilemma

I had 8 yard waste bags of leaves that I had to haul out to the street.  I did that Monday and just about killed my back and shoulder for doing anything significant on Tuesday.  Well, guess what?  The Yard Waste company did not pick up the bags yesterday.  

It was suppose to rain all today, so last night, I went out and tried to lay a sheet of plastic on top of the bags to protect them.  I had a few fallen branches from my Maple trees that I laid across the top of the plastic.

When I woke up this morning, the plastic sheet was laying on the driveway, along with a couple of the branches.  Must have been a wind that blew them off.

So, I put the plastic back on, and sort of latticed the branches on top.

I called the office to see when the Yard Waste pick-up was going to be, they replied the next two Tuesday's in a row.  The Newsletter they sent out at the beginning of the month clearly stated, "Yard Waste pick-up will be EVERY Tuesday during the month of November."  

I didn't even argue, even though I was sitting and looking at the statement in the Newsletter.  Nothing I could do about the missed Tuesday and bringing it to their attention wouldn't have solved a thing.

I had just hung up the phone when my lawn mowing guy, or at this time of year, my leaf raking guy drove up. He comes every other Monday, but today is Wednesday.   Since it takes him more time to rake up leaves than it does for him to mow, I could see why he was days behind.

He was here 4 hours.  He did Dar's and Jackie's.  Their lots back up to the woods so he just blows them off the lawn and into the woods.

Then he started on mine and my neighbor's.  I told him about my frustration and said, "Now the bags you fill today will be in the rain until next Tuesday.  I can't seem to get the plastic sheet to stay on top to protect them."

He said, "Don't worry.  I'll figure out something."

So off I went to the Food Bank.  

When I got back, I noticed he was finished up with my lawn and working on my neighbor's AND using some of my bags for the neighbor's leaves.

While I realize that it is difficult to tell whose leaves are laying on whose lawn--it still kind of irritated me.  My neighbor makes a couple hundred thousand a year.  I get about $12K.  

Oh well, a stack of yard waste bags only cost about $1.98 at Walmart, so I can be generous.

He put all the bags he collected over on the end of my driveway.  That's okay, it will be easier for the Yard Waste company to pick them all up in one spot.

I notice he had put the plastic sheet back on as best he could.  But, where it had covered 8 bags, there were now 14 bags there and it wasn't covering the tops of all the bags.

So--as I watched it rain all day and know that we have two more rain days and maybe a rain/snow mix day from now until next Tuesday--I am wondering.

The bottoms of these paper bags are going to be wet.  When the Yard Waste people go to pick them up and throw those heavy, leaf laden, wet bags into the back of the garbage truck, are all the bottoms going to break and I will have leaves scattered all over my driveway?

And, if they do---guess whose responsibility it will be to clean them up?

And I have no Yard Waste bags left to use.


21 comments:

  1. On the good side the bags aren't sitting on dirt where they'd take on more moisture from the ground. On the bad side if it snows before they get picked up your snow guys will have to shovel around them. I wouldn't have liked having my neighbor's leaves mixed in with mine. I don't know why we worry about things like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why do we worry about things like that? Too much time on our hands. LOL

      Delete
  2. I've never seen those yard waste bags before. I guess they are environmentally friendly. We use the big, black, plastic, non-friendly bags for bagging leaves. Then H takes them to the dump. No yard waste pickup here. My brother lives about 70 miles from me, and they have yard waste and bulk pickup. They just sit anything at curbside and they pick it up every Tuesday. Anything at all. I loved that when I was at Dad's. I guess it's different everywhere. I hope your bottoms hold! Don't forget to tell us how it turns out. Don't you just love blogging? I'm worried about my friend's leaves in Michigan. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bags have to be biodegradable because they go to a composting place. We also can't have water softeners here because too much salt would get in the wet lands. BUT--we don't have recycling. All the plastic--everything goes in the garbage pail into the dump. Weird people!!

      Delete
  3. Hopefully the yard waste pick up people will be considerate enough to pick up the bags from the bottom so they don't break! Yeah, I know......

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think I've ever seen biodegradable bags. So they're just paper? I hope they hold up.
    We just burn our leaves here but we're country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've missed that wonderful smell of burning leaves ever since I moved off the farm and into the burbs.

      Delete
  5. you must have a lot of trees....they are beautiful, but oh the leaves!!

    we have a lot as well....and we have to use that type of bag as well. our yard guys load them directly on to their truck and take them to the dumps!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was hoping that maybe my garbage men would take them today, but they didn't. What harm could 14 bags of leaves do in a garbage dump? Nope--they have to go to the composting place.

      Delete
  6. We don't have a yard service. So I don't have any familiarity with this.

    And we don't worry about leaves. He just gets them away from front of garage door. So they don't blow in.

    If there is any yard crap, it is put on road edge, and city picks it up. No bags needed for this.

    But that is here. Each place is different.

    Luna Crone

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maybe next time, put plastic under the bags as well.

    I had a friend who never raked her leaves; she told me it kept her grass nice. Low and behold, I tried it one year and the grass was beautiful. :)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't rake them if it wasn't required here. I never did when I lived on the farm. They are good fertilizer for the grass.

      Delete
  8. Maybe go to Walmart or the hardware store and but a cheap 9x10 tarp to cover all the bags. Then the night before or early morning take the tarp off. May it will help keeping the bags dry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking about just that today. Good idea.

      Delete
  9. Such things are so frustrating. Usually neighbors and men are involved. Sometimes both. Haaahaha xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, good guaaaaaarief. Can't anyone do anything right anymore?! Grrrrrrrrr!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those are strange bags, especially for some place that gets rain. We have a tall green can where all of our yard waste is put and collected with our other two containers, garbage and recyclables, each week.

    ReplyDelete