title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Sunday, August 16, 2015

Weird Day

Friday was a strange day and Sunday was a weird day.  The titles of my blog posts, seem to tell the true picture of my life!!

I was quite uneasy all day yesterday.  I had e-mailed Pam, Susan, Karen and even Jennifer to see if they had heard anything about Mark and got ZERO replies.  Which of course made me think that something terrible was going on and they were rehearsing their "script" before telling me.

I couldn't sleep Saturday night, even with the Melatonin I take each night.  So I got back up at 1:00 and took a Benedryl.  Then got up at 2:30 and took a Tylenol PM.  It's  a wonder I even woke up this morning.  ONLY KIDDING--that wouldn't be enough medicine to permanently put me out.

I got up this morning, watched a couple of my favorite preacher programs and decided that I could not let this not knowing drive me crazy and I wouldn't bother any of them.  Let them notify me and just forget about it in the meantime.

I showered and took off to JoAnn's, in Brighton, to get another skein of baby yarn to finish up my project for friend Chis.  Then  back, 4 miles west up the road to Howell and Wal-Mart.  Diet Pepsi liters was $1.00.  It was so miserably hot and the A/C in my car isn't exactly perfect, so it was not a nice outing.  86 today, which really isn't all that bad, but with the humidity/dew point--it is miserable.

I unloaded the trunk of my car and spent the rest of the day inside, cross stitching and watching a baseball game/golf tourney/couple of movies.  

My phone rang about 4:00 and it was Pammie.

"Momma, the reason I haven't e-mailed you back is because, I don't know a thing!"

"Oh.  Okay.  I just wondered because I know Mark had an MRI last Friday, before your birthday, and I thought the results should have been in my now and the docs would have a treatment plan mapped out."

"Well, Cindy told Jen..............oh........I didn't tell you.  Jen was in the hospital Thursday night and part of Friday."

"What?  Why?"

"She stopped at the ER on the way home from work Thursday to get a breathing treatment.  This humidity and heat play havoc with her asthma and she was having trouble breathing.  Then she mentioned that she was having pain in her chest and they wouldn't release her.  On Friday morning, she had a stress test, an EKG and an Echo cardiogram.  Nothing wrong with her heart at all."

"Well, how great that she got those tests so she knows.  I'm glad about that.  She is under a lot of stress and that can cause chest pain and all sorts of thing...I suppose having an asthma attack could cause that too.  What did Cindy tell Jen?"

"That's the weird thing.  Jen called me and said, 'Isn't the news about Mark wonderful?'  I asked her what news and she said, that Cindy had called her and told her the doctor's told Mark he has twenty years."

"Wait.  What?"

"That's what Cindy told Jen."

"That can't be true!  He has prostate cancer and three other tumors in his bones.  Did they misread the original MRI?"

"I DON'T KNOW MOM!"

"Don't yell.  I'm just thinking out loud here.  Why would Cindy tell Jen something like that?"

"Well she didn't call me and tell me that.  I know that he has started on his shots to kill his testosterone.  Maybe that could make the tumors shrink?"

"I don't know, Honey.  I don't know anything about cancer really.  You got heart disease, or have to have heart surgery--I know a lot about that, but........not cancer....except what Aunt Arlene went through.  I know she had Stage 4 ovarian cancer and they didn't have much hope, but with chemo, she lasted four years and felt good through most of that time."

"Well, I have vacation this week, so tomorrow, I am going to wait until Cindy goes to work and then, I am driving up and see what brother Mark has to say.  We are going to have a sit down and I am going to find out!"

"Well, if he will talk to anyone, it would be you.  You two have been close all your life."

"Yeah--as close as Mark gets to anyone!  Maybe Cindy was just being over positive?  I don't know, but I am going to find out and then...I will let you know."
=====================
  Weird I tell you.  Just weird!!


5 comments:

  1. I've known a few guys who lived over 12 years with testosterone but never anyone who lasted as long as 20. I guess they have some bladder control issues caused by the treatments but, as one of my friends says, "That's not bad considering."

    The heat yesterday was terrible and my air conditioning went out the day before. Not totally unexpected considering its age but I'm not looking forward to finding out how much it costs to fix or replace. I didn't even bother to call anyone yet because they'd be so booked up with the heat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do hope Pammie has some success talking with Mark. it must be awful for you to be "in the dark." When we have similar situations going on in our family, someone sets up a group e-mail chain with frequent updates. Helps a lot. I am sure you have already suggested that. Every case of cancer is different so there really is no predictability. Would sure like to believe that Mark has 20 years ahead!

    The heat is unbearable here and I have had several moments of collapse. Today I took Teddy to the camp bus and am now back at the house in the cool. We moved AC units around and have fans so that the house is more comfortable. The worst is yet to come to us, so I am trying to be ready. Hope some cool has come your way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's hoping Pam gets the real answers as, with you, something wasn't right about what Cindy told Jen. But, that would be wonderful if true. Prayers for Mark, and you Judy. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. ummm kinda weird yes, keep us posted!! our heat has been oppressive!!!!

    and sleep is often an issue and with all this on your mind, i'm not surprised you had trouble sleeping!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope Cindy is right, but that seems like a long time. It must be so hard for you to be out of the loop. That would make anyone crazy. I hope the communication improves. I would not be able to sleep either. Maybe Pam will be successful at getting some info. from the horse's mouth.

    ReplyDelete