title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Golly Gosh

I made a vow to myself that on August 1st, I would start walking up to the lake and back every morning at 11:00.

Today is the 4th and I finally did it.  Can anyone say, "Undisciplined?"  

Halfway there---
I stopped at Fred's Heart Tree because my back was killing me.  But, I pushed on.  I sat for awhile on the picnic table by the lake--beautiful sight.  I will take pictures tomorrow, so you can see.

Then I started back.  Hips AND back were screaming all the way home and I noticed, my balance isn't all that great!  I sometimes walk like a drunken sailor!!

But, it felt good to be out, with just my thoughts.  No matter how troublesome those thoughts can be, the beauty around me helps.
==============================
I got a nice surprise today.  My electric company sent me an e-mail informing me that my monthly budget payment went down, from $40.00 a month to $30.00.  Now, I have an extra $10.00 to put towards all the dang doctor bills because of that STUPID Obama Care influenced health insurance I signed up for last December.
<sorry, I shouldn't sound so ungrateful.>

Went into Brighton to get my hairs cut.  It sure feels good to have super short hair once again.  I never have been one to "mess" with my hair.  I want to get out of the shower, towel it dry, give it a comb and a fluff and off I go.  I have Wash and Dry hair.

Then, around 5:30 Dar came over.  She walked in with a dress.  I thought perhaps it was her mother's or something.  It looked like an old lady dress for sure--with a jacket with sparklies on it.  Midnight Blue.  Dar has olive skin and dark hair.  Personally, I think she should wear more pastels or jewel tones, but all she wears is dark colors--because she thinks she looks glamorous.

Something else I don't get--probably just me, but...she bought the dress, and of course she told me, "It cost one hundred and twenty dollars," for her cousin's, daughter's, granddaughter's wedding.

Wait.  What?

A cousin three-four times removed?  "Do you even know the girl?"

"No."

"Why are you going to her wedding?"

I have attended my cousin's weddings and sometimes their kids, but I have never attended my cousin's grand kids weddings.  We just don't go that far "down" in the family for our wedding invitations.

We mostly invite close family and friends.  Ya know--people that we know?  Oh well--

Anyway, she said, "I brought it over because I said, 'if Judy doesn't like it then it is going back.' "

Well, I didn't tell her what I thought of it, although I may have said, "At first I thought it was a vintage dress of your Mother's."

She has bright red shoes and purse to go with it and a bright red necklace made of some kind of plastic stone-like beads.  The Midnight Blue jacket already has Midnight Blue sequins and beads on it.  And why wear that color in summer?  Well--I sure am not fashionista, so what do I know?

Then she said, "I have been so busy.  I had to get a clip board, like mine, for Jim because he wanted one.  Rodney is causing all sorts of problems at work....and..."

"Dar, I told you two weeks ago that I'm really not interested in hearing about your work and union problems and people I don't know. I have no idea who Jim or Rodney are.  Tell me news about people we BOTH know.  I'd much rather hear about your brother and Pat.  Have they closed on their house?  When are they moving?"
<I am not in the mood to tolerate her anymore!>

Thankfully, before I could get mad and make a fool of myself and have to apologize later, her phone rang and it was her brother and SIL telling her to come home because supper was ready.
=============

She left and Pearl walked in about 10 minutes later.

"I want you to look out your bathroom window.  Merle is in the back yard.  Just look at him and tell me what you think."

So I did and came back in the living room.

"He looks really, really sick to me, Pearl.  He is bent over and kind of dragging his feet when he walks--like he can't lift his legs and is shuffling."

"I know!  He is in terrible pain and sleeps all the time. He gets home from work, goes to sleep, eats supper, goes to sleep, I wake him up and he goes to bed.  What is wrong with him?"

"He also looks like he's lost weight."

"Yes...about fifteen pounds."

"Fifteen pounds?  He was skinny to begin with, he can't afford to lose any weight!  I think he should quit working."

"Oh--I forgot to tell you...he did put in his resignation.  He is going to quit at the end of October and not go back to work next spring."

"Why wait that long?"

"Because he wants that unemployment to get through winter."

<I had so many words, but I didn't want to say them. Then, she said them for me>

"Judy, I think he has cancer!"

"I do too.  When does he go for the test on his kidneys?"

"The last week of this month."

"Well, he's going to a urologist and he is going to have an ultra sound and an MRI, right?"

"Yes."

"I think they will probably finally find out what is wrong."

"Well, he's got to work until the end of October, no matter what they find out.  We need that unemployment."

"No you don't!  You won't have it next fall, you can learn this year how to get along without it."

"But...we need it!"

"Well, if they find out something really bad, he won't be going back to work.  He will be in a hospital!"

"I sure didn't expect my life to be like this."

"What?  We are getting old.  What did you expect?"

"He's always been so strong...and now...he's just so weak and not good for anything.  I didn't expect that. He doesn't even help me anymore.  He doesn't even talk to me anymore and he's grouchy all the time!"

"Well...he's seventy eight years old and he's in pain and tired and probably worried about his health."

"I'm the same age he is and I don't act like that!"

"Men age faster then we do."

"I know he has cancer!  I wonder what kind?  Remember, they couldn't find a thing wrong with him last year."

"He may have bladder cancer...or kidney cancer.  He didn't have an MRI of those organs.  Those cancers can grow slowly and for a couple of years before they show up with bad symptoms.  Don't jump to any conclusions.  Wait for the tests."

"Well, he has to work until the end of October, no matter what!"
<sigh>
==================
After Pearl left, I decided I needed a treat, so I ordered myself a pizza delivery.  It gets costly because I order 5 toppings, but I only get one every month or so.  I was delish!!!

Then my sister called and we talked for almost an hour, which is no big deal for us.  She has heard no news from up the road, but did say that 3 neighbors have asked Chuck, so I guess pretty soon, I can talk about it here because soon, everyone will know.

Then Maisey and John were on the porch, so I went out for a porch-chat, until the skeeters became too much of a nuisance.

Now--I will play a couple of games on FB, take my Melatonin and go to bed and have a nice sleep.  

Tomorrow morning--I walk to the lake and back again!!  No matter how much it hurts!  Oh Yes I will--dammit!!!



4 comments:

  1. I never wear light colors, at least since the 70s---mostly black and jewel tones. I've always had a dog and they can mess up light colors in one jump plus the work I did while might have sounded glamorous to some was really messy. In more recent years being a caregiver putting a wheelchair in and out of the car would have taken its toll on light colors.

    If you resign from a job how can you qualify for unemployment? How can that be legal or even moral? Especially at Merle's age. He should be collecting S.S. though. It's got to be stressful for him to know something is wrong but they can't find it. That happened to my mom but it was only 12 weeks of not knowing until she died, didn't find out why until the autopsy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jean - here in FL you don't get unemployment unless laid off from work. I hope it's different there for them though since it seems they're depending on it.

      Delete
  2. Has Merle chosen to keep working - like my father-in-law has done? In the UK he would have had some kind of pension for at least 12 years. I guess that the USA system is completely different. Anyway, I hope that they find out what is wrong quickly and help him. It must be a terrible worry. Jx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope and pray Merle doesn't have cancer, Judy. How sad to even think about. :(

    xox

    ReplyDelete