title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Sunday, December 15, 2013

Snowy Weekend


Today's high temperature was: 22 degrees
Snowed all day
Snow total for the weekend--7 inches.
Suppose to be 40+ on Friday this week :-)
==================================
It snowed all day Saturday.  We expected it.  We were ready.  We did not expect the snow that came today--it was suppose to shut off around midnight, but it didn't.

Merle came down to shovel me out--I sent him back home.  I don't want him working that hard in this cold weather.  Instead, I have a young man that comes--cleans off the car, the porch and steps and the entire parking pad for $10.00.  He is 47 and has two kids to support--has been without work for five months, so I would rather give him the work.  He came yesterday and today--I hope the snow quits or I am going to go broke, LOL.  Today, I gave him $20.00 for the job and he cried!!  I told him it was a Merry Christmas gift.  

Also got the mail carrier's card and $20.00 in the mail box so she will get it tomorrow.  Twenty dollars seems like such a minuscule amount today, doesn't it?  What with little kids getting $400.00 IPad's and Smart Phones--twenty dollars seems like five dollars to them.  <Sigh>
========================
I spent most of Sunday (today) working on trying to make cross stitch patterns out of photos.  I have a long frame-26 x 6" and I want to stitch a series of scenes from my childhood--the house, barn, school, church, tractor, cows, dog, etc.  So I have had to scan the photos and print them out on graph paper to see how big they are.  Also been looking online for free cross stitch patterns for cows, tractor, dog--that sort of thing.  It will be a project I start in January.  I always have to have a new cross stitch project to start the new year and get me through the winter months.   I am crocheting a sweater/bootie/bonnet/afghan baby set for my friend Bethie, who works for an animal rescue group and they have a silent auction in February.  Hope I get it done by then--however, I need to have two different projects, so when my wrist gets tired from crocheting, I can switch over to cross stitch.
===========================
Yesterday, I finished my 3rd baby crib cover/quilt for the non-existent great grand children. LOL  For some reason, it soothes me that, even though I may be dead when a great grand child is born, at least my grandchild will have something for their baby from her grandma.


1st one


  2nd one and my favorite


Just finished.  This is the one I got at
The Salvation Army store for $2.99

I need to get to town tomorrow and we aren't suppose to have any more snow until nighttime.  I was feeling so blessed Thursday night and woke up Friday morning to find my microwave had died.  I turned it on to warm up my milk for cocoa and it made a terrific racket and no heat.  I unplugged it to see if it might reset itself, but when I turned it back on, a few sparks flew so I yanked out the plug.  It hadn't been heating properly for the last month, so I should have known.

Isn't this just great?  My life seems to be, one step forward and three steps back, BUT, I thanked God for having it last these past 11 years.  I'll tell you one thing, you don't realize how often you use the microwave, until you don't have a microwave.  I have to warm up my milk in a pan on top of the stove--just like I did 20 years ago.  OH--we are so spoiled!!!  Perhaps I can find a re-furbished one?
============================
I have been watching Season 3 of Downton Abbey--catching up, getting ready for Season 4.  I can hardly wait!!

I have all my gifts wrapped--just waiting for Maddie's $10.00 laser cut ornament from the Nutcracker Ballet place I ordered.  I got an e-mail, it has been shipped, so I should get it any day now.

I paid end of month bills today, gas, electricity, cable company, health insurance, life insurance and have $50.00 left in the checking account.  That is good--usually by now I am down to $15.00, LOL.

I got my notice from Social Security of our cost of living raise--I get $14.00 more a month.  I just don't know what I am going to do with such riches!!!

Life is good!!!

10 comments:

  1. Judy, I got $12.00 :)
    I do not have cable an antenna here in the country gives me more stations then
    I need and seldom watch.
    I usually give my paper man (only get Sunday paper) and mailman a box of candy
    unless I have baked something.
    Mailman I have had for years in this area
    and whenever I bake throughout the year I pass on some to him.
    Your handwork is beautiful
    No snow in my area,
    just cold and rainy......
    Stay warm and safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the baby quilts, so beautiful!

    Haven't gotten any notice yet on SS but I figure with what they'll raise the part A, it'll about wash. (Or, is it part b, anyway the hospital part, and people think that's FREE; not!).

    I'm through with shopping also, and almost with the wrapping.

    I love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your crib covers are so cute...you must work really fast. I would still be working on the first one...:) I admire you for trying to make patterns out of pictures so you can cross stitch them. I think that you would try most anything.
    Have a nice day today...Balisha

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love those quilts, Judy, especially that top one. I'd buy that one in a heart-beat for my great-great soon-to-be-born nephew. Have you ever thought about auctioning off a baby quilt on e-Bay from time to time to add some extra cash to your budget? You are so talented with a needle and so productive!

    I wish I could find an out of work neighbor to shovel round the house. Apparently the kids around here don't need spending money like they used to need in my old neighborhood. When $20.00 makes a grown man cry it's got to make you feel good to strike a bargain that helps you both out so much.

    It's calm and sunny on this side of the state.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful baby quilts! I think it's so great that they will have something from great grandma! This snow is making everything I have to do these next two weeks a PITA!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous baby quilts - so beautiful. How special for your grandchildren to have these for their someday babies.
    Check on your computer to see if you have "freecycle" in your area. People put things on there that are working and they are ridding of, and others can get them for free. You can also request items such as a microwave, and someone may have one they are just holding on to and will give them away.
    http://groups.freecycle.org/livingstoncofreecycle/description

    ReplyDelete
  7. Judy does Karen know you are putting all these quilts away? I think it is so sweet, and it will just be perfect to have their Great Grandmother with them, and to pass down to other grandchildren.
    Check Craiglist, often times people put things on there for free so that they don't have to dispose of them because the got something new.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad you got my cheque and book order. There is no hurry for the books, wait until the weather is better before sending them.
    I think I may have commented once or twice before but most of the time I just read and enjoy.
    The baby quilts are beautiful. I am working on a yellow rose cross stitch pattern right now - I think I started it this time last year! Very slow going!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE THE BABY QUILTS.... and I hate to say this but you are in teh same boat as I am and I WORK.... keep warm,, wish I was THERE!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Where to begin. There's a lot in this post. First of all, I'm jealous of your snow. Send some this way, please. I'm glad you have someone to shovel your driveway. It's a great deal for you and him. So many people out of work, and so many of the ones who are working are not even making a living wage. Tough times.

    Those baby quilts are adorable and will be cherished.

    So sorry about your microwave. Mine broke last spring. We never realize how much we use them till they break. I mostly use mine to heat things up and for defrosting.

    Good on you for having all your Christmas presents wrapped.

    Think about eBay for selling some of those quilts. So pretty.

    ReplyDelete