title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Sunday, November 17, 2013

Spaghetti Sauce

Today's high temperature was: 61
Rainy in the a.m.
Bad storms rolled through--quite a bit of damage with 75 mph winds--all safe here.
Now--40 mph consistent winds with 50 mph gusts.

==================================
This is how the spaghetti sauce recipe reads.  I got it in 1978 from my dear little 4'11" Italian friend, Francine.


In large stock pot

Brown:
2 # ground beef
3 Hot Italian sausage links--Johnsonville
          (slit skin, peel off and make small meatballs out of sausage.)

Add:
1 medium onion chopped
1 green pepper chopped
2 garlic buds, diced
Cook with meats until tender

Add: 
2 quarts diced tomatoes
1 quart tomato sauce
48 oz. tomato juice
2 Tbls. Oregano
2 Tbls. Sweet basil
2 Tbls. Italian seasoning
2 Tbls. Garlic powder
¾ cup granulated sugar
(Can add 1 can mushrooms)

Cover and simmer for hours and hours J stirring occasionally—about 5 hours

Uncover and simmer to thicken.

Can be frozen in quart freezer bags

Make about 6-7 quarts of sauce

Use for all Italian dishes

Makes a nice chunky sauce that is out of this world!!!!!
================================

First: Put on your long, bib apron to keep red, staining, tomato stuff off your clothes.



 Then get out your favorite stock pot.  This is the one I bought last year just for this project (and making chili) because this Farber Ware will not stick and burn!!

I sometimes start with a bit of olive oil, but usually there is enough grease from the ground beef .
The Johnsonville HOT Italian Sausage Links are not HOT--I make it into small meatballs and everyone loves coming across one while eating the sauce.

After I get everything all in the pot, I have a special "simmer" burner on the back right of the stove and that is where I let is simmer--for about five hours.

I uncover it and throw in 4 of these capsules, to break up the fat.


Let it simmer, uncovered to thicken--I don't know how long--you will know when it is ready.

Then, I put the pot in my sink to cool and so I won't make a mess when I transfer it over into the quart Zip Lock baggies.



Using my handy-dandy wide mouth funnel and ladle, I put the
sauce into the quart freezer bags--about 5 scoops full.

Put them in freezer.  Later, I will take a gallon zip lock freezer bag, label it with their name, and put two quart bags into it.  Even Pammie gets some this year :-)

If there is any small amount left over, I usually just use it and have spaghetti the next day for myself.

The nice part is, when it is re-warmed, it is even a bit thicker.
===================
Friday, I paid $40 to get this job done.



Then the bad storms were predicted, so I went out, moved the bags over to the east side of the drive and parked my car next to them to protect from the south-west gales.  If the gales tip over my car, it will pin the bags nicely to the drive and they won't blow onto my neighbor's yard :-).



Man--it is roaring out there right now!!!



7 comments:

  1. We had so much wind on this side of the state it wasn't funny. Too dark out to see if there is much damage in the yard but I expect some.

    Your spaghetti sauce recipe looks great and how very clever to use the link sausage for meatballs! I'm half Italian and so I was glad to see you add sugar in your recipe to cut the acid in the tomatoes. In my family that's a given with any recipe with lots of tomatoes but so many people don't do it---especially in restaurants---and I can tell when I eat it.

    Your project reminds me of my mom. For Christmas she'd always give everyone jars of her famous chili sauce and I think it was my husband's favorite gift to get each year. I haven't been able to make good chili since she died. Even though I have her recipe, making chili without her loving hand in it, it just isn't the same. Your tradition will be remembered with warmth long after you're gone, Judy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My landscaper dude did my leaves on Saturday, so of COURSE there were unprecedented high winds on Sunday. I now have all my neighbors leaves in my yard!

    Your recipe sounds great. You have some lucky boys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am going to make
    1/2 of this
    and freeze in pint bags for me
    and 2 quarts for my youngest daughter
    nice to have on hand
    on cold winter nights
    when I do not feel like cooking
    Thank you...

    ReplyDelete
  4. The terrible weather in America even made it onto the UK news this morning. Stay safe! Jx

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you are safe. We've been watching the news. Awful devastation. Sad.

    Thank you for the recipe. It sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't wait to try this sauce! Hope everyone wants tomato sauce this year!

    ReplyDelete