title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Friday, November 29, 2013

It's Just For Me

Today's high temperature was: 38 degrees
A shiny day!!!
===================================

I hauled out the four plastic storage boxes of decorations and got started.  About 1/3 of what I used to put up when I lived in the farm house, but, have given a lot away and this is just enough for me.  I also gave away all my outside lights--thinking two years ago that I would never be able to walk around and put lights on the bushes.  Well--I could now, but it is just as well that I don't, because, usually in January when they need to come down, there is a ton of snow or ice or both on the bushes, and it is hard work!

Father Christmas's on the shelf and Santa's on top of bureau in kitchen

The middle nativity was made in Bethlehem.  The one on the right is from Sweden and on the left from Poland.  The little Holy Family and lamb (in blue) are from Bird-In-Hand, PA.  I watched the Amish lady make them out of clay.

A cross stitched Angel picture, I made when I had better eyesight, hangs above the wooden nativities.


I sold Avon for 25 years.  These are porcelain figures that I used as demos.

The snowmen and birdhouse are over by the west window, with a basket of cinnamon scented pine cones underneath.


Thomas Kincaid ceramic tree.  It has a "road" that leads from the bottom to the top with little houses and stores along the way and an ice skating pond.

...and street lights at night and light coming from the windows of the houses.

A wooden village my sister made for me.  It resembles the area we grew up in.  The barn has our great grandfather's name on it.  The yellow building says, "Burns Twp. Grange".

Over by the front door.

The Mistletoe Bell is just in case some hunky man walks in and stands under it.  LOL.

...and it is all, just for me.  I won't have any company to see it.  Pearl might see it, or Dar, but that's all.  Family always too busy to stop in.  But--I need it!  I need the lights and the decorations from all the past years around me.  

And on Christmas Day, when I sit here all alone, I will be sick of it and start taking it down and get my house clean and put back together for the New Year, but right now...it brings a smile.

Tomorrow, the tree goes up!!






5 comments:

  1. These are all so lovely, Judy! I think it's great that you do this, and enjoy it all so much. One of the reasons I love you, your down home honesty. Beautiful!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's nice to have memory triggers around to remind you of Christmas memories from past years. You invested some much time in making things special for family now it's time to spoil yourself.

    I've never seen a Thomas Kincaid Christmas tree. That's pretty neat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Judy I love your decorations. What beautiful Nativities. Love that Kincaid tree. Enjoy your decorations...Balisha

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the little houses your sister made for you. Everything is pretty and festive. Let us see your tree when you put it up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all of your beautiful decorations! I finished all that I'm going to do this year. No big parties here so no need for everything to go out. Beside, I don't have the heart for it for some reason!

    ReplyDelete