title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Friday, November 22, 2019

I finished a genealogy for a young woman that I became friends with when I first moved here.  She had a writing group that I joined.  She has three daughter's...2 have autism and the youngest has learning disabilities.  I don't know how she does it, as the oldest one acts out at school and keeps getting suspended for a few days.  20 suspensions already this school year.  The oldest is in her senior year, very big and strong and fights with other students and teachers.

It is a real struggle for my friend.

She mentioned that she was interested in finding about her family tree.  Her parents don't want to talk about any of it, so she basically knew nothing about her grand parents.

I told her if she had the birth dates and where her parents were born, I'd do some research and see what I could come up with.  She did know that and even knew her Dad's father's name, but no dates for him.

It took me awhile, but I finally found a "path" and once I found that, up the tree I climbed.  LOL

I knew this young woman couldn't pay, although she insisted she would.  My rates are $7.00 an hour for the research and putting the book together, i.e., writing the story and scanning and adding census reports, military records, marriage licenses, death certificates---whatever I can find in my research.

When she asked me how much it would cost, I told her, "about $100.00 and you can pay me as we go along."  One day she stopped in with groceries--milk, bread, a can of soup, cheese, a candy bar and a jug of Diet Pepsi.  I found the receipt in the bottom of the bag, so I credited her invoice for that amount.

I got her book bound last week and the total for all of the research work I had done, the acid free paper for the book, printing out the pedigrees and the book binding came to $234.00.  I "fudged" and printed out an invoice for her with a total of $108.00 and apologized that it was $8.00 more than I had told her at the beginning.
====================
My daughter Karen scolded me.  "Mom!  You, of all people, can't afford to do these genealogies for free.  That work helps you pay the bills your Social Security doesn't cover.  I suppose you gave it to her before she had paid for all of it."

"Yes."

"Mom!  Don't you remember that woman that never paid you?  You mailed her the book and she never paid for it.  That's why Jen and I told you to get a hundred dollars from the person, before you started any research for them."

"Yes, but............"
==========================
BUT.....this young woman knew nothing about her heritage.  She wanted to know.  I wanted her to know.  I found the cemeteries where her grand parents are buried.  I found photos of their grave markers.  I found photos of her Great grand parents.  I found that a town in Ohio was founded and named by her 6th Great grand father.  I found she is German/Irish.

....and the look on her face, when she saw her book, was way more important than the money I may have missed out on.  

9 comments:

  1. I can understand your daughter's point of view. They see you struggle with paying your bills and probably don't want to help you out as long as they perceive that you are essentially giving money to your clients. I can also see your point of view---it's wonderful to feel appreciated. Mine is that if you want to give your labor away, that's entirely your business but you really should get the costs of printing up front before you start that part of the process. Maybe you could just gift them with a thumb drive or CD copy of family histories when you want to do something meaningful for someone you feel is deserving of your donated time. That would cost you peanuts and you could even quote them a price for a hard copy if they wanted to go the full route.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot understand how anyone could accept your work and NOT pay you. YOU work so hard and do such a great job on your genealogies. I am so grateful for the ones you did for me. When people do things like that it robs me of faith in people. What little I have left of it. But, you know in your own heart that the kindnesses you gave them is truly worth more than money.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can understand why you could do a job without getting paid (but I do hope this woman will get the money to you) because it gives you such joy. Joy is worth more than cash. That said, it would give me joy to pay my bill, so I hope this lady thinks the same way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Misadventures ... most creative people have a hard time ASKING for a reasonable fee. Maybe ask each client for a down payment (most could be $100 and this friend could have been $25), then before you plunk down money for printing and binding, get all of the rest of the money.

    To make it easier on yourself .... make up a little contract to give them BEFORE you even start. Then you don't have to say the words and feel uncomfortable asking for money. Email me a draft and I will help!!!

    Your end product is a keepsake! I thank you for each of mine. About once a year I go through them again. If you ever need/want a testimonial, I'd be happy to write one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The poor lady with the kids with disabilities! I don't know how she does it,either. I never heard of autism when I was a kid. Wonder where it is coming from?
    I know she'll love the geneology! I love mine and appreciate it so much! My son looks at it all the time. It's at his house and it gives us new things to talk about, which is great. I have a feeling you'll be repaid in ways that may not just be money, but it was very kind of you to reduce it so much! You are always so thoughtful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's nice of you to do something so kind for someone. People have done kindnesses for you so you are just paying it forward!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Judy, what a love you are. Love can't moneytize every transaction, you know?

    ReplyDelete