title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Thursday, June 27, 2019







You ask?
Who is this weird character and why is Judy with him?

I've known him since he was 10.  A neighbor and classmate of Karen's.  A kid that worked on the farm for my Daddy and played 4-H softball for him.

Character?  He certainly is!  You should see some of the stuff he posts on Face Book.  

Rabidly political?  Oh my!

Hard, crude language?  It would burn your ears and make your eyes water.

In reality?  Sweet.  Caring.  Thoughtful.  Very tender.
============
It had been about 4 years since I've seen Harold, or Hal as he likes to be called.  He came for a visit back then.


He messaged me Monday, said he would be up in Howell and wanted to know if he could take me out to lunch for my birthday.

"Sure". I said.
"I'll pick you up at one".
"Two would be better."
"Okay.  See ya at two."

So unlike me to be so spontaneous.
======================
He arrived in his Mustang convertible, offered me a hat, which I declined and off we went.

A restaurant in Howell that specializes in steak and seafood.  Classy place.  Was I a bit embarrassed to walk in with him?  Not a bit.  He is quirky and today--quirky is cool.

He said to order whatever I wanted, so I did.  He retired from Dow Chemical Corporation at age 55, lives alone, has lots of moola--"live it up", he said.

I had French Onion soup, giant shrimp cocktail and a Maine lobster tail.  It was superb!.  He had raw steak 2 inches thick.

We talked--for 2 hours--politics, religion, the old days.  Memories he had of my Daddy and Karen and the other kids in their class, which of course I know.

Back in the convertible and home.

He doesn't talk rough, around me.  He is very respectful, around me.  He continually made me laugh.

I asked him if he was going to their class reunion--40 years.  He said, "Sure."  I told him I'd see him there.....because I had already been invited to attend by the other "kids" in his class.  They were and still are, my favorite class of all my kids.
===================
What a great day.

10 comments:

  1. So nice, Judy. I'm glad you had a great time! Hal reminds me of a couple of people I've known through the years.

    You look good by that convertible. :)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful way to spend an afternoon. I've known other guys like Hal and they are a joy to be around. So glad you had this visit to spice up your life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a happy, fun and funny day! Sometimes spontaneous works! Food is always such a great gift. Glad you went!

    ReplyDelete
  4. what great fun and yummy meal! So glad you got to visit and enjoy
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun day for you..and in a convertible no less! Wonderful! Your lunch sounds divine. What a great treat for you.
    Love it!
    Cheers,
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  6. P.S. Your photos are a great memorie of a fun day. Hal is good at taking pictures. When ever "the Black Dog" comes around to bring you down..just look at how happy you and Hal are together.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Judy, I so enjoyed both our posting words and your photographs. Isn't is wonderful to have friends who are the next generation down. The next generation up is wonderful also but I'm at the age when I am that next up! I'm so glad Hal came, took you out to lunch, and shared an invigorating and thought-provoking conversation with you. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great friend, and wow, a great meal! You are young at heart!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a great guy and a fantastic lunch!!

    ReplyDelete