title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Sunday, November 25, 2018

I just found out that my blog was hacked last week!

Apparently, some old, lonely, cranky woman got into my blog and posted a real pity party for herself.  She was writing under my name and impersonating herself as me!  The nerve!

Well, I've finally gotten rid of her and will try to keep her out.  How she gains access is beyond me, but every now and then, she sneaks in.
==================
My daughter Karen and her hubs Mark, spent Thanksgiving with his mother.  His Dad died just a few weeks ago, and his siblings live out of State.  It was nice that they could be with her.  Those first holidays are so tough on new widows.

Karen called me that night to tell me she missed not being with me on Thanksgiving and that she loved me.  Then Saturday she called again on their way home and made arrangements to pick me up on December 8th to go to the Nutcracker performance to watch Madeleine dance.

Pam called on Friday.  She had spent Thanksgiving day with her friend and his family--she spends each Thanksgiving with them.

Son Mark and his "wife" always spend Thanksgiving with her family.  They usually spend the weekend there and come home on Sunday.

I got all my laundry done that day and had time to sit and crochet on a new project and watch a couple of really good classic movies.

Friday, which seemed like another holiday because regular TV programming was kaput.  My Soap was pre-empted by a stupid hockey game.  So I worked on a genealogy.

Yesterday, I watched the BIG game--big in this area anyway.  University of Michigan played The Ohio State University.  I despise U of M as much as anyone, so I was whooping a lot as Ohio State trounced their arrogant A**es.  

My newly married Grandson Marcus, who graduated from U of M, and his lovely wife, who is a rabid Ohio State fan, had a game watching party.  I wouldn't have wanted to be there!  I hope their marriage can withstand these yearly bouts of intense rivalry.

Our family has always been very competitive when it comes to sports and games.   Nobody gets mad, but the winners do strut around for awhile.  I distinctly remember when Karen was 10, the first time she beat me at Canasta.  She ran through the house, upstairs and down, waving the score sheet,  yelling, "I beat Mom!  I beat Mom." and the other kids and Dad gave me a good "nah, nah, nah, a nah, nah."  We learn early on how to be a good loser.
BTW--she still has that score sheet, packed away in a cedar chest.

Karen's large family has taken on this attitude.  Their kids, as were mine, were taught how to play games and cards when they were young.  They were playing Chess at 10 years old.  I taught mine how to play Backgammon at about that age.  

We always had a game day between Christmas and New Years.  We'd all stay in our pajamas, even Dad, and play different games.  Have a Backgammon tournament or an intense game of Sorry.

Karen kept this tradition going.  I went one year and found myself involved in a game of Trivial Pursuit.  How those kids thought they could beat grandma and all the wisdom in her brain was beyond me and of course, I beat them all.  I even got up and did a "strut" around the big dining room table.   After that, whenever the kids wanted to play Trivial Pursuit, there were calls for, "I want Gramma on my team"...ah the joy of it all.

Part of that is supposed to take place on December 27th when we get together for our Holiday family gathering.  All the grand kids and their significant others will be there, my kids (except for Jennifer's family) and my sister, BIL and her son Adam.   

I'm trying real hard not to have any expectations, but Grand Girl Helene has already asked me if I will play a game of Cribbage with her.

Life is good.

17 comments:

  1. Glad to see you back again, Judy. Funny how a few phone calls from family can banish the "hacker" off your blog.

    Now, you need to get to planning something special to do for Christmas eve to keep your mind off the fact that you'll be celebrating on the 27th with your family instead of your preferred date. I know Christmas Eve has always been your thing but young people have to divide their time between two families, sometimes even three and at our ages we have to remember what that kind of pressure was like when we were young. Start your own Christmas Eve tradition of taking cookies to a few neighbors or inviting someone over for snacks or spend the evening making something special for the 27th. But my best advice? Plan on being upbeat and positive on the 27th. It's not a time to lay a guilt trip on family because you perceive changing the celebration from the 24th to the 27th as some kind of broken promise. Way too many peoples' schedules have to jive to get hung up on a date to celebrate with most people in the family all at one time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome advice! Make Chex Mix ... my favorite!

      Delete
    2. Jean--I've never laid a guilt trip yet and don't plan too.
      I AM making Chex Mix and an awesome recipe for taco chip dip.

      Delete
  2. So happy things are going better for you. I had wondered why you and Pam didn't spend Thanksgiving together. I believe she isn't too far away from you. Is that right? So thanks for filling us in..and it is great that Karen called. Great first paragraph!. LOL Many of us who are on our own, do have bad days and feel left out. Cheers to you Judy , from Ontario.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, thank the good Lord the 'hacker' is gone now; I was beginning to worry. But, if you felt better after getting all that off your chest, then good for you!

    Yes, I too miss the times from long ago when every single one of our immediate family got together on Christmas Eve. But, it's all good.

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. life is good judy but you should not be alone on a holiday, i hope that does not happen again on christmas!! i am happy you got rid of the hacker...but either way, i'm ok!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Judy's back!!! I think blogging the good, the bad AND the ugly is good for your soul. And your kids did not have to hear about it. Always do it HERE and not Facebook!! Happy family!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My grandkids know it's best not to ask me to play games, especially card games as I have no card sense. Their other grandma, their Nana, however, is quite the game player and always brings the game with her.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you are feeling better. The holidays are a bad time. I hope Christmas will be better. To me, I try to just think of it as normal days. I guess I have really lived too long.
    I have a Kindle fire and it came with Alexa. I turned her off; I don't want her ordering things without me knowing! Maybe you'd like it, but for me, I was over it in a day or two!! I just don't like AI talking as if it were human!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hackers are a nuisance. That is part of the reason I stopped blogging...plus I had little traffic and felt I was kind of wasting my time. A few times someone got into my blog and started sending stuff to timbuctoo and it was nothing but drivel
    Glad you ended up with a good Thanksgiving even if it wasn't on Thursday. But I am wondering why the kids did not tell you ahead of time what was going to happen so you weren't left high and dry on Thursday. I spent the day with my husband...made a turkey breast and all the trimmings and we ate leftovers for the next three days.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A lonely cranky woman hacked your blog, you are too funny! It sounds like your family had lots of obligations and I do see cribbage games in your future with your granddaughter, and the Nutcracker Ballet to look forward to.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aaaaarggghhh I detest board games! Well, maybe not all of them, but as a rule I avoid competition. Maybe I just can't stand to lose; all my kids are too smart and/or too fast for me. They can't beat me at Scrabble though, haaahaha! Merry Christmas Judy! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. I’ll bet you’re hacker is someone masquerading as a lonely old woman just for fun trying to aggravate you.

    Got a kick out of your OSU vs U.M game reaction. I did watch game and must confess enjoyed the outcome. My husband an OSU alumni — would likely have had football scholarship there but WWII started and they didn’t award any, then he became ill for a couple years so football no longer possible for him. He was avid fan but could enjoy competitive spirit. Recall when young couple moved across the street and she was UM alum. They kibbitzed back and forth for days preceding. The big game came and UM won. He got a stick and fastened a white cloth on it like a flag and stuck it out in our front yard after the game. Lots of laughs! My DIL has family at both UM and MI State so must be complicated knowing who to root for in her family. Think a family member started UM Medical Dept. years ago. Think my son has been converted to UM fan as other than his Dad he had no ties to OSU.

    Yeah, with no family around or having other obligations we have to entertain ourselves differently or create new traditions if we want those. I’m quite content planning and doing my own thing — as little or as much as I want to do — expect little so phone calls always icing on the cake from across the miles.

    My Mom did the same thing years ago with Trivial Pursuit totally astonishing my daughter’s boyfriend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hiya, new reader here! I seem to have the same 'hacker' pop up on my blog from time to time. She's a bit caustic & prone to the occasional rant. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bea. You are new here? Enter with caution. Sometimes that caustic, angry, old woman side of me appears with no warning! LOL

      Delete
  13. Dear Judy, I'm so glad the hacker retreated into Cloud Cuckoo Land and left you to be your own contented self. Phone calls from family and friends can change everything for us. And hearing a compliment or knowing that someone values our age and delights in being with us can be the gift, not only of a day, but of a whole month.

    I'm so relieved that you are at peace with all this is happening. It's inspiring. Peace.

    ReplyDelete