title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Thursday, July 26, 2018

Still waiting for rain.  Over the weekend, places down by Detroit got flooding downpours.  Up north of me, got flooding downpours.  The weather radar map showed green stuff right over where I live, but it never made it to the ground.  Howell--which is 2.5 miles west and a skosh north of me, got rain.  Brighton--which is 2.5 miles east and a skosh south of me, got rain.  We got sprinkles and not even enough to wet down the street.  Today's forecast--severe thunderstorms, heavy downpours, but probably not for this area.

I got my grandson-in-law's afghan done.  It had a neat edging I had never done before.  Reverse, half-double crochet.  It made a real nice rope-like edging all around the afghan.  It almost looks like red, white and blue in this photo, but it is light gray, claret and navy.  The thing is over 6' long--he's 6'5".


=============================
I have been concerned about my big gray Buddy Cat.  




Once plump (too plump) and feisty, he was frightened horribly about 18 months ago.  Since then, he has lost weight.  He acts scared and won't come out into the living room if the ceiling fan is on.  Then I noticed he wasn't jumping up on the couch for his nap, and couldn't jump up on the bed at night.

I decided he probably has arthritis in his hips.  I started him on glucosamine/chrondrotin and within two weeks, he started losing the fur on his hind quarters.  So I stopped the supplement.

There was gray and white fur all over the place.  I watched him.  He wasn't pulling it out, the fur was just falling off him.  Alopecia for sure.  I read up on it and guess what, it can be caused by stress!

In June I noticed he just seemed to be failing.  He slept under the bed all day.  He was still eating well and not over drinking, so I didn't think he had diabetes, but he just seemed...........sad.

I bought him an "egg-crate" memory foam bed for him to nap on, behind my chair.  That seemed to help a bit.  Then two weeks ago, I started him back on Cosequin.  WOW!  What a difference.  He walks a lot faster and even runs now.  He has started eating more and seems more playful.  Yesterday, he went over to their toy basket, pulled out one of the bigger toys, held it and was laying on his back giving it "rabbit kicks".

He and Maggie were wrestling last night and having a good time.  I tried to take a photo, but when they saw the camera, they stopped and wouldn't look at me and looked away, like they were guilty of something.  I noticed he had somehow jumped up on my bed and was taking his nap.  I think he was in so much arthritic pain it affected his personality.


He's still scared of the ceiling fan and if I walk behind him, while they are eating, he will run into the bedroom and crawl under the bed until I go into another room.  My poor baby has emotional problems!
======================

10 comments:

  1. One of my grand kitties died last night. That’s a super big deal at my son’s house. I love cats but don’t grieve like they do when one dies. I hope your big grey boy keeps feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. awww I'm glad Buddy is better.

    I love the afghan, Judy. So beautiful.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cats and dogs, when they start to age, seems to do it overnight. How old is Buddy? Hope he continues to gain his health back.

    The afghan is beautiful and I love that edging, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe some day I will get a chance to make a afghan, and it such lovely color.
    We haven't had much rain lately and the first part of week it could reach a 100
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
  5. Same situation here about the rain. We live in an area between mountains and the river and the rain seems to favor those places, going around us. We're very dusty and waiting to get into the hay field again next week.
    Your afghan is wonderful! Lucky guy!
    All my cats live at the barn; how I'd love to have one I could just hold!

    ReplyDelete
  6. the afghan is gorgeous, i really like the edge!! we have been getting rain off and on but none is forecasted for the weekend. i am happy and hope to spend some time in the pool!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Poor Buddy! I hope he'll be okay. I am a cat person!
    Love the afghan, and the edging is really unusual. Not sure I could figure that one out! Must feel good to have it done. Have done anymore on the last supper?
    xoxo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cats seem to be quirky and especially as they age. So sorry, Buddy. Hope you continue to enjoy the fountain of youth! I may start on the regime myself!

    The afghan is amazing! I love the style and the colors and the edging. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awwww, poor little critter! I hope he starts to feel better. Rizzo is scared of his own shadow but I've never seen him depressed. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. My cat had the same problem as yours.... fur falling out. If he lay on the couch, the couch would be covered. He is 14 and getting stiff, can't jump on things the way he used too. He is also overweight. We took him to the vet. She said he is probably shedding so much because he can no longer groom himself properly. The fur is mostly coming off on his back near his tail, where he can't reach anymore. She gave us the glucosamine pills and told us to brush him a couple of times a day.

    ReplyDelete