title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Monday, July 30, 2018

Our friend Sally over here, posted about going back to see her childhood home.  

Her post brought up a whole lot of memories because it looks almost exactly like the first house we built after we were married.  I'll bet it was the same floor plan.

Ours was built on a slab, so no basement to put a furnace in.  Just a wall oil heater, expected to keep the whole house warm.  No registers in each room.  In the winter time, the kids beds, shoved up against each wall, would have their blankets stuck to the wall with ice.  Apparently not much insulation in the outer walls either.

3 bedrooms, a bathroom, kitchen, dining room and living room.  It was all we needed.
but I must admit, 10 years later I was ecstatic to move into my grandma's big two story home!

From this:


To this:


...but when we were first married, we started out with this...

==================
I had a total crop failure on my sweet corn experiment in the raised bed out by my shed.  I think either crows or raccoons dug up and ate the corn seed as soon as I planted it!  My cherry tomatoes are coming in now and I have two tiny cucs on my "tub" cucumber plant.


I bring them in and let them ripen on the counter.  Then I pop them in my mouth!!
=========================
I have started a new baby afghan.  I have ripped it out 6 times!  The pattern is one I have never done--with puff stitches to make letters to spell out words.  As you can imagine, I have to count the stitches carefully or the letters won't line up correctly.  Plus, the puff stitches are done while I am working on the opposite side--so I can't see how they line up until that row is done.  I think I've got it now though.


16 comments:

  1. Yes, we probably had about the same square footage. We didn't have a dining room; when you went in the front door there was space like an entry with living room and fireplace on the left. The kitchen had a built in table with built in benches. It was small, but so cute. I loved it, and especially having my own room. :)

    I'm glad it brought back memories for you, Judy. That's always a good thing, I think.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you walked into ours, you walked right into the living room. We had a "pass through" that looked into the kitchen. The dining room was off the living room. A hall led to 3 bedrooms and the bath. The house was like 24'x32'. No garage, only a carport.

      Delete
    2. Judy, it looks and sounds so much like our first, (current, and last!) house. A GI house with walls !/4" thick, you walk into the living room, and with that "pass-through kitchen", with enough room for a table. Then along the hall, three tiny bedrooms and a bathroom. We also had an oil space heater, which we endured from '66-2004...it would burn you up, except in the bath and bedrooms. No doors except for the bedrooms and bath. No closet doors---I still have a rod and curtain for each! There were no cabinets surrounding either sink and there were just two cabinets in the kitchen; less than 1,000 square feet in all! But it had indoor plumbing and a tub, which I'd never had.
      If it had had a fireplace, I'd have thought I was in Heaven! It was about 3 miles from my "childhood home". (I haven't gotten very far, huh!) Still, it has sheltered us for 52 years, and although it is very humble---there is no place like home.

      Delete
  2. We had almost the same floor plan, except no dining room. The heat came from a propane wall heater and I think the only warm spot in the whole house was right in front of that heater! But it was new and clean and we were young.

    I stay away from any complicated patterns. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only warm spot--yes--in front of heater. We wore a lot of sweaters in those days. We were 20 & 19, so it was like a mansion to us.

      Delete
  3. You sure don't mind tackling complicated handwork projects! I admire that. Probably helps keep your mind so sharp.

    My brother's first house as a married man was a trailer much like yours. Now, couples want to start out in brand new houses and all new furnishings. Hard to believe the expectations of young people these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does help to keep my mind sharp--or just how senile my mind is getting--one or the other. LOL
      Those couples who want the big new houses both have to work to get it and then fill it with children that they are never home to relate too. We started out with used furniture, used pots and pans, no washer or dryer. My Mom sewed all the curtains . I laid much of the vinyl tile flooring and together, my hubs and I drilled our own well by using a heavy steel cylinder that we raised and then let drop on the pipe in the ground. His uncle owned an appliance store, so we got a deal on a fridge and stove. We got our first 17" TV three years later. Ahh--the good old days!

      Delete
  4. this reminds me of the saying "home is where you are"!! my cucumber plant is beautiful but i have only gotten a few cucumbers - so unlike previous seasons. and not one tomato yet - i am in garden fail yard mode!!

    the blanket is gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cold late spring and too hot and dry late June and July have not helped with the growing of "crops", in our tubs or the farmer's fields.

      Delete
  5. it still blows my mind that my parents brought property / built a house for about 30,00 tops back then and that some SUV that a friend of my son's bought cost them 75000 / it's crazy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness that baby blanket! I've never seen anything like it. What a masterpiece it's going to be. Those little tomatoes look so good. Sorry about your sweet corn! My Greg would commiserate with you. He loves corn on the cob. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have sweet corn sellers all over this area. I just wanted to grow my own.
      The baby afghan is coming along quickly, now that I have it figured out. I wonder which future great grand child will get it.

      Delete
  7. That baby blanket is the sweetest. we are getting tomatoes buy the bucket right now and I am wondering why I planted so many. Love your first house but I bet it was a tight fit.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seem to remember we had a lot of room. But also, we moved to my grandma's big farmhouse when the kids were 9,8 & 6, so that move was good timing. :-)

      Delete
  8. That blanket is "adorable." Sounds like a real job though.
    When we lived at Dad's, a family of deer who roamed the neighborhood used to get into our garden. I saw one of them actually pull an entire tomato plant out of the ground. Poor things. Development chased them out of their territory. They have to eat something, so they graze on the apple trees and gardens of the neighborhood. Eventually, my nephew brought some fishing net and stringing that around the garden kept them out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Out on The Farm we have had to put up regular fencing to keep them out, complete with stakes in each corner and along the sides.

      Delete