title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Saturday, September 30, 2017

I'm not liking anything right now--so you might want to move on...............

A cool, crisp Saturday--perfect football weather.  The University of Michigan Wolverines, have a "bye", which means they won't play today.  My Michigan State Spartans do play, but not until 4:00 this afternoon.  They play the Iowa Hawkeyes and will probably get beat.   This is not a good year for my Spartan football team.  

But--who really cares?   Well, yes, a lot of people, but in the whole scheme of life--does it really matter?  I watch--because I always have and it gives me an excuse to sit in my recliner and cross stitch all afternoon.

I'm still fighting depression.  I get the occasional God Moments, which bring joy, which lasts a few days.  Then the loneliness and worries come back, nibbling along the edges of my mind.  

If you have never experienced depression, you wouldn't--or you couldn't, understand how it feels. Even I don't understand it.  

Keep busy, they say.  Yes--I do, but my busyness now consists of putting the gardens to bed, which means sitting in my canvas chair, weeding, and pulling and filling up yard waste bags, which leaves a lot of time for thinking or remembering.

Cleaning house, vacuuming--every chore is so automatic that I don't have to think about it, which...leaves a lot of time for thinking.

Get out and do something, go somewhere, visit someone.  Lovely idea too.  But, my major worry is how to get through the month on the money I have.  I am allowed $20.00 for gas a month.  I can't just get in my car and drive to places for the fun of it.  I can drive "up" to visit my sister and have lunch with the Old School Gal Pals once a month.  Even then, I worry about how much lunch is going to cost--not something I have built into my budget.

I have my budget all set up in an Excel spread sheet.  On the left are my expenses, with a total at the bottom.  On the right, my income, with a total at the bottom.  Then a space that reveals how much is left over.  That space is in red, every single month.

There is no room for emergencies.  That is my biggest fear.  The "what ifs".

So the beginning of each month, when I print out my budget, the depression begins all over again.

It also makes me angry because I don't know how I ended up this way.  Well, that's not entirely true--I do know.  But that makes me angry too because it wasn't my fault and then I have a pity party in my mind.  "Woe is me.  I don't deserve this.  It's not my fault!"

Shut up and live with the cards you were dealt!

When I worked and got $1,000.00 a month wages, I was sitting pretty.  Now, that amount doesn't even cover my expenses.  
===========
I haven't had a genealogy to do in 4 months.  That little extra bit I was making really helped.  I had tucked $600.00 away and used $100.00 a month to balance my budget.  Then I had to get my computer repaired = $200.00 and two months later, another $200.00 repair and cleaning or get a new one for $375.00.  At the time, a new one seemed the smartest choice.  If I am doing genealogy work, I need a good computer with enough storage and one that has the latest updates Windows, etc.  There went my "stash" and haven't done a genealogy since.

I had thought of putting a red light out on my porch--turn it on at night and make a little money that way.  Except, for every dollar I made, I'd have to give the guy 75 cents in change!!!  Besides that, with my old hips, I don't think I'd be a very active participant.  So no money in being a "lady of the evening."
============
So--it is a GOOD thing that I have my Spartan football to watch and my cross stitch to do.  It makes me concentrate on something other than myself.
==============
Sorry for the downer--who wants to read such a negative blog post as this!!!  It's just that I would never tell someone this in "real life", verbally, so I guess you have to take the brunt of my feelings.  Or you could just move on to a more positive blog writer--they are posted on my right side-bar--that might be best for your mood!!

25 comments:

  1. You've heard it before and you've probably said it to others but I just have to say it: This too will past! I'm in the same funk you are right now and I know we have to self-talk ourselves out of the depression. No one else it going to do it for us....but it's nice when they try. LOL

    We all make mistakes along the way in life and we all occasionally beat ourselves up for them. And if everyone is honest with themselves and others, we all have our little pity parties once in a while. The key is not to sit on that pot too long, to find something that makes us feel good again. You'll get there and so will I. We're survivors you and I.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the strangest thing--when I read your blog and saw you state that you were in a funk, I was--no happy, but...it kind of made me feel that I wasn't the only one and that sort of relieved me. LOL

      Delete
  2. Judy, I think we all go through the 'down' times. As I've aged I'm finding it's not what I imagined it would be and it is depressing. I feel a lot more vulnerable than ever knowing I'm alone, and gosh there are so many of us! I will not tell you at all to "snap out of it" because I know it's not at all simple and even though in my own mind I know worrying about things don't change anything I still do. Thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't seem to worry about most things, anymore, because at my age I learned, it doesn't change a thing and just makes us sick. I talk about my deep faith and it makes me embarrassed when I don't seem to be "walking the walk".

      Delete
  3. Yep, I have those parties for myself a lot. No one else invited of course. I have the "what ifs" all the time. We just have to keep on hanging in there! And I do like to read what you have to say!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't have a choice except to "hang in there" do we?

      Delete
  4. I'm not in your age category yet... headed there fast... but I too battle depression. I understand what you mean. I cry 5 out of the 7 days most weeks. Sad that the past has past, sad for the loved ones that are gone. Sad that my grandsons are growing up and leaving me, I'm proud of them, but sad too. It's like I have nothing to look forward to, so I look backwards. And then I feel crazy for it because I tell myself I should be thankful for what I DO have. What I'm trying to say is i'm there with you. I look forward to your posts everyday. Tried to find you on Facebook but can't. Thanks for listening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't cry--I can't cry or I might never stop. The grandkids growing and leaving. The kids that don't seem to have time to even call and say "Hi". and the knowledge that these things aren't going to change. I look backwards a lot and remember all the good times and wonder...how did I get to this place.
      On FB, find me at Judith Walts-Miller (brighton, mi) You'll recognize my face or my Timeline background of "Spartan for Life". LOL

      Delete
  5. now at 82
    understand so well
    always took such good care of myself
    so many blessings
    but it seems now - I can hardly walk.
    Oh children who do not see me often
    say on the phone - you write good, you sound good
    and I reply
    but I do not walk good
    thankful for the cane
    but never thought I would be using one
    and constantly afraid of falling
    So ashamed for sharing as it could be much worse.
    Afraid of another fall and breaking something...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure could be much worse.
      That's why I get angry at myself for being depressed!

      Delete
  6. Congrats on your Michigan State's win. My team, Penn State, won again today as well.
    Hang in there, things will turn around...keep the faith.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Penn State is going to do it all this year!!
      I can't wait to see them beat the UofM Wolverines AND Ohio State!!

      Delete
  7. I've been down most of my life, really. Just the way I was born and raised, I guess. I've had just wonderful times in my life. But most of the time, I wondered what normal was. I feel like I have to put on a "face" when I go out. Because I've fallen so many times since 2016,, my back won't let me do anything! Using a cane or walker at 67 wasn't the "plan", but it's a fact now, my neck and lower back are both out of whack. But I have it better than some---than so many!

    I was poor and so was my husband---so we've really never gotten "ahead" like others in our group from the '60s.. I know money is nowhere close to being everything at all, but I believe it does take at least one stress away---being able to pay bills! To buy new shoes and clothes, and what your kids ask for Christmas---very few years that has happened in our life happened here.
    Having had money must make not having it now must be more stressful and worrisome.
    You're a good person, Judy---at least know that. Things always change. I pray you feel a good change coming is soon. You deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't want or need a lot of money. Yes--it does ease the stress. It would be nice to have just enough to make it through each month and I know you know how that feels. I hope David is doing better--I think of his every time I see an ad for Humira! Love you, Trudy.

      Delete
    2. David is so, so hopeful about the Humira! He spent the night here with us last night and I could see his ribs and count every one. There is so much ha can't ea! But we had such a good evening with him here. 😊 Love you back, Jude!

      Delete
  8. Depression is a tough thing. I've come to believe that most of us experience it at one time or another. You've been through a lot, and you still have a lot to contend with. I know you will get through this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am telling you to realize and be grateful for still having your husband...and I know you are. AND--be wise financially, so if anything happens, you will be able to stay where you are now, in your own home. I wish I had a "helper", it sure would make everything easier to live.

      Delete
  9. Judy, we all have our moments; don't beat yourself up. My moments are less since I had my brain zapped (you think I'm kidding). :)

    Take care of you, and just always write how you feel; it does help.

    Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I could use a good brain zap, but I'm afraid it would erase all my memories! It's just such a tiring feeling. Not physically tiring, but emotionally tiring. Well--you know what I mean.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Everybody needs a sounding board once in a while. That's one reason you're blog family is here. You give us so much joy through reading your blog. So, shouldn't we also be there for you when you need to sound off? Life ain't easy. But we have ears and heart and we will listen and try to lift you up Judi. Hope you have a better day tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Judy, I understand - regarding comment
    not on blood thinner, nasty wound in the spring, now told I am on my feet too much but feel better when moving. So elevate and ice
    thank you - please feel better...

    ReplyDelete
  13. awwww judy, this was a tough read. i don't know anything about depression on a personal level. i learned about it many years ago in nursing school - but back then, they were still using shock treatments. i would like to say something meaningful, something that would make you smile, but i understand it is not that simple!!

    every day, when i wake up and put my feet on the floor, i say "today, i will be happy - today is going to be the best day i my life"!!! i do that because i remember when i couldn't walk, because of MS. and just in case, i want to be prepared. it does work for me, but i have never really dealt with depression, just sadness when my disease is at it's worst!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This makes me so sad, Judy. It's good though that you vent to us. We're all in this struggle together. There's a saying that I learned in a 12 step program years ago that I'm sure you've already heard but it's definitely worth repeating. "Let go and let God." I find that the tighter I'm holding on to worry about our finances, family problems, my children, the future of our country and this world, etc. the more difficult things are to handle. I'm not a religious person but I have a very strong faith in something much bigger than us that I choose to call God. I believe that if I turn things over to God I will get thru. One day at a time. Things have worked out so far and I don't ever see that changing. When I feel like I'm starting to sink a bit, I ask God for the willingness to let go again. I hope I don't sound like I'm preaching because that's the last thing I want to do. In fact, I don't really talk about this part of my life much because my relationship with God is very personal to me. I hope that your depression lifts soon. I'm so sorry that you're feeling this way. I wish we lived closer. I'd come and bring you coffee and a hug. : ) xoxoxo

    ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy--all the times I've "preached on", giving all my worries to God. God's promises are the same now as they were in the beginning and I don't see that changing.Oh my Gosh--I know all that. So I better put my mind where my treasure is--right?

      Delete
  15. I understand depression. Winston Churchill, a sufferer, called it the "black dog." It sat on his chest at night and rode his back in the day. I'm sorry you are feeling so poorly. I am praying for you, my friend. xoxo

    ReplyDelete