title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Thursday, September 21, 2017

A loss for words............

Yes--me.  Who never is at a loss for words and at times, should be--perhaps?

I don't know what to call these unexpected meetings with people that, A.  Should never have happened and B.  Left me in a state of awe.

I want to be able to put a title on it.  "God Sighting"?  "God Whisper"?  "Angel Meeting"?  

"Lovely Coincidence"?  Well, it's more than that because, it never should have happened.  There have always been unexpected or even changes earlier in the day that have resulted in these "occurrences".

Just like with Deputy Lawson, last week.  I ALWAYS--ALWAYS stop at that 4-way stop sign.  I didn't on last Thursday and as a result, got to meet Deputy Lawson and that meeting re-charged my spirit.

"Life Changing"?  No--that's too big a title.  Not life changing.  

All I know is that, these rare occurrences fill me with wonder, because, as I said before, they never should have happened.
=============
Yesterday.  My appointment at the Food Bank.  Like it always is--every third Wednesday of the month at 11:00.  Always.

The night before, I made a list of my Wednesday activities.  Food Bank.  Bank deposit.  Walmart- pick up prescription, milk, tuna, onion, candy, cocoa, bread.  Use food card=$33.00 on it.

I woke up, said my prayers, fed the cats, no milk or cocoa for my hot cup of chocolate, so I grabbed a protein drink, came in and clicked on Face Book.  At 9:30, I looked at my calendar and then glanced over to make sure I had everything I needed for my trip to the food bank and Walmart.

Checked my e-mails, checked some blog posts.  Glanced down at the computer clock and noticed, it was 10:55--froze!  "OH MY GOSH.  I HAVE TO BE AT GLEANER'S IN FIVE MINUTES!!!"

Ran into the bathroom, jumped into some clothes, realized.............11:15, ..........it ain't happening.

I got a Diet Pepsi our of the fridge, came back in the computer room and called them and explained and apologized for missing my appointment.

"We have one opening this afternoon," the lady said.

"Oh good.  What time?"

"Five fifteen."

I groaned to myself.  "Nothing tomorrow?"

"No.  We are filled up until next week."

"I'm afraid there won't be anything left that I use that late in the day."

"We close from three to five to restock the shelves."

"Okay...thanks.  I'll see you at five fifteen.  Thanks again."
==============
Just great!  I had messed up my whole day!   I'd have to go to the bank and Walmart before I stopped at the food bank.  What if I got delayed and was late to the appointment?  Things happen.

So, at 2:00, I went up to the bank and Walmart, picked-up my prescription, got my few groceries = $27.00, I used my Bridge Card (food stamp).

I got home around 3:00, emptied out the car, put everything away and sat down to rest and watch coverage of Hurricane Maria.

I must have dozed off because I woke with a startle, looked at the clock, 4:40.  Good thing the food bank is only 2 miles away.    Traffic was heavy at that time of day, of course, but I pulled into the parking lot at 5:10.
============
I was greeted by a man that looked familiar to me, but...I'm always seeing people I think I know, but don't know.

He asked if he could help me find anything, "No thanks. I'm good. Thank you."

I walked up and down the aisles in the small store.  I found a gallon of drinking water--which brought me great glee.  No cat food.  I didn't need peanut butter, jelly, flour--no canned goods of any kind.  Pork and beans.  

I am allowed 60#.  Some things don't count toward weight.  Some items are restricted--like 2 meats, 1 peanut butter, 1 sugar.

I walked up to the scales and the same man pulled my cart up to be weighed.  "You only have twenty-two pounds.  Don't you want to go back and get more?"

"No.  I only take what I will need...usually around twenty-four pounds.  I scored today with the gallon of water.  I was glad to find that.  I did need cat food, but.........."

"Wait here a minute."

He walked off and a few minutes later came back, carrying two more gallons of water and said, "If you want, we just got cat food in.  I haven't had time to get it stocked yet, but you can look it over.  See if it's anything you could use."

Oh my Gosh.  Cans and cans of all different kinds of wet cat food.  I picked-up six cans and brought them up to my cart.

"You do know that pet food doesn't count toward weight.  Why don't you go back and get six more cans?"

"Oh, I don't want to take it all.  Someone else will need it too."

"We have more cases of it in the back room.  Go on.  Help yourself."

So, I did.

While I was waiting to be checked out, the guy disappeared again.  I asked one of the ladies, "That guy looks so familiar to me."

"Ohh, you mean David.  David Seifert?"

"Oh my Gosh!  He is friends with my daughter's (Karen) family.  They go to the same church!"

So when he came back, carrying another gallon of water for me, I said, "David, I'm sorry I didn't recognize you.  I knew you look familiar, but........"

"We met at Stephen's open house and then at Maddie's.  How's the family doing?"

"Just great.  Marcus is engaged."

"I had heard that.  And that great grand baby of yours?"

"They are having her first birthday party in October."

"Could I help carry this out for you?"

When we got to my car and while he was putting the stuff in my trunk, I said, "I knew I knew you when you greeted me at the door, but a different surrounding and I couldn't place where I had met you."

"Well, I don't say anything to our clients unless they recognize me first.  They might be embarrassed."

"A couple of years ago, I would have been.  I've put my pride way up on the top shelf in the closet.  Thank you so much, David.  I so appreciate this place and appreciate you volunteering here.  Thanks again."

"God bless you," he said.

"He certainly has," I replied.
=====================
IF I hadn't missed my regular appointment, this lovely encounter wouldn't have happened.  Because he knew me, he helped me get things I would not have seen.

IF I had dozed a few more minutes--I would have missed that appointment.

If, if, if!
==========
A coincidence?  I don't think so.  

What to call these kinds of things?  I haven't any idea.

I just look upwards and say, "I know that was you.  Thank you, God."

9 comments:

  1. Amen! Judy, your faith shines through in these stories. So wonderful to hear someone thank God for such happenings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why do you have to put a 'name' on it? :-) I am not being wise-ass!!! Not at all. And if it makes you happy, to put a name on it, that is great.

    It just rang-a-bell with me. :-) Something that I wonder about, a lot. The need for humans, to put a "name" on things.... To find some sort of "explanation" for everything.

    Ancient peoples, just "had" to know "why" there was thunder! So they invented a God of Thunder. "Why" was the sun up there? Had to be a Sun God. "Why" was the ocean, so scary? Had to be an Ocean God. Etc. Etc. Etc.

    And following those ancient people's ideas, came the desire to try to make these powerful gods, do good stuff for them. And not do destructive stuff.

    Voila! Came ancient religions! All sorts of them, down through the ages. Some remain. Some have faded.

    Some had sacrifice, as part of their practice. Most don't anymore. (But don't forget the Catholics... Still change bread/wine into body/blood!!!!!! For people to eat!!! Brrrrr... I had a hard time with that one, for years!!!)

    And then there is all the science, of the "why" of the Universe!!!! Looking, pondering, making charts, sending space stuff up, to take pictures, and on and on.

    So, all in all, a lot of we humans have an almost inborn need, to put a 'name' or give a 'reason' for... Everything.

    Guess I am part not-human!!!! LOL Because I gave that up, years ago. It happens... It happens.... I don't care why...

    See what happens, when you set me off, on thinking about something, I have wondered about, for years?!?!? A long, long comment happens, that's what! >,-))))))))))

    Luna Crone

    ReplyDelete
  3. It may be no more than a coincidence, but it's still a great story of happy serendipity. God is always right, and He is always good. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I call it serendipity---which are happy accidents or accidental happiness. Glad you had a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad also, as Jean says, a great day. And, a happy one! :)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! What a wonderful and bountiful day! Lots of great water to drink! And your kiddies (kitties) get a good treat too. SERENDIPITY!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Jean and others, serendipity! I find when I am in an open and positive place, those things come to me, too. How lovely that all came together for you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What ever it was, I'm glad it made you happy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree that there is no such thing as a coincidence. I call them a God incidence. I just loved this post Judy. There is magic all around us. We just have to believe in it and it sounds like you do. God bless!! xoxo

    ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete