title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Monday, December 15, 2014

It's A Wonderful Life.....most of the time

Yesterday, I was standing in the kitchen, waiting for the microwave to finish warming my lunch, looking out the kitchen window and tears started sliding down my face.  

For no reason.

I just had a momentary flicker of a memory of Fred making Christmas cut-out cookies and just started crying.

This is a real difficult time of year for widows.  For anyone who had a close family member die, parent, child, sibling.  The memories of happy past Christmas' just flick into our mind, without notice and bring on the tears.

...and we just keep on smiling because, we don't want to spoil Christmas for those around us.
<sigh>
==========================
Pammie called me last night.  We talked for about an hour.  Jen's family are off on a Disney Cruise.  They decided to go this week instead of next, as it was cheaper and they hoped to miss the Christmas break college kids on board.

We are hoping that Jennifer and the kids might come to our Christmas Eve day family get together.  I think Eric has to work that day anyway, so perhaps she might come.  I know my sister, her son's family and my son would love to see Jen and, if they move to New Jersey, it will probably be our last Christmas Eve with all of us together.

Pammie told me that now, it isn't really Jennifer.  It is more Eric.  Apparently he is the one holding the grudge and, it isn't just about me.  I guess he thinks or has assumed that other family members have said something bad about him.  This is pure nonsense as we ALL love Eric.

Pam said, "I don't understand it, Momma.  I'm not like that...none of us in the family are like that.  If we get our feelings hurt by someone, we tell them and then we forget about it.  Or...we don't tell them and still get over it in a couple of days and forget about it."

"I know, Honey.  I don't get it either.  We have probably been hurt by every single person in our family.  Things they have said to us or about us and it hurts for a few days and then...we just give it up.  We are family.  You don't hold grudges or anger against family members."

So Pammie is going to tell Jen when we meet and tell her that we'd all like to see her and the kids and it won't be any different than when she came to Maddie's open house.

Of course, Pam mentioned that if Eric forbid Jen from coming, she wouldn't be able too because that would cause strife between them.  I understand that and we don't want that to happen.

I'm STILL going to send him a birthday card on the 22nd and I am still going to sign it with love--just like I have always done!

Pammie also told me something that made me smile!  Years ago, I got large heavy papier mache boxes for the kids.  I decorated them and put a wooden initial of their first name on the top.  It is to store their Christmas ornaments in--I did the same for Karen's kids.  I get the kids some sort of personal and personalized ornament every year.  This year I got Andrew one about LaCrosse which he took up this year.  I got Elise an absolutely beautiful silver flute, because she is playing that in the band, Alex got one with a boy on a dirt bike, because he is into that and I got Evan one painted with Curious George on it.  They all have their names on them, except for Elise's flute.

Pammie said that when they put up their Christmas tree, the kids get their boxes and unwrap their ornaments from me and put them on the tree first.  Then they don't seem to want to decorate the tree anymore.

That means, they will always have those ornaments and when they open the storage boxes, they will remember this Mimi!!
=============================
I had a rough night last night.  Probably because of the unresolved Eric & Jen issue and thinking about Fred.  If he had still been alive, he would have had the mess straightened out in a couple of weeks.  Jen and Eric both admired him and took his counsel.  Of course, if Fred had still been alive, I probably wouldn't have been "out of it" or still in the "brain fog" that caused me to do something so stupid.

I was worn out when I finally woke up at 9:00.  The bed covers were all torn up and twisted and the cats were nowhere to be seen--apparently there was yelling and kicking and it scared them.

The weather has been nice and mild.  I should have gone out for a walk, but I did laundry, worked all morning on my friend, Chris' website and stuff and than, this afternoon, got involved in watching a couple of Turner Classic Movies, which also made me cry.  

I just pray I get my Christmas miracle and Jen and the kids show up at my sister's on Christmas Eve afternoon.
===============================
My precious boy does like to have a rock-a-bye
on Momma's lap. 

12 comments:

  1. Ah, Judy. I wish we widows could all be in the same room for a hug fest. The tears just seem to come out of no where sometimes, don't they. For you, with the situation with Jen and Eric and them moving soon you have a full plate of remorse and sadness to deal with along side of Fred's sadiversary coming soon. At least you've got a willing cat to cuddle with. My dog is useless when it comes to cuddling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sending you a (( hug )) Can you feel it?
    Christmas is supposed to be a happy time, but there are memories that come to mind that simply can't be ignored. I could tell you to take a walk, listen to some music, read the Christmas story, bake some cookies, but it wouldn't take away your feelings. I guess we have to endure every year and just get through it as best we can. Just know that there are people who care.
    Balisha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying for your Christmas Miracle and for healing in your family - and for Pearl to perk up and get moving.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Christmas, and other holidays bring on the tears for sure. I just keep telling myself that I'm thankful for the times we had with those who have gone on before us.

    I too hope that you'll see Jen and her children on Christmas Eve. That's such a lovely thing you started with the ornaments, and it sounds as though your grandchildren cherish each one.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. A chance to meet up and clear the air might be the best Christmas present of all. I hope that everything goes as well as possible. Jx

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a tough time of year for anyone who has lost a loved one, especially a spouse or child - memories around every corner. You have a lot of friends here who care about you. And I have to say... Fred was a pretty sexy guy. I like him in those jeans. :)

    Sometimes I wish Jen could read your writings, and see how much pain you've suffered. I think she could understand. I hope and hope and hope she shows up on Christmas Eve. I will keep it in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jude maybe this might help... Gord's sister and daughter who have not talked to us or the rest of the family for 10 years .... waved the white flag. Gord's family is so happy... me.. skeptical... because I don't understand people who hold grudges. That shit only hurts you not me.... as she found out because we decided to let it go and not be in contact. What a stupid waste of time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree Joanie. Let it go, let it go......................

    ReplyDelete
  9. Somehow I'm thinking your grandkids will have no problem remembering their Mimi! I hope your Christmas wish comes true also!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The photos of Fred even made me cry, Judy!! The holidays do make us all wish things were different. It is hard, and pray along with you, that your miracle comes true....oh, that Buddy!! Kitty love is so precious.

    ReplyDelete