title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Friday, December 5, 2014

BREAKING NEWS!

Item #1:  The influenza virus has mutated!  Our influenza vaccines we do dutifully received last fall are not as effective as we hoped.   This is how civilization will be wiped out.  Not my nuclear war, nor earthquake, flood or famine, but by a microscopic, mutated bug that there is no vaccine for.  We will go out, not with a bang, but with a whimper while we lay in our own vomit and diarrhea covered beds!  Stiff with pain, and coughing our lungs out.

Item #2:  There are no greeting sized envelopes in this county!  I always make my own birthday cards to send to friends because...have you seen the price for one birthday card sold in stores??!!  I was out of greeting card size envelopes.  No big deal you say?  HAH--that's what you think!  Last week on my venture to Wal-Mart, I went to the mailing section and they had no envelopes that size--I usually get them there.  I had to go across the road to the Meijer store, so I checked there--NaDa!  

I have finished making my Christmas cards, so, today I decided to make a quick trip up to the Staples store in Brighton.  They have hundreds of boxes of envelopes--none for greeting cards however.  So, I drove over to the Target store and walked to their mailing supply section.  Again, hundreds of boxes of business envelopes, thank you note card envelopes, medium envelopes, no greeting card envelopes.

Considering the fact that I was now on a quest, I drove on over to the Meijer store in Brighton.  Of course, the parking lot was full and I had to walk at least 175 miles to get in the store and I purposefully and quickly strode way to the back of the store--their typing paper and mailing supplies area.  They had one box of greeting card envelopes--in assorted, lovely pastel colors.  I do not want to send out my Christmas cards in pale pink, blue, violet or green envelopes!.  I strode back to the front of the store.  By now, hips, back and legs were nearly incapable of carrying me along.  In fact I noticed, I was staggering a bit and walking quite like a person who had tasted a bit to many glasses of Peach Schnapps!

Just as I was exiting the building, a lady with a cane said, "Where are all the shopping carts?"  I looked, and there were none.  "I'll get you one," I said and promptly staggered out to the parking lot and the nearest cart corral and brought back a cart.  

"Oh!  Thank you my dear, that was so nice of you."

"Merry Christmas", I called as I staggered out of sight.

175 miles back to my car, dragging my right leg the last 100 miles and there, on the ground by my car, was a Meijer bag.  Inside was...8 Christmas cards WITH ENVELOPES.  I grabbed the bag and groaned, then staggered back to the store and the Customer Service to turn them in.  I so wanted to keep the envelopes, but you know...it isn't worth going to Hell for stealing 8 envelopes!!

I sat in the car for a moment to see if I were still capable of returning home--to my simmering pot of spaghetti sauce left on the stove because the trip was only going to take 20 minutes and said, "Dear Lord--what is the chances of this area having no greeting card envelopes?"

He didn't answer, so I just came home.  Got on the computer and ordered from staples on-line.  I should have them by Monday.

Item #3:  Although Maggie The Cat knows that it is a "No No" to mess with the Christmas tree and although, during the day, Maggie is quite the wonderful kittie and does not disturb a thing, apparently she is quite smart enough to know that once I am either out of the house, or sleeping soundly, it is her chance to tug the crystal beaded rope from the lowest branches and take down a few ornaments also.  There they were laying on the tree skirt and Maggie?  She was quite contentedly napping in the sun by the window.

Item #4:  The way "they" pack ground beef nowadays, if you want to brown it into separated crumbles like, you have to keep chopping it with a spoon or something like that.  Otherwise, it will brown into chunks of meat.  I do not want chunks of meat in my spaghetti sauce, I want crumbled up browned ground beef.  Because the pot I use is so tall, I have to elevate my arthritic right elbow and keep chopping with a long handled spatula while the meat browns.  Chopping, turning, chopping, turning.  By the time I am done, my right elbow and shoulder kill me!!
================
I guess that is all the Breaking News and griping I have for today.  Have a nice weekend, I will for sure.

See ya Monday!

8 comments:

  1. Your envelope saga makes me laugh. About 17 years ago I accumulated about two hundred greeting card envelopes from a store going out of business and I had used barely a half dozen in all those years. So just last year I offered them to my niece and her daughter who are both teachers. Their kids will use them. We are turning into the lasted buggy whip generation. No one will be sending greeting cards in 20 years.

    My grandmother died of the flu. Back then, the hospitals were so full the hallways were lined with people on the floor. It is serious business not to have the vaccines working this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jean and Judy,
      I agree about the vaccine and am very concerned about it. I almost died two years ago with lung issues. It is a serious matter. Bella

      Delete
  2. You should try using a potato masher when cooking ground beef.

    ReplyDelete
  3. #3 is exactly why we no longer have a Christmas tree in our house. Not with four cats. I used to have a flat one on the wall complete with lights but I got tired of hanging that year after year.

    Getting back to the tree ~ I stopped having a tree because I was afraid I would get up one morning and all four cats would be peering from the tree at me as I walked down the hall. I know my cats, and I know that is what they would have done. You cannot tell a cat to stop doing something...it's just not in their DNA. So I don't even try. This is their house and my husband and I just live here as boarders it seems.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Judy,
    I heard a guy talking about the Mars' mission the other day and NASA's recent successful Orion splash down, and he said that this means we will be able to preserve the human race when we can no longer inhabit Earth. He specifically sited uncontrollable viruses. :)

    Dollar Tree has cards for 50 cents. I have no illusions that they are nearly as fun and creative as yours. Some things are not meant to be bought at Dollar Tree, but if you ever need a card for someone who is not as special as a grandchild...

    Did you ever think that God left those Christmas cards there for you because you did a good deed by getting the lady a shopping cart? :) Okay, I know that's not right. Really.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just caught up with your post. I hope that you are fully recovered. We have a company called Hobby Craft in the UK which is great for getting all shapes of envelopes. Problem is... they're not cheap. Jx

    ReplyDelete
  6. 2 things - Envelopes - at JoAnn, Michaels, Hobby Lobby, etc. in the paper-crafting area or scrapbooking. I know I've purchased there before and always a coupon for 50 % off a regular priced item.
    Ground beef - could you boil it to cook it down? It's always a lovely texture and doesn't require a lot of crushing.

    ReplyDelete