title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Saturday, December 5, 2020

 We didn't get together for Thanksgiving at Karen's this year.  She thought it best not to and I agreed.  With her 5 children and their spouses--these people work in all sorts of businesses.  My grandson and new wife are doing their medical residencies in hospital--not in a Covid ward, but who knows what bad buggies they might have.

Karen's second oldest, Susanna, couldn't come anyway and won't be here for Christmas either.  She had lived in Portland, Oregon for years, but because of the crowds and the racial problems they were having, she moved up to Anchorage, Alaska for a couple of months, which has turned into 4 and she just may stay there for another six.  She works as marketing director for New Balance shows, but all of her travel has been canceled and she can work from home easily.  She loves it there.

Christmas gathering may be a bit iffy too.  I don't mind staying home.  I'd rather not take any chances now so that next year or even this summer, we can have a big celebration.  Oh yes--I have another great grand baby due in May.  The newest married kids--the doctor's are expecting.

Our Governor is encouraging us "olders" not to go out unless absolutely necessary--grocery and prescriptions.  Just like last Spring.  I try and schedule all my stops for one trip.  I change masks in between stores.  A mask for the pharmacy, a new mask for the grocery store, a new mask for the gas station.

A nurse friend told me I didn't have to change masks like that.  I told her the reason I did was I wasn't worrying about germs...it's just that the dang masks get so hot, and make my face sweat, I want a new dry one for my next stop.

I have been working on genealogies, one after another.  That makes me sooooooo happy! I do get bored and if I have a genealogy to research and work on, it keeps my mind active and the hours just go by.

Needless to say, my house is a wreck.  I haven't dusted in probably a month.  I have genealogy papers strewn all over every surface in my office in here.  I have a big bucket standing just inside the office door, full of squirrel food...near the front door.  The large buckets that light weight cat litter comes in are perfect for storing bird seed and squirrel food, but they aren't too attractive when I have visitors.

I have had few in the last 10 months--probably another reason I am neglectful of my house work, I suppose.  No one is going to see my house so...who cares.  HAH!

My cable bill had gone up a bit so I called my cable service and not only did they lower the bill, they sent me a new cable box that shows everything on TV in HD.  The picture now fills up the entire TV screen AND a new voice remote.  What a wonder.  If I know there is a ballgame on, but can't remember which channel, I just speak into the remote..."Michigan State Basketball" and it takes me right to the correct channel.

I even get free movies too.  I've watched a few good ones.  I am supposed to get a free cell phone also--hasn't arrived yet, and usage for $5.00 a month.  I'm sure it will take me a month to learn how to use it...not too many gigobytes I'm sure, but enough so I can take it with me and get help if I ever need it and if I am in a WiFi area, which I have with my new cable box, it won't cost me anything to use it.  It even has a voice text...which should help me with my shaky hands--I was worrying about how I would type out a text message.

When we got our Stimulus check, way back when, the welfare people gave each of us who are on food stamps--actually there are no stamps involved now, they put money on a card for you to use to buy good...an extra $100.00.  My normal monthly amount was $15.00 which is really not much.

Then when I had my review in September, they upped my food allowance to $95.00 a month!  YOWZA!! I was buying meat and fruit and veggies and building up the $$$ on my card, because they roll over the amount I don't spend and add the monthly allowance amount to it.  It was high times for awhile.  I was having fun eating food I normally can't afford.

I got a letter from them last week.  The food allowance is going down to $25.00.  I still have $150.00 on my card, but without that $95.00 added each month, the amount on the card will soon come down and I will once again be at $25.00.  

When you are at the whim of the government, you don't question why the changes.  You take what they give and are danged glad to get it.  

I didn't decorate this year...I didn't decorate last year either.  My sister tells me, "Put up your tree.  Put out all your decorations and lights...it will make you feel better."  Well, actually it makes me feel worse.  I am here alone.  No one comes to visit.  It all just makes me more lonely and depressed with all the decorations.  Plus, the last time I did the whole thing...2018, it took me 5 days and I was exhausted.  I took it down Christmas day.

I do wish my Christmas Cactus would bloom.  It bloomed the first year I bought it, five years ago and hasn't bloomed since.  I looked it up on-line to see the shape of the leaves and if it is an Easter, Thanksgiving or Christmas cactus.  It doesn't bloom any time of year.

It grows and it is healthy and it gets the proper light and very little water.  Maybe I should transplant it in a different pot?  I may try that...at New Years time.

I did get all my Christmas cards created and printed out and have been folding them and putting in envelopes.  I want to mail them out Monday--December 7th, a "day that will live in infamy".  Not many of you remember that time.

I wonder when we will be able to get the Vaccine against Covid?  My sister says she will be first in line.  I figure I'll let her go first, see if she has any horrid side effects and then, I'll get mine next late summer.

Back in 1968--there was an epidemic of the Swine Flu.  We went to the school gymnasium and lined up to get the vaccine.  I was never so sick in my life!  That was the last flu shot I ever got until 6 years ago.  The flu shot I get now doesn't bother me a bit, but...I don't know about this vaccine.

In 1956, I got the Polio vaccine.  My mother waited a few days to see if I got sick, which I didn't, so then she took my little sister in to get it.  I figure, if I was the guinea pig back then for my sister, she can return the favor now.  HAH!


14 comments:

  1. Nice to see you back posting. What cable company to you have on your side of the state? You are getting a great deal and mine has gone up so much I'm thinking of canceling.

    I don't put a tree up for the same reason you don't.

    Christmas cactus need 10-12 hours of total darkness in a cool room in the fall to set their blooms. If you expose them to a lamp light for even a few minutes you'll break their budding cycle. My mom used to put her's in a closet at night. The greenhouse where I worked covered their's with a black shades.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have Comcast/Xfinity cable service.
      I put my cactus in a closet every night for the entire month of September and October and didn't water it. Still didn't work.
      It just likes to taunt me. I used to have one that was 2 feet across and bloomed like crazy.

      Delete
  2. How wonderful that you have been the recipient of so much goodness, but saddened to hear the food money will be cut. That's an important expenditure in my book. We should be making sure everyone gets good food, especially in times like this.

    I decorated the family room with all sorts of Christmas things this year, the first year in a long time. It's where I do my virtual storytelling to first and second graders so I wanted a festive backdrop. You are right, it makes a difference if you have someone to decorate for. I'm glad to hear you are sending Christmas cards. Although people have talked about sending cards this year, so far we have received TWO. I have mailed about 50.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have my cards ready to go out tomorrow. My greatest number goes to family--special ones that I make and personalize. Then I have long time friends that I don't see and my girl friends that I haven't seen since the lockdown. So I mail to them too.

      Delete
  3. So nice to hear from you! Congrats on a little surprise $$. Every penny helps. You and your family were wise to keep holidays low visitation. Oregon numbers of Covid cases continue to rise ... should peak two weeks after Thanksgiving. So our Gov shut everything down again. It's getting old.

    But I do have to put up a couple of my favorite Christmas things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course you do. You have children around.

      Delete
  4. I say if decorating doesn't bring you joy, then don't do it! It IS a lot of work - but I can't seem to help myself!
    Many families are not getting together this year. Three of my four will most likely be here but they all work from home so are not out and about as much as some. Summer will still be in Puerto Rico and I am happy for her. Christmas morning will be with my sister and herhusband, daughter and SIL and my youngest son.
    We are all doing the est we can with this 2020 year of crazy.
    I would love to send you a Christmas card if you will send me your address. I don't think I have it....

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have decided today that no Christmas family gathering this year.
    My address is: 6413 Lakeview Lane Brighton, MI 48114

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like a good cable deal I do not get the same results when I call them. You are keeping yourself busy and who cares about a little dust.
    Decorations are for you to enjoy and if you don't than you are doing the right thing.
    thank you for visiting my blog
    Cathy
    cathy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have two Christmas cacti and they flower Christmas and Easter!
    Maybe the plants benefit from each other?
    They sit on a north facing windowsill. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's been my understanding that Christmas (Or Thanksgiving or Easter or whatever) cactus need to be in dark as much as light to bloom. Mine is in front of a window but it's in the spare room so it only gets daylight and rarely gets artificial light. Plus I never move it. Who knows, but it blooms every year so something must be right! I don't blame you for not decorating. It it a lot of work and if it's not benefitting you then why bother? I'm going to let a lot of people go before me for that COVID vaccine!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had a friend who went on vacation and turned her AC off. When she returned, her Christmas cactus was blooming. Or was it the other way around. Maybe it started blooming when the turned the AC back on. Oops. I know they like to be deprived. Like geraniums like to be root bound.
    Judy, sorry to hear about your son's cancer returning. I hope things turn around for him.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i was not going to decorate this year, then youngest son mike said he was coming, i had to do it. i find though, it has brought me a lot of joy having the house decorated, so i am really glad we did it. we usually go to my nieces house for christmas, there are about 30 of us. it's not happening this year, we will stay home, just the 3 of us!!

    it will be fun, i will make sure it is!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. ooooh and i know nothing about christmas cacti!!

    ReplyDelete