title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Sunday, March 15, 2020

We're in for quite a ride, aren't we?
The stores around here have empty shelves.  This must be what it is like to prepare for a Hurricane.  But why the hoarding of toilet paper?

I understand the psychology behind "panic buying", but toilet paper?  Six packages of 12 rolls of toilet paper?  If you caught the virus and had to quarantine in your home for 14 days, would you need that much toilet paper?

When I stopped up at Walmart the other day to pick up a prescription, I got 3 Giant Hershey Chocolate bars with Almonds and a box of Little Debbies.  If I have to be quarantined, I'm going to enjoy myself.

Well--it is kind of scary to me.  I am at that age that if I got it, I'd probably die, however I have no underlying health issues.  Still in all, although I'd love to see my new great grandson, I wouldn't contaminate him, but all those 20-35 year old grand kids, of mine who would be there too, could be carriers and well...I'd hate for them to feel guilty because they killed off their Gramma.  LOL
=============
As you can imagine, my week and weekend have not been a bit of fun.  They canceled the B1G Ten tournament and then the NCAA Tournament, which nearly gave me a stroke, because I had my whole weekend planned around those games. 

I figured, well, heck...I'll watch the golf tournament and no sooner got that idea when they canceled that AND postponed the Master's Golf tournament?

What else is there to watch on a weekend?  The News programs?  Egad!  All they do is make me more anxious.

Today I watched 2 live streaming church services from my favorite preachers and 1 from my home church--that I haven't attended for 4 years.  My pastor has grown a beard, for some reason.  He's about to retire.

Well, those services lessened my anxiety.  There is nothing we can control about this Plague.  Worrying sure isn't going to help, just make us feel more scared.  I cross stitched and tried to find something to watch--HGTV--reruns.  American Pickers--reruns.  I couldn't find a decent movie and too lazy to pull out one of my won DVD's.

Today is the 50th anniversary of my Mother's death.  Beware the Ides of March.  She was only 53. I had written a tribute to her on Face Book and of course that brought back a lot of memories, good memories, but still--I was with her when she died--it was a hard death and, 50 years later, I can still see all of it as plain as day.  So, I've been a bit misty today.
=================
This next week I had all my yearly doc appointment and lab tests scheduled, but canceled them.  I don't think it would be smart to go into a germy hospital, just to get routine tests that can wait until end of April or May.

"They" are telling us old people to stay home.  That's not a problem for me.  My car sits out front for days and days, without me using it.  But of course, now that I've been told I shouldn't go anywhere, I am itching to do just that!!!
========================
I wish people would quit with the political knit-picking.  As if that does any good.  Why can't we all come together like we did after 9/11?

Wash your hands and cover your sneezes and no need to get tested unless you have symptoms.  Fever, dry cough, shortness of breath.
Stay calm and carry on.
Onward and Upward.



7 comments:

  1. We are very thankful for technology that let's us communicate without being with one another. Lots of texting and emails going on in this household.

    Terry and I went out early Monday morning to Whole Foods mainly to get produce and coffee (the kind you brew yourself). Our state's governor is thinking of putting a quarantine on everyone 65+. I guess they will start checking our ID at the doors. I need to get a fake ID that says I'm 40! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's crazy! Lots of people over 65 don't have anyone to shop for them and/or are able to order online.

      Delete
  2. I remember SARS. Short lived and not nearly as pandemic as Covid19. Also started in China. So many "plagues" in the past but I AM taking this seriously and haven't left the house for a week. Thank goodness I'm a hermit!

    We just have to stay tuned (once a day!) and figure it out as we go. People in Oregon are hoarding so many different food items. Now I have to postpone cataract removal ....

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are lucky to have "good" memories of your mom, but i'm sure this anniversary of her death is hard!! chuck and i have been staying home, we go for rides in the car and of course the famous bike ride!!! i'm fine being home, i have no problem keeping busy like you!!

    the baby is adorable!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Judy, I'm hoping that after all our hunkering down, we will find within ourselves gratitude for what sustained us. I'm so fortunate that I love to write, because I can work on my new memoir about the 10 years after leaving the convent.

    My mom died at age 58 in 1968, so she's been dead for 52 years. Like you, I have so many good memories of her and of her great love for her family. A great blessing in my life. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations, Judy! Your new little great grandson is the cutest!

    ReplyDelete