title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Sunday, March 1, 2020

My second grand child Susanna, Mark & Karen's second child, has been a runner most of her life.

She was on the Cross Country team in High School and got an athletic scholarship to Grand Valley State University, a college over on the Western side of our State, where she also ran Cross Country.

Now to my way of thinking, why anyone would want to put their body through that kind of stress and pain--running miles and miles, is beyond me.  I was more of a sprinter.  I could run really fast for a short distance.  She is just the opposite.  It takes her a few miles to get warmed up and then she is off like a Greyhound.

She got hired by New Balance shoes out in Portland, Oregon, as their Marketing Director.  She went to many States, setting up the New Balance display and running in the 10K races.  She's also been to England and France to do the same thing.

About five years ago she was telling me that she wanted someday to run the Marathon for the Olympic Trials.  That was her goal, knowing full well she wouldn't win, but just wanted to run and finish.

Well a Marathon is a lot different than a 10K.  She did run a half Marathon in Chicago and then last year, ran in the Boston Marathon and finished.  26.2 miles.

Can you imagine?  What would you think about while running?  Over two hours.  Wouldn't you get bored and just want to quit?  Wouldn't your back, legs and feet start hurting?

By running in the Boston Marathon and finishing with a decent time, she was qualified to run in the Olympic Marathon trials.

New Balance was planning their early spring conference and going to Boston, as usual.  She asked if they could have the conference in Atlanta, so she could run the Marathon.

..and so she did. 






Mom and Dad were at the start line, halfway point and the finish line.

Because of an injury three weeks ago, her time wasn't all that great, but she did have 31 women left behind her.

All that really matters, she accomplished her goal!

7 comments:

  1. I've always loved New Balance shoes and now am esteem for the company just went up. What a wonderful job for your granddaughter.

    I can't imagine running to the mailbox, much less in a marathon. Sounds totally boring but she sure looks happy and great! Not an ounce of fat on her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like me. I don't run anywhere, but I sure admire those who like it and do it.

      Delete
  2. Good for her. What an accomplishment. I know you are very proud of her.

    As to her last name, Rivard, the principal at Columbia is Mike Rivard. I also worked with him at Fresno High for a year before I retired. Wonder if there is any relation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You must be so proud! That kind of dedication will take her far in life, no matter what goals she pursues.

    ReplyDelete
  4. CONGRATULATIONS, Susannah! You, too, Grandma!!!!

    I couldn't even walk 26 miles ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is great. She sets and meets her goals. Wish I were more like her.
    Take care!

    ReplyDelete