title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Thursday, July 21, 2016

Hot and Hot On The Trail

Pretty hot for us up here in the Mitten State.  70+ humidity makes 97 degrees feel like 100+, as if 97 wasn't a killer temperature!!

I am feeling very lethargic and in no mood to get out and drive in my car whose A/C doesn't want to work properly.  

I don't know how the people across the street stand it!  The biggest house on this street and they have no A/C!  They only close the windows when it rains.  




With all the money they have, it's not like they can't afford it.

We aren't going to get a break until next Tuesday.  I don't know how you people down south can stand the heat and humidity the way you do.
==============
I did not go to the Old School Gal Pals lunch today.  One reason being, it is at least a 50 minute drive and with the A/C in the car not working properly, I'd probably faint and end up in a ditch somewhere never to be found again!  Plus, still a bit iffy with the digestive problems, which today seemed to be clearing up or at least changing into a bit of normalcy.  We can only hope.

==================
I need to get out and to the store.  The food situation in meager.  Of course, food is unimportant, but...when the Pepsi gets low--that crisis will drive me out into the heat.
 =================
I used my new Norwex cloth's the other day.  Oh. My!  Some kind of little miracles.  I wet the one with just plain tap water, wrung it out, wiped down my bathroom mirror and then used the purple one to dry with.  I had toothpaste on that mirror and water spots and it came out shining!  Even with Windex and paper towels, I usually have to go back over it to get rid of all the streaks.

So the, I cleaned glass in a picture frame, same result and then one of my big windows.  I am amazed!!  It took me half the time and only went over it once and no streaks and the glass just shines.

I don't understand how you can use just water and it gets everything off the glass.  When you are done, you just hang them up by the little straps on the inside and use them again and again and.........  They can be laundered, when they get dirty.

You can use the blue cloth on anything--counter tops, fridge, etc.  The purple one is only for drying windows.  Microfiber and supposed to last a lifetime.

Considering how short my lifetime will be, I guess I need to bequeath them to my sister!


===============
I am waiting impatiently for my couch and chair to arrive.  4-6 weeks is a really long time.  Kind of like the last 6 weeks of pregnancy?  You know how long that feels.  Right?  My carpet is two weeks old, so maybe by August I will have my furniture?

In the meantime, I am in the final stages of my last genealogy.  Printing out the books and then will take them to the Print Shop to have them bound and they will be ready.  

I am kind of disappointed.  My client wanted me to find out something about some of her ancestor's.  No matter where I looked, Google, Census searches, Ancestry, on and on, I could not find proof of what she wanted.  

This rarely happens, but sometimes, other family  members, from years ago, have marked some of their information as "Private" and there is no way to access that.  I tried sending an e-mail to one with the same last name, who had some of the "Private" records, but they never responded.  I don't know why people do this.  Something in what they've found they don't want anyone else to see.  Plain nuts!!  It's not like their last name was Hilter!!

Oh well.  I can only do what I can do.  Of course, if I were able, I could get in my car and drive to the places where they were born and lived and snoop around, but.....................

People sometimes have the wrong idea about genealogy.  They are afraid that bad stories or things are going to show up.  That is not the case.  Occasionally, there will be a written report about the early founders of a certain area, or an obituary that shows what the person was like, but most of what I find are the dates and where they were born, married, died and the cemetery they are in.  Searching all of that, hoping their parents names will be listed so I can go up, one more generation.

Up, up, up I go.  Hoping to make it to the very top of their family tree.  

I love it!  I love the mundane searching!  I love seeing how far I can get up the tree and what I find.  

So many young women died as young mothers.  So many families, with lots of children, had three or four of the little ones die.  That always tugs at my heart, but that is why, those early families had lots of children.  They knew, some of their children might not make it to adulthood.

It is fascinating---at least to me.

25 comments:

  1. Have you priced those magic towels? I did at Amazon can I couldn't believe how costly they are. I put them on my wish list, though.

    I've lost all desire to do work around the house, though we did get some rain today that cooled it off a little bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cooled it off, but left the humidity! Hot and muggy again this morning. My towels were $20.00 each. I figure with all the Windex and paper towels I use, they should pay for themselves pretty quickly. :-)

      Delete
    2. $20.00/each? Whoa! Can't afford that; guess I'll keep using newspaper and vinegar. LOL

      Delete
    3. The Fly Lady web site has three towels for $11.99. They sound exactly like the one you are discussing.

      Ive used mine for years and love them.

      Delete
    4. That's good to know! Thank you. :)

      Delete
  2. We have a hurricane that may pass my island a little too close for comfort. On a tropical storm watch for 48 hours. I did buy a case of water.

    I could NOT live without air conditioning. Even in Oregon where most people only need it a couple of weeks out of the year. When the forecast in Maui starts saying heat index ... I know we are in trouble. 85 but feels like 101. Good for making my hair curl.

    Even the "mundane" things you discovered about MY family were interesting to me. I found a death certificate for my maternal grandfather AND great grandfather both noting "cirrhosis of the liver" as cause of death.

    Always something interesting to learn, good or bad. THANKS again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I make NO judgments on what I find in my searches. I just include in the books everything I can find out about the people. Cirrhosis of the liver doesn't mean Grandpa was a hard drinker. One of my best friends, a Minister, died from that disease and never took a drop in his entire life! :-) You have a good lineage, be proud!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Did my best! Someday, you might want to take a vacation to Upstate New York and check it out for yourself?

      Delete
  4. Those cloths are expensive, but I imagine worth it if you can wash and reuse forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess, but I have seen people drop 20.00 for a bottle of wine that doesn't last as long. LOL

      Delete
  5. i would die without a/c, seriously, i would not make it. there are times when i am outdoors for a very short period, when it is hot, and my MS symptoms flare right up. those cloths sound great, i would like to find a cleaning girl who works that well!!

    my house needs a good cleaning, after all the work we have been doing!! glad you are feeling better!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like a cleaning lady that came in and used the cloths and whatever other kids of magic she could do. LOL

      Delete
  6. Honestly, I remember no air conditioning, and I think I'd be fine without it but for one problem, I cannot sleep with the windows open - too scary for me! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't have A/C until the mid 80's and then, just a window one in the bedroom. When it was hot like this, the kids would all sleep on our bedroom floor. :-)

      Delete
  7. Childbirth and fires (cooking in open fireplaces) were the primary killers of women in those times.

    Our weather is awful and I saw yesterday that we are under an "umbrella" of hell until October. Can you believe it? October??? Really?

    I don't know how your neighbor lives without a/c. I could not do it.

    I'm going out and getting some of those Norwex towels. Yes sirree.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooooh, I am so glad you wrote your review of Norwex. I immediately went to their website when I read your last post, and couldn't bring myself to press 'buy'. Now I can :-) I HATE cleaning, and this may make it at least palatable.

    Yeah, this summer is HOT. I'm thankful every day that our electricity grid doesn't overload with all the A/C's going. When I got my RV back, they had recharged the A/C. Grrr. I would not have had them do this, because I head north where it's cooler, where I don't need the A/C. But maybe this summer I will be glad...

    BTW, I love the way your draw lines between your subjects in your posts. And include the this's and that's of your life.

    When you get your chair it will feel like Christmas!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have all sorts of cleaning products and cloths. I think I'd like the dusting mitt, but so satisfied with the glass cloths that I am running around cleaning all glass surfaces. It is so quick and the results are amazing!

      Delete
  9. Those cloths sound interesting. I may get some. And I agree that it seems so long when you're waiting for a dream to come to fruition. Like new furniture, or a home remodel whether large or small. And the way we do it down here in the deep South is, we stay in the air conditioning. As much as possible. At least I do. But we've had lots of nice porch-sitting weather this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Staying cooped up in my house with the A/C running, is just like being cooped up in the house all winter with the furnace running. I don't mind winter, but I want doors and windows open all summer. :-)

      Delete
  10. We bought a chair and sofa through Furniture Row...the salesman said it would only take a week to deliver...after the second week and still no furniture, I called...No mam! It will take 6 to 8 weeks for delivery....I was Furious! What a scam! They keep your money for a month and a half and make interest off it while it sits in THEIR account without having to hurry to make delivery... I went back to the store, told the young man to cancel my order and refund my money Now! I told them I knew what this scam was all about and they were not going to use me like that. I was loud, customers stopped to listen...long story short...I had my furniture the next day!!! The store has the darn furniture...it's about making money off OUR money! Never again! If I see it, they better be able to deliver it within a reasonable amount of time (days) or I keep moving!
    Hughugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In this case, the couch did not come in the same color/material as the chair. So they had to special order the couch. I could have had the chair the next day, but decided to wait. :-) Still $100.00 to deliver it is ridiculous!!! I did get a lot of discounts, but I think delivery should be free.

      Delete
  11. I enjoyed working with cousins and researchers when we were into our family geneology too. Those cloths sound amazing.
    I took a walk super early this morning...around 6:15 and yet was sweaty when I got back. The humidity is ridiculous right now and I see no break for us all week either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will start to cool down Tuesday afternoon, so........hopefully we are done with the Heat Dome from Hell and July weather!

      Delete