title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Friday, December 11, 2015

Stuff and Such

My new humidifier arrived by UPS Tuesday night.  I hauled the heavy thing inside and put it together.  Filled it up with it's required 4 gallons of water and turned it on--high.  It ran for 90 minutes and shut off.  It hasn't come on since.

Is the thing not working?  No.  It runs just fine, but our outside weather has been so warm, that the inside is not drying out, so the humidifier is not coming on to add moisture.  

We have been in the 50's and going up to record 60's this weekend.  I think we got our entire winter snowfall back a few weeks, when we had 16.8 inches fall in 24 hours.

El Nino'--that little brat, is bringing wetter and cooler weather to the Southern states and drier and warmer temps up here in the North.  We love him, but my Southern friends are already complaining about the gray days, fog and rain.

On Christmas Day, 1982, we were having dinner and gifts at my in-laws.  We were to eat at 1:00.  We women were busy in the kitchen and when the food was ready, we couldn't find the men.  It was a warm day, so we figured they were out in the garage.

Nope AND my father-in-laws golf cart was missing. Their yard backed up to the 16th fairway on the local golf course.

At 4:00 (!!!!!) the men came in all jovial and laughing, greeted by three women spitting fire.  It was so nice and warm the men decided to play 18 holes of golf.  As my husband explained, "Now I can say, I've played golf every month--in Michigan!  Just think of that.  Michigan!"

I was not amused.

I think we are going to have another winter just like that one.
===================
So, I mailed Pam's Christmas card to her early this year.  I tucked some "help" inside, figuring if Christmas Eve is going to be at her house, and she hasn't worked in a month, she'd need some money.  

She called last night.  She had a second interview as custodian at the school and probably will be going to work in January.  She has been working for Jennifer (and getting paid) for the last two weeks.  She doesn't need any "help" by the sounds of it.

Can I drive out there and get that card out of her mail box before she sees it?  LOL  I kind of shorted myself to help her out.

Nah.  I'll be fine and she can use the "help" no matter what she says.

The rest of the Christmas cards go out today.  No "help" tucked in any of them.
==============
Do you remember me telling about my quest to find the perfect pillow to sleep on?

I just counted.  I have 6 pillows stored up on the bedroom closet shelf.  Six!!!

#1:An older pillow that should be thrown out.
#2:A pillow Karen gave me especially made for side sleepers.
#3:A pillow I got fitted to me at Art Van--with memory foam/cooling gel, that makes my head and neck hurt because it is so cold.
#4:  The My Pillow I fell for and bought.  Worse pillow I have EVER slept on.
#5:  My old Contour pillow--with the cut out neck piece and a "hole" for my head to rest in.
#6:  A "Guaranteed Best Pillow Ever" foam thingie.

Did you know?  You can't return a pillow after it has been removed from it's plastic casing.  Even if you only slept on it one night?

In desperation, I thought I'd give it one last try.  A Down pillow.

On Cyber-Monday, Amazon had a really nice sale on 50% White Goose Feathers and 50% White Goose Down Queen sized pillows--half-price--free shipping.

I jumped on that like a Goose on a June-Bug.  

I had to get two, although I only need one, but--I decided to live life to the fullest!  Someday I might get someone else sleeping over and would need a pillow?  

Normally $75.00 each, I got two for that price.  A lot of money, but................worth the chance.  Merry Christmas to me.

THE PILLOW IS WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They came in a zippered bag, about 2" thick, but I didn't panic.  Me with the experience of the Memory Foam mattress topper that needs to be released from its plastic prison to breathe and expand.

I plumped it up in my dryer and slept on it the night of its arrival.

THE PILLOW IS WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The feathers DO NOT poke through the covering, like the pillows I slept on as a kid.  We only used feather pillows--made by the grandma's in the family.

I have slept on it for the last four nights.  I have slept through the last four nights.  In the morning, my neck no longer aches--like it has for years.  My back no longer aches--like it has for years and, because of the Memory Foam mattress topper, my hips no longer ache from pressure points.

I am in love (really) with this pillow.  AND, I have two so if one wears out, I have a new one.  OR, I can leave the new one in my Will for Pammie!!

Win-Win!
===============
John was in an accident that totaled his Jeep SUV.  He was turn left, on a yellow light, and got the right front hit by an oncoming car--that he claims speeded up on purpose to hit him--like anyone would do that.

Anyway, good thing he wasn't T-boned or his Jeep would have rolled over and he would have been hurt.  His Jeep has been declared "Totaled".  He hasn't found out what the insurance company is going to pay him, but I can tell you, it won't be the high number he figures he is going to get.

And then I will have to listen to his rant about all that!

I asked him why he didn't stop at the yellow light and he said, "I drive that route everyday and I ALWAYS make a left turn on that yellow."  Idiot!

No one got a ticket.  The man in the F-150 BIG truck only had minor damage and he had the right-of-way, so no ticket for him.

Speaking of accidents--you remember me telling you of the Son-In-Law of my friend that was killed on the expressway because a young woman made an illegal U-turn in one of those emergency turn areas and entered the expressway in front of him, and then speeded away and left the accident scene.  Some stranger traveling up this way from Ohio, saw what happened and followed her until he could get her license number, or the police never would have found her, as she got off at the next exit and took off cross country.

Well, guess what?  She is getting NO jail time.  She is being charged with a misdemeanor--illegally making a U-Turn.  Restricted license for one year.  That's it.

I have advised my friend to have her daughter sue this woman in a Civil Trial.  Even if they get no money out of it, at least that B***H will have to face them everyday in the court room!

  

13 comments:

  1. Mmmm. I need a great pillow!! Email me the link or description? So far my king bed is comfortable and I dread if I ever have to get the foam topper ... I'll have to bribe some neighbors to put it on!!

    Have I told you lately that I love your blog? I'd love it even better if it were EVERY DAY!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't remember which ones :-(, but I remember I got them through Amazon. 50% white goose feathers--50% White goose down. If you shop Amazon, please use AmazonSmile.com, so a percentage of your sale goes to St. Jude Children Research Hospital for Leukemia. Thanks.

      Delete
  2. I love my down pillows. Love them. I got them when they were $50 each, but they were on a half-price sale, so I got them both for $50 bucks, but that's been a while ago. Next year, I will look for them on cyber Monday. I could use two more.

    It was very warm here today and expected to be in the seventies tomorrow. We did have fog this morning, but it burned off. It's so pretty on the horse pasture when it rolls in. I saw the weather map on television the other day and it was a little creepy. The entire middle and East Coast of the country was red due to high temps. Is it really December?

    Oh, John. Be careful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really hope the winter brings us no real snow falls. We missed those 16 inches over on my side of the state. After the last two winters I deserve an easy one.

    Pillows don't seem to matter much to me. I rarely buy them but I have too many allergies to try a down pillow. I'm glad you finally found one you like.

    John's accident sounds like two people pushed themselves to beat a red light and they smacked each other. Stupid!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A special at our local market
    Bamboo Pillows
    2 for the price of one
    bought them
    I love these pillows...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been using the same feather pillow so long I don't remember. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Sally. Shouldn't we do something to get rid of the mites? Maybe the dryer. Do you know? I guess I'll look it up.

      Delete
  6. I had an old feather pillow that needed washing so in the machine it went...Came out looking great after I threw it in the dryer! Love those things!
    hughugs

    ReplyDelete
  7. Same weather here right now and all thoughts of Christmas cookie baking have flown out the OPEN windows :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad that you have found the perfect pillow.... I hope that you continue to have many wonderful nights' sleep! (I am such a "pillow diva" that I take my own pillow everywhere... Sometimes the hotel receptionists look a bit 'sideways' at me - but I can't bear the thought of a poor night's sleep!) Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have always carried my pillow with me when traveling.

      Delete
  9. I've slept on a king-size feather pillow for fifteen years and wouldn't dream (pun intended) of ever changing. Where I go (to spend the night), it goes. No questions asked. Once TG inadvertently left it in a hotel. I can't even say how much it cost me for them to send it back ... but again, it was non-negotiable. I have to have that pillow. I'm glad you have one too. xoxo

    ReplyDelete