title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Thursday, December 3, 2015

A Fruitful Day

I had to replace my humidifier.  Mine was 5 years old and with the lime content in our water, it bit the dust.  Last fall, I took it all apart and cleaned it really good before I put it away.  It was working then.

Yesterday, I got the big, heavy dang thing out, filled it with 5 gallons of water and turned it on.

Nothing!

I took the top part off--the part with all the working parts, and oiled the fan, and checked it out, then put it back on.  Turn it on.

Nothing!

I decided this year I would only use gallons of water I get out of the machine at Wal-Mart.  I had 8 gallons ready to go.  So--in the non-working humidifier, was 5 gallons of purified water.  How to get it out of the humidifier and back in the jugs?

2 cups at a time!  ARRGH!!!

I was so mad that I came in here, jumped on Amazon and ordered a new one--just like the old one.  I had already purchased 4 filters for it and I didn't want to return the filters and I liked this humidifier, so................................ and it was $60.00 less than it was 5 years ago!!!  HOWEVER--although I had the $80.00 it cost, saved up, that money was NOT intended for a humidifier!!

After I got most of the water out, I tore that thing apart and slammed put it piece by piece back in it's box to put out to the curb on garbage day!


I did save the water jug part just in case the handle ever breaks off and I won't have to buy a replacement.

I need a fairly large humidifier.  It gets very dry here, in the winter.  If I don't have it running all winter, every time I touch anything metal, I get shocked and, while I've heard that electrical shocks are good for arthritis, I don't enjoy the experience.

That reminds me of a story.  We had a neighbor farmer who had arthritis in his hands just something awful.  He heard of the "shock treatment", so every morning he'd go out to his barn and grab on, with both hands, to the electric fence.  Now, if you have ever accidentally touched an electric fence, you know you get a pretty good zap from it.  It seemed to help him however, so I guess he wasn't as weird as we all thought?
===========================
I have some of my Christmas decorations up.  I have all the ones I am putting up, up.  No Christmas tree this year.  For the first time in my life.  Kinds sad, but I am not in the mood!  I will have no visitor's to see it.  Which is how it has been the last 3 years.  I usually put it up just for me and so I can enjoy the sparkling lights, but not this year.

I have my lighted wreath on the front porch.  My lighted angel, Christmas tree and Candy Cane in the front windows, my nativity collection and Santa collection.  That's it.
=================
Today is Jennifer's 44th birthday.  Mark was almost 14, Pam was 12 and Karen 10 when Jen was born.  They named her.  I was sure she was going to be a Matthew.  When she was born, I wanted her named Angela, because I had nearly lost her twice while I was pregnant, I also had pre-eclampsia and Toxemia.  I thought she was my Angel(a) miracle.

My hubs and kids hated that name so I told them to name her, but her middle name had to be Dorathy, after my mother who had died the year before.

She is a determined, hard working woman since she was about 14.  Extremely high IQ and quite accomplished.  At one time, she and I were very close.  Now, she won't speak to me or be anywhere I am going to be and she is moving to New Jersey and taking my four grand children with her.  (Sigh)
I called her "Sweetzie Bug" for years.  Her brother called her "Mouskrat"  because when she was born, he thought her hair was furry like a Muskrat's pelt.  (He had a trap-line at the time.)

On the back of this collage I sent her for her birthday, looks like this.

===================
I got the knitted mini-bag done for Chris.  It is the cutest thing!  It holds everything I need for a run to the store.  Glasses, wallet, keys.  A cell phone would also fit and not a whole lot of heavy weight, like with my purse.

Just pull up the drawstring and away I go.  I took it with me to Wal-Mart and the print shop today and had three ladies ask me about it.  Cute as can be!
===================
11 months of work--done!  I have all my genealogy books done and ready to wrap.  They turned out just beautiful, I think.



 This is the oldest oak tree in the county where we lived and it stands in Susan and Chuck's back yard.




Clear plastic cover













An image/map I found of the place in Germany our ancestor's emigrated from.
  
 The fold-out pedigree chart I made for each branch of our family

Lots and lots of photos of the ancestor's and descendants and their homes













A page for my sister and her son and my children 

\


A personal note to each of my children, in their book, and a nice heavy, blue linen back cover
110 pages, filled with words and photos, most pages on both sides.

I saved all my receipts and added them up.  The paper was the most expensive, followed by the inkjects.  It averaged out to $106.45 a book.

Is there somewhere in the back of the book where I could put a teeny, tiny Price $106.45, so they would appreciate it more?

7 comments:

  1. I hope your family appreciates all the hard work and time you put into your books. I only did five for my small family and only got three thank yous. Either way, you did a great job!

    Did you by chance try your humidifier in two different plugs? Plugs sometimes go bad. Not much to go wrong on one of those machines. I forgot that I bought one last winter. I guess it's time to get it out, isn't it.

    Is the knit tight enough so things won't fall through your little bag? Very cute. I can see them selling at our craft shows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, nothing falls through. I suppose you could put a lining in it or a piece of cardboard on the bottom?

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful, thoughtful gift for your children. You truly have a gift for writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am hoping 100 years from now, a great, great grandchild might find the book and get some good out of it.

      Delete
  3. I can't imagine a more thoughtful gift, Judy. It's beautiful and thoughtful. I hope they appreciate how much work went into it. I'd love to receive something like that.

    A humidifier is a very good thing. I think most houses could use one in the winter.

    That little purse is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an awesome, awesome, awesome gifts you are giving your kids! I hope they appreciate all the hard work you put into them! I know it's probably cliché to say but they are so blessed to still have their mother to do wonderful things like that book for them! I'd give practically anything to still have my mom around!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Jeanette! I know your Mom died at a young age. Mine too--only 53. She is the one who started the genealogy searches. This is exactly the kind of book she would have made for my sister and me. Sigh.

      Delete