title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Mid-Week Consternation

Today's high was: 65 degrees
Partly sunny
===============================

In this park, we were told that a tree trimming/removal team would be coming in Mid-July.  If we wanted any of our trees trimmed or taken down, we had to write a letter, explaining our reasons and turn that letter into the office.  Dar wanted the huge, tall oak tree in back of her place taken down, because branches and limbs sometimes came down on her roof.  Tami next door wanted the large, tall pine tree taken down that has grown too close to her house because when the pine cones fall on her roof, it wakes them up.  I requested my Mulberry tree be taken down as the branches hang over my roof, causing the roof to be come covered in moss and eating away at the shingles, Plus the birds eat the fruit and poop purple all over my siding, requiring me to get it power washed every year.

All our letters were accepted and the manager of the park, assured us the trees would be removed.

This morning at 9:00, they commenced to take down Dar's tree.  It took them all day.  I don't think this video is going to work, but.......he was 50+ feet up the tree.
When they were done, I walked across the street to talk to Jim, the owner of the tree company.  He has done three tree trim/removal jobs for me that I had to pay for.  I asked him if he was doing mine and Tami's tomorrow.  He told me, "you aren't on the list.  We have one small tree to do out by the front, but that's all."

Needless to say, I came in, called the office and left a message!!!  
======================= 
Pearl called this morning and wanted to know if I could come down because something was wrong with her computer--so I trotted up to her place.  We walked back to her bedroom and I sat down in front of the computer and she said, "I can't see any ports on the front of the computer."

I looked down at it, "Sure there are.  Two small plugs, like for your speakers, and two slots for your camera or something like that."

"Well, I tried to plug my speakers in there and I couldn't see the hole."

"Because..............?"

"I wanted to plug them in there so they would work."

"Are they still plugged in...in the back?"

"Yes...and they still don't work."
<done with this>

I reached back behind her monitor where her speakers are---picked up the cord with the electrical plug on the end and said,  "Honey, it doesn't matter where you put the plug on your computer.  Your speakers don't work because................." and I dangled the electrical plug in the air between us.

"Oh my Lord!  I just need an extension cord!"

"Yup.  Do you have one?"

"Yes, but you'll have to reach up and get it.  It's in a box, on the shelf,  over the washer."

So I went and got it, plugged the speaker plug into it and said, "Now, we have no room on the surge protector because it only has five outlets and they are full.  Where in the world can we plug this into?"

"I have another wall outlet right over here, on the other end of the dresser."

I had her plug it in, sit down in front of her computer and bring up one of her games and---VOILA' sound.

"That's what you have been trying to tell me for the past week, isn't it?"

"Yup."

"...and I was trying to plug both ends into the computer.  Oh good Lord!"

So--on to the next computer problem.

"Whenever I bring up a new game, there is a black box that comes on the screen and I don't know how to get rid of it."

"Okay--show me."

She Googled the name of a game and up the link came, then, instead of clicking on the name of the game, she clicked on a little green box with a check mark inside and up came a black box that said, "Bitdefender has found this site to be safe."

"That is the anti-virus and malware system we have installed on our computers.  It is saying that the game you want to play is safe to play.  The reason the message came up is because you clicked on the little green box.  Instead, just click on the name of the game."

Which she did and there was her game.

I came home.
============================



5 comments:

  1. Well, that stinks if they're not going to take down your tree!

    Thank goodness now you have Pearl going with sound! hahaha
    I'm sorry, I'm tired and that just struck me funny after all the time
    you've trying to get her to understand.

    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a huge tree! You must have had a noisy morning with those guys working.

    ReplyDelete
  3. At least she realized that is what you were trying to tell her - small victories :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello? Is anyone in there? Dangling the cord in front of her was a master stroke. I have an airhead in my life who drives me nuts running off at her mouth without connecting her brain. Hello? Earth to Mars...maybe this way I can deal with her. After all, she IS family.
    .
    I'm guessing Dar's big tree ate up most of the budget - that's a huge one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is one big tree and the man's saw doesn't look big enough. I hope hijacked get things straight about your tree. Thank goodness Pearl's speakers are finally working. All is right with the world... for now. Let us know now Merl is getting along.

    ReplyDelete