title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Sunday, May 10, 2020

It's been many years since I got together will all my kids on Mother's Day and five years since I've been with the 3 daughter's on Mother's Day.  My Mother died many years ago at the young age of 53 and since then, I would just as soon forget all about it.  So to me, today is May10th 2020, a Sunday with lots of sun and even a few early morning snow flakes.  Bah Humbug.

Ah-hh, but yesterday, daughter Karen and her hubs Mark came over and in the windy and chilly 47 degrees, ripped out the raised garden I had on the west side of my shed.  That garden has been a pain in my heart and I have been trying to find someone to take it out for 4 years.  The rain that came off the shed roof, poured down into that garden and at one time, it was great because that meant I didn't have to haul the heavy hose out there to water.  In the last 6-7 years, that rain has poured into the garden and directly UNDER the shed, which in turn as caused the shed floor to rot and fall apart.  Apparently whomever erected that shed did not put down a cement pad first.

The kids also dug a hole, where I had a Mulberry tree taken out 5 years ago, to get it ready for the gift for me that I used a bit of my Economic Impact money for.

It's been 25 years that I have yearned for a Red Bud tree, but not the pink kind we have around here, I wanted one with almost black trunk and the branches twist and grow twisty and it reminds me of a Ming tree.  Plus, I wanted one that has purple blossoms--kind of Lavender color--and dark purple leaves.

I checked with the garden center/nursery just down about 600 feet and across the road from me.  Yes, they had them, but they no longer arrange for delivery and planting of the tree.  But, yes, they had them, 5-6 feet tree and only $225.00.  Oh, and it comes with a one year warranty.

EGADS!!!

So I checked on-line and found one, 5-6 feet tall, comes in a burlap bag that you plant along with the tree, one year warranty, and it is a weeping variety.  Shipping and all--$99.00.

 This will be a perfect specimen tree for that spot as the tree doesn't get too wide and only about 8-10 feet tall.

When it arrives, Karen and Mark will come back and plant it for me.
==================
Karen also got me a web cam and I got hooked up with ZOOM so I can attend the virtual wedding shower next Sunday.   Apparently grandson Stephen and Carolyn are still getting married on June 6th, but not the big church wedding they wanted way over on the west side of the state.  Instead, they will be married in the Catholic church here in Brighton, Stephen's home church, with 25-30 people invited and I AM ONE OF THOSE PEOPLE.  

How easy for me to get dress and drive the 3 miles into that church.
Their reception will be end of August on the west side of the state and I probably will not go to that.  2 hour drive over  there and 2 hours at the reception and 2 hour drive back home....I figure would just about kill me or at the least, put me down for 3 days.

I have had their wedding sampler cross stitched for about 4 months.  I thought at one time I was going to have to pick out the "date" threads and re-do it, but....now if I can just figure out if I am allowed out of my house to get it to the frame shop and get it all done in time for the shower next Sunday, I'll be okay with that worry off my mind.
==============
The weather man has promised, that we are done with chilly and this next week it should warm up for the next 4-5 months.  I have my Baltimore Oriole feeder up and 2 pair of Orioles enjoying the grape jelly and sugar water.  The Thistle seed sock is up for the Finches, that have just started coming in and the Hummingbird feeder goes up this afternoon.

I don't when or if I will buy annuals.  I am only going to plant one planter--the 3-tiered one I have for my porch.
===========
I am hoping the hair salon open up before the wedding because I look awful with this sticking out, gray/dark, long hair.
=============
Did you know that the Governor from New York, instead of putting older COVID-19 people on the ship or at the Javetts center, sent them to nursing homes to recover?  Instead, they infected the population in the nursing homes.

We have 380 cases of COVID in this County.  20 have died--all over the age of 70.  No new cases or deaths in this County for the last 5 days, so maybe we are calming down.

14 comments:

  1. Glad you get to go to the shower and are getting your dream tree. They really are pretty. Also glad you didn't have to tear out the dates on your shower gift.

    It's my understanding that New York couldn't use that hospital ship to put Covid-19 patients because it was only allowed to take non-Covid-19 patients to take pressure off the regular hospitals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After the ship had been there for about 10 days with no patients, they designated it for COVID-19 patients only. Same with the Javett's center.

      Delete
  2. That is a special tree. I know you will enjoy it for many years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray for new camera and technology so you can SEE who you are talking to!

    That tree is gorgeous and good for you to gift it to yourself!

    Oregon has been in the high 80's last week. Back to rain and high 60's the coming week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Web Cam is pretty cool, but I disconnect it if I'm not using it.
      Don't want a hacker watching me. HAH!!

      Delete
  4. So glad you can go to the wedding; that's wonderful!

    Your tree will be beautiful, and stop it - you won't kill it. :)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a lot of money to pay for a tree Sally. I gotta make sure to give it a drink of water everyday. I think I have a way to pull the water hose up over my porch and around on the ground in front and then just turn the water onto a slow dribble and let it run all day. Especially when it gets hot and dry in July.

      Delete
  5. awwww judy, how nice that karen and mark came on mothers day and did that work for you!!! i know what you are saying about mothers day, i have not seen either of my boys in years on mothers day. it bothers my youngest but my oldest in texas could care less. i got 2 phone calls and 2 cards from my youngest. he always sends one funny card and one serious one. he is the best card sender!!!

    the tree is gorgeous, a really good choice!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was nice of your daughter and son in law to do that yard work for you! The tree is going to be gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just checking in on you!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, me too. Just saw the flooding in your state and hope you aren't near it and safe on high ground.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad Karen and Mark came to help. You sound very hopeful in that you want to plant a new tree!
    It -- Corona - is getting quite old now!😲😕

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope all is well with you... missing your posts!

    ReplyDelete