title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Thursday, January 16, 2020

The Prednisone did help my back.  It got the pain back to a tolerant level---of course it will never be pain free as I have been told, "There is nothing we can do."

I have found that I can still clean surfaces--dust and scrub counters and all the cursed knick-knacks I have on those surfaces.  I just can't lift anything.  

I had a very blessed day yesterday.  I had called Dar and asked if her house cleaning lady ever did "one-time" jobs.  I don't need someone coming in twice a month, like Dar has.  So, she said she'd check and she and the cleaning lady came over yesterday morning.  Come to find out. the cleaning lady is Monica who lives just up the street...I have known her for years.

I just need my kitchen and utility area floor mopped.  I can vacuum, if I am careful and rest, but for some reason, the scrubbing back and forth action kills my back.

She looked it all over and said yes she'd be over Saturday morning to do it.  She said she likes to get down on her hands and knees, so that she can get into all the corners.  Sounded good to me!

When I asked the price, she said, "I'll charge you ten dollars."

My jaw quite literally dropped.  I was speechless for a moment and then said, "Oh no you won't!  You'll take at least twenty!"

I had expected it would cost 20-25 dollars and that is what I had set aside from the money my son gave me for Christmas.

She said she would even move the 3 wooden carts and chest of drawers I used for storage.  I will make sure to get all the surface knick-knacks off them for her.

I just can't believe this!
===================
Then I decided I had to get to the store.  Their "10 for 10, 11th one free" sale was on.  I drove on in to Brighton and found a parking spot right up by the door.  I managed pretty well with the cart.  If I have the cart to lean on, it doesn't hurt my back too much.

Of course, I had 11 2ltr. jugs of Diet Pepsi and a gallon of milk and a jug of kitty litter.  I wondered how I would carry it all in the house, but just as I backed into my drive, the neighbor kid came home from school and I yelled across the street and he came over and carried in the Pepsi, milk and litter for me.

His Grandma Marilyn is the one whose husband died last spring.  Then in late summer, she fell and tore up her knee.  She was in rehab for 6 weeks.  She and I had talked earlier in the day and I told her I probably should have been using my walker this past week, but it was out in the shed and I didn't have the motivation to walk way out there and get it.

Shortly after her grandson carried in my stuff, her son was at the door asking me if he could get the walker out of the shed for me.  I told him that I didn't really need it anymore and then I remembered something.

I had brought two coolers in from the shed to use to carry the frozen spaghetti sauce in for my Christmas gift for the boys.  Those two heavy coolers were still sitting in my kitchen, so I asked him if he would take them out and put them in the shed, which he did.
===============
I sat in my recliner last night and such a calm and peaceful feeling came over me.  

I don't ask for help and sometimes it is hard for me to accept, but I was in so much pain that I suppose I was in a weak feeling mood.  Besides, when I thought more about it, I could see God's hand in all of those blessings yesterday.  I just smiled and thanked Him.


5 comments:

  1. What an uplifting day you’ve had Judy. Your one-off clean sounds a very good idea and your neighbour’s son will have been more than happy to help with the heavy lifting - being useful is a good feeling! Take it slowly with your back. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. A grateful heart generates more generosity. Just keep saying thanks and see what happens!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ask your Dr for a handicap parking placard!! You have earned that privilege. And I bet your grocery store will do your shopping for you and load it in your car .... then you just have to take in your Pepsi over several days.

    SO good to hear from you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And there are grocery stores now that will deliver and put the items in your cabinets for you. Times are, indeed, changing.

      Delete
  4. Dear Judy, after reading this posting today, I read your January 10th one and so learned what has been happening with your back. I understand "horrific" pain because that's what I had back in December of 2016 until my back operation in March 2017. You must be so exhausted. Worn out. Your mind tired too.

    The thing about asking for help is this--it's been pointed out to me by several good friends: I've (you've) been a giver all my/your life. It's nice being a giver. We feel good and make others happy. But . . . we need to give that pleasure to others, too. We need to let them be givers so they can feel good about their generosity and good will. We need to practice being receivers. It is part of the circle of life.

    That's what I've learned ever since Meniere's Disease introduced itself to me in May of 2006. The learning curve has been difficult, but finally I've learned to ask for help when I need it and to be grateful for what I can still do.

    Please be gracious to yourself. Peace.

    ReplyDelete