title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Friday, October 26, 2018

My sister and brother-in-law came to visit today.  They brought me doughnuts and cider from the cider mill they stopped at on their way.

As long a strong BIL was here, I had him get Rocky out of the trunk of my car and place him under the down spout of my porch roof.



On October 30, 1988, my 2nd husband and I were on our Honeymoon in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.
I should say, "Horrormoon" because it turned out that way...

We were high on a bluff, looking down at Lake Michigan, when I spotted this rock with a basin carved out by the hundreds of year of the swirling waters of the lake.

I scrambled down the hill, but I couldn't lift it from the waters edge, so hubs came down, carried the rock up the hill and stashed it in the trunk of the car.

Thank goodness it was October so no one, including DNR rangers were around, because it is probably illegal to take a rock that big.

I always had him under the down spout--every time we moved, he went long and was put under the down spout.  When it rained, the water swirled in that basin than flowed out into my garden.

Then, when I left that man, I had to leave the rock too.

You know the rest of the story--how I met up with the ex and he asked for my forgiveness for the abuse he bestowed on me and I told him I had forgiven him years ago.

As I was leaving, I noticed the Rock.

"Rocky"! I yelled.  "You still have Rocky!"

"Well, of course I do.  He's mine."

"Oh really?"

"Yeah...really.  I toted him up a very tall hill."

"You never would have known he was there, if I hadn't gone down the hill first to get him."

So, a month ago, the ex called to say he had cleaned Rocky up and if I wanted him, I could come and get him.

AND I did.

So, nearly 30 years to the day when I first found him, Rocky is with me and under my down spout.  

I call that...WINNING!!!!

9 comments:

  1. I love rocks and Rocky is a great one. Glad you got him back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you sound a little like me...what a great story!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! Winning! You have tiger blood!! Neat rock and neat idea of what to do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with The Awkward Widow. LOL

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was looking forward to seeing a picture of this rock. It is very cool! I can see why you wanted it!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a truly wonderful story. And Rocky would be the star of any show. He looks like he was born to receive water from that downspout. Go Rocky! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Intriguing looking rock and interesting story. My husband and I wound our way to the Upper Peninsula on our honeymoon years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can see why you love it. It's gorgeous! How wonderful you can see it every day again.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete