title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Saturday, February 10, 2018

What's happening, Kids?

Snow!  That's what's happening here.


Thursday, I went to lunch with my Old School Gal Pals--windy but a nice day.  Stopped out to The Farm to visit with "Lil" Sister for awhile, then home, parked, put my windshield wipers up so they wouldn't freeze to the windshield, came inside and haven't been out since.

Snow started at 3:00am Friday morning and didn't quit until 7:00 pm last night (Friday).  We only got about 6".

My snow removal kid stopped in Friday around noon and wanted to clean out the drive.
"No!  We've got more coming."

So he went down to Dar's and did hers.  

He came back around 4:00--"No!  We've got more coming."

So he went down to Dar's and did hers again.

He showed up this morning.  "No!  We've got more coming.  Come back Monday morning, okay?"

So he went down to Dar's and did hers.

We are supposed to get another 6" Sunday (tomorrow).  Every time he cleans, it's $20.00.  He has a snow blower so he can clean up a foot of snow, as easily as he can 6".

He knows that Dar is where the money's at.  LOL  Besides she had a physical therapy session yesterday afternoon and thought she was going out.  The roads outside the park were nearly impassable, couldn't see the lane lines besides that, her shoulder is still in a sling.  She planned on driving in a blizzard, with bad roads, with just her left hand?

Dar is one of those people that get antsy and nervous when she is snowed in and can't leave.  I mean, she gets practically hysterical--she feels trapped.  She's paying the neighbor to bring her mail in everyday.  She can't walk 30 feet to her mail box, but she was going to drive, 4 miles in white-out conditions, with just her left hand.  Oh--the PT office called her and canceled her appointment.

I, on the other hand, love being snowed in.  It's so quiet, beautiful to watch the snow falling, lots of birds and squirrels at the feeders.  I could care less how many advertisements and junk mail is building up in the mail box.  I'll get it Monday.  HAH!
=============
I didn't watch the Olympic opening ceremony last night.  I wondered if they were going to have "Lil" Kim light the flame.  LOL  They are really promoting these Olympics as a huge political scenario.  Well, if it tames Lil Kim down, more's the better.

Big News!  Karen's oldest son Marcus is getting married June 2, I told you that, but last weekend?  Her youngest, Madeleine, the ballerina, got engaged!  Totally shocked me.  She's only 21 and today, these kids at that age seem so immature.  They are still into giggling and having fun with friends and constantly on their phones.  I don't know.  I had 3 kids by the time I was 21, but nowadays--they just don't seem as old as we did at the same age.

Oh well.  It is a marriage made in Heaven.  They've known each other since their home school days.  They both are very spiritual and active in their church.  He proposed to her in their church chapel and they are both strong Catholics.  AND he is German!!  Stefan von Bulow.  They aren't getting married until May 2019, after they both graduate from college.......

I have decided, after asking advice from other grandma's, that it is quite all right for grandma to wear an elegant pant suit to Marcus' wedding.  

Karen wanted to take me "dress" shopping.  I'm thinking, "dress--which means heels, panty hose, aching back and legs.  With a pant suit, I can wear a nice pair of flat sandals.  I already have the white lace shell to wear under it.  Now I am just waiting for the spring clothes to come out so I can get a light blue pant suit, sleeves down near the elbow to cover up my ugly upper arms, straight cut pants to cover up my ugly, age spotted legs, and closed toe white sandals, to cover up my ugly feet and toes.

My sister is trying to convince me to color my hair blond again.  She says, since I have gone gray, my face looks colorless, and I won't "stand out" in the wedding photos.

Good Grief.  I don't want to stand out in the photos.  The guys are wearing navy blue, the girls dresses are light blue, I figure if I wear light blue, I will blend into the background.

She said, "You can let it grow back after the wedding."  Then I'd have to color it again for Maddie's wedding?  Oh, Lordy.  Hey--this is Gramma Judy--I am gray and wrinkled and old.  That's just the way it is.  Although, because I am a little vain, I WILL wear make-up that day--if I can find where I stashed it and it isn't all dried up!

Isn't life fun? 

11 comments:

  1. So smart to not pay the snow blower until most of the snow stops!! And glad you got out before it hit. Yay Judy!

    A wedding each year? Exciting!!! I agree with NOT coloring your hair ... it's an expense every 6-8 weeks. But YES on new make up. I use a powder "concealer" (kind of yellow/green) to hide age spots and the Clinique powder make up. It will last the year in between weddings so a good investment. AND maybe have your hair styled the day of the wedding? Have someone practice a week ahead?

    CONGRATS, Grandma!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I colored my hair myself--ash blond. I have the Clinque full line of make-up--great stuff!!

      Delete
  2. The opening ceremony of the Olympics was good. North and South Korean athletes came in together, wearing the same uniforms and a person from both sides carried the flag together. There will be an ice skating team with members from both sides. That was the only political thing I saw and they got the loudest applause of the night. Kim's sister attended and she invited South Korean dignitaries for lunch while she's there. The drone show was amazing!!!!!!!!!!!! I didn't even know they could put 1,500 of them in the sky at once and have them form figures and shapes.

    Your guy might have a snowblower that can blow a foot of snow but it's a lot harder work and takes longer than blowing six inches of snow. Trust me, I've spent a lot of time man-handling a snow blower. I would give him a little tip after he finishes if it were me.

    You'll look great in a blue pantsuit - so much smarter because of the shoe issue it solves. Glad you've got a couple of fun weddings to look forward to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I planned on giving the snow removal kid a tip, but I sure can't afford $20.00 every time we get 3" of snow!!

      Delete
  3. i am not a huge fan of weddings. all the hoopla, getting dressed up and all the money, just not my thing!! i must say though, i do LOVE being married!!

    you sure have gotten a lot of snow, i am a tad jealous!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If they only invited family and no friends, Marcus and Morgan would have a big wedding--their family's are huge.

      Delete
  4. I didn't watch the opening ceremony of the Olympics. I'm so out of the loop.

    You are smart to go with a pantsuit. I haven't worn a dress or skirt in years. You will look lovely in a blue pantsuit. After a certain age, we get to be comfortable. It's all good.

    I can't believe Maddie is getting married next year. Time flies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have 5 dresses, left over from all I gave away when I quit working. One is okay for a wedding, but I guess not as Grandma of the Groom?

      Delete
  5. For some reason, Judy, I had thought that Maddie was more mature than most of the 20's these days. I'm happy for both of your grand's and the upcoming weddings.

    Don't blame you about the pantsuit; that's probably what I would wear also. But, I don't miss panty hose and thankfully they are way out of style now. :)

    Looking at all your snow, and seeing pics of my two youngest great's playing in the water hose today. They had so much fun.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maddie is more mature than most friends her age, but still in all, when I compare these kids to what I was doing at their age--they seem not capable enough. I guess they will learn.
      My daughter's go bare-legged, but my legs are so skinny and white and now have age spots, I have to wear panty hose whenever I wear a dress. I'm just grateful we don't have that whole garter belt thingie going on anymore. LOL

      Delete
  6. Maybe this is terrible of me, but I gave up fashion for comfort some years ago. I don't buy new clothes for weddings if I have something suitable. All eyes will be on the bride, and sort of on the groom. I'm not the big deal at a wedding, and I'm happy with that.

    I don't color my hair. I asked my hair dresser if she thought I should, and she told me I wouldn't like it, that it has to be kept up so often or soon begins to grow out. I'm okay with being gray. I still believe that smiling at people is the best thing. They want to see a smile.

    I like your plans for the weddings you'll be attending. You be more comfortable the way you've planned it.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete