title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Labels

When I work in my garden, I ponder things.  Very, deep, philosophical things.  Tee Hee

Labels.

Hanging around my neck.  I used to have many and now---?

I was a daughter and acted accordingly, as a daughter should.  Then my label was ripped in half, but I still had the label and acted accordingly, even though the half the label that was left didn't treat me very well.

Then, I was a wife and once again acted accordingly.  Doing all the things the books told me I should do to be a good wife.  Even though my Wife Label got scribbled on with words that told me I wasn't doing a very good job.

Then I put on the label Mother.  To me, the best label I ever had.  I loved being pregnant.  Never a day of morning sickness.  Nice, big, healthy, round-headed babies came from my body.  Every one of them was cute from the minute they were born, beautiful when they were grown and still are very handsome and pretty.

Then my Wife label was ripped off and I was labelled, Divorced Woman.  Such a hard label that came with perceptions from others, that I never expected.  Women friends thought I was after their husbands.  Men thought I must need sex from them.  GEEZ!

Then, the best label of all--Grand Mother.  Such a love for the babies of my babies.  I could see all the wonder of life in them that I may have missed with my own, when I felt strongly it was up to ME to raise decently.  The Grand children were not my job to discipline.  Just to play with and teach and enjoy.
===============

My daughter label is gone.  My wife label is gone.  My mother label is still there, but very dim and faded because they are busy and have their own life and don't need mother anymore.  My Grand Mother label is quite dim now too.  Once again, busy lives.  If I want my Grandma label to "shine", I have to go to them.

I also was proud to wear the label, "Loved, Sweetheart, nearly Wife, Care Giver."  Of course, that was ripped from my neck in a very painful way.

No Labels.  I wonder what people see when they look at me?  There are no labels for them to make a determination of "what IS this woman."

I no longer have the labels, so I am prone to wonder, "Who am I anymore?"

In reality, free from the labels, I can now become whomever I want to be.  That's kind of cool.

I have been working at it for the last 3+ years.
=============

I know that I am a really good friend to people.  A good listener.  In the past, I wouldn't have had the time to take the time for a Dar rant, a Pearl senility, a John constantly repeating the same stories over and over.  Now I can and it no longer wears me out.  I listen.  I hear it.  I focus on them.  They leave and I put it entirely out of my mind.  Their, weirdness shall we say, doesn't bother me as it once did.

I know that I am more content to be here, doing my own thing, than to have to be "going" all the time.  I guess I have learned to like myself?  At earlier times, I had to be acknowledged by others to find any worth.  

Socializing?  "They" tell us, older people need to socialize or we will get depressed and feel un-needed.

Oh my.  If I HAD to go to the Senior Center once a week.  If I HAD to take a day trip with a group.  If I had to get out and converse with people on a regular basis, THAT would make me depressed!!  Nervous!  Chaotic feeling!  My worse case scenario.

What fills me with great joy?  Creating!  Losing myself in a genealogy for hours at a time.  It's history to me and it is fascinating.  Knitting or crocheting or cross stitching an item.  Knowing that someday it will go to someone who will really appreciate it and I wonder, what that baby or that person will feel when they receive it.

This time of year, piddling around in my gardens.  NOT the six hours I used to spend twice a week to make the most beautiful garden in the neighborhood.  Now, planting and enjoying what I want to plant.  What I want to see.  Such freedom.

My personality HAS changed.  Without the labels.  Some people are confused by it.  I no longer am the same Judy they have in their perception of me.  Expectations and perceptions from others, no longer matter to me.  I think, for the first time in my life, I just might be a rebel.  LOL

My faith is stronger than it has ever been in my life.  Although I always knew it, I really believe and feel that God is in control and I don't worry about anything anymore.  I have been through really hard times in my life and every single time, something has come to save me.  I choose to truly believe it is God and not just a coincidence.  

I was a worry-wort from the time I was a small child!  Wanting to control to keep everything calm and peaceful and right.  Wanting to be whatever I was supposed to be to every one.  Reacting in a way that was expected of me.

Now--I still hear distressing news.  I am still hurt by people.  Things come that are hard to bear.  It's like I hear it and I know it and my mind just says, "Whatever."

Onward and Upward.  Ever Forward!

No matter what, life is soooooo good!


19 comments:

  1. I completely agree. I was daughter of A, wife of B, mother of C. Now as a widow, that is the only label I have if I choose - otherwise for the first time in my life I have full freedom. Some days its wonderful (some days not so much!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Freedom to do and be whatever you want to. But sad that we don't have our Sweetie to share it all with.

      Delete
  2. For me, I still carry all my labels like a resume of sorts. For example, my parents are gone but a part of me is still a daughter. Same with labels like wife, college grad, floral designer, etc., etc. I don't pull off my labels, I just put another one over the others because we are the sum total of our life experiences.

    Judy, life is going so well for you lately. I'm happy for you. Contentment is a wonderful gift and you've found it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are a many layered woman, Jean. You make your life so interesting for you. I'm glad you can do that. Yes--I am content and have been for the last 18 months or so. I don't know why, much hasn't changed in my situation, but I am at peace most of the minutes in my day. :-)

      Delete
  3. Yes! The label of Contentment. And we each get to choose, every day ... what that "label" is. Some days it's out and about. Some days it's being a hermit. Some days learning. Some days vegging.

    I am loving this phase too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have done admirably. No labels necessary. Just Judy. Just you, in all the glorious complexities implied. Like you, I have dismissed many labels although I still have many intact, for which I'm grateful. Although I have identity in being a wife, mother, grandmother, daughter, sister, and aunt, my strongest identity is now more than ever, just me -- with all my flaws and a few redeeming qualities. There is a blessing to growing older, and it is this acceptance of just who we are -- nothing more and nothing less. And I'm with you on the "socializing" part. I love going to church and greeting my friends, having brief conversations, but that's as far as it goes. I love to be alone, and like you, to create. And like you, I believe God is always right and God is always good. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Judy, I'm so glad that you are happy and content. It takes awhile to get there, to feel comfortable in our own skins. There are definitely perks that come with this time of life. Understanding ourselves is one of them. Figuring out what we need and giving it to ourselves is another.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "It takes awhile?" It took me nearly 70 years!!!LOL

      Delete
  6. I say contented is the best label of all and the only one to have at this time in your life! Glad you are happy, buddy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this post so much. You are awesome and truly an inspiration to me. Hugs, dear Judy. Contented Friend, and wonderful woman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Far from awesome!! Just finally found my way. You have a lot of Labels. Love them while you have them and find contentment when they start to fade. :-)

      Delete
  8. Judy, I'm so pleased to see the People-Pleaser label fell off somewhere along the way, and was replaced by the Judy-Pleaser one. Weird thing is, the Judy-pleaser person is really attractive! It's like you're harmonizing with something you sense beneath, or above, the striving and labelling. Cool gal, you... you.... you...one-of-a-kind-gal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of a kind--I guess. I have always felt different than the rest of the "crowd". My view point, feelings--not quite "normal" like theirs. Now--here I am, older than dirt and it's okay to be ME!! You know exactly what I mean!

      Delete
  9. Jude... you always amaze me. I probably don't say it enough... but you do kiddo. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Joanie! Thanks. Your words mean a lot to me.

      Delete