title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Sunday, October 5, 2014

An Inside Day




Building the deck started this morning at 9:00am

I know nothing of construction, but I would think that the concrete
footings should be ON a concrete slab or concrete pads
not just sat on the damp ground.
Won't they settle into the earth and the deck along with them? 



Less than 8 hours later and the basic deck is almost completed 


See the posts for the railing cut off?
The old guy has the white plastic covers all ready to put on


I took the living room drapes down.  Windexed the windows and put them back up, along with the cafe' sheer on the bottom.  The drapes stated, "Dry Clean Only"--like that's going to happen on my budget.  Into the dryer, with a dryer sheet and they came out, sans cat fur and smelled fresh.

I like as much outside light as possible coming into this house.  In the summer, I keep the blinds down to the second window.  In the winter, with the light coming at a different angle, I pull the blinds all the way up and put a cafe' curtain across the bottom window so Tami can't see in!!!   With inside lights on for more hours than in the summer months, that sheer affords me a bit more privacy--or so I think.  They may be pulled back during the day so my purry furry's can see out.


Luckily I had purchased an extra tension rod a few years ago because,
one of the ones I was using decided to fall apart last spring when I took them down.




Pearl gave me her meatloaf recipe a couple of days ago, so I decided to use the last of my "free" ground chuck and make it for supper.  BLAH!!!  She uses a can of drained, diced tomatoes in hers and crushed up crackers.  I always put an envelope of Dry Onion Soup mix in mine, 1/4 cup Ketchup, and oatmeal for the filler.  My meat loaf always held together quite well--I could slice it.  Pearl's fell apart when I tried to get it out of the bread loaf pan.  Hers tasted pretty bland to me, but I have some great meat sauce my sister canned and I spread a lot of that on the meat.

The potato I baked to go along with the meat loaf was very good, however. :-)  

This for desert.  I do love this fruit!  Even when it thaws, it doesn't get mushy.  They had it on sale at Meijer the other day.  Yes--you see sugar on the unsweetened fruit!!!  You probably would have laughed at the inordinate amount of butter I put on a baked potato.  LOL.  Don't judge me.  I am old!  I am going to enjoy!

=============================

As I read through my blogging buddies posts--I realize just how odd I am--compared to the more "normal" human woman.

Most "people" arise at an early time of morning.  If I get out of bed before 9:00am, I consider it early.  One worries that she could stay in her robe all day.  I never even think about the fact that, if I have no where to go, I am in my cotton, knee length nightie until 11:00am.  I live alone.  I spend 2 hours on this computer in the morning--my nightie is comfy.

Another widow is trying to figure out how to get the feeling of intimate comfort into her life. I don't miss sex in the less tiniest bit!  As I look back on my life, I don't know if I ever enjoyed it!  To me, sex was always a "trade-off" for something.  It made the guy I was with happier and when he was happy, he was nicer to me.  Oh...and I was a really good actress!!!  I had more than one guy tell me that I was the best sexual partner he had ever had!!!   

I think perhaps that is why Fred and I got along so well.  He was nearly impotent from the day I met him.  After his heart attack and surgery, he was so relieved when I wasn't disappointed that we could no longer have "sex".  He gave me more love and intimacy than any man I've ever known. 

At this stage of my life, the thought of sex makes me ill.  I would not want anyone to see this saggy, scarred body!  I can barely look at it in the mirror when I get out of the shower!  It would be way too much work on my part--because most of men my age are impotent, but they think, I would be the one to renew their youthful vigor.  My arthritic fingers, painful shoulder, brusitic elbow and stiff neck tells me--I am not going through that much work or pain to give him 33 seconds of fun!!!!!

Yes--I miss the comfort of  hugs, kisses and being held, but....unless I could find another Fred, I am not going to have those comforts.

Another blogger friend tells of her hours getting her home and herself ready for winter.  I think I must really be lazy or not aware as the casual way I treat winter.  I have many afghans--hanging over the back of the couch, or chair--looking all ready for use.  I never use any of them.  I did put the thermal light-weight blanket back on the bed, between light bedspread and sheets, but that's about it.  I don't have an electric blanket or heated throws.

I did swap out my summer and winter clothes--but that was just for the "good" clothes--sweaters instead of tops.  I go barefooted in the house most of the year.  Perhaps a pair of cotton sox once in awhile.  I keep the furnace thermostat set at 73 degrees--summer and winter.

She has brought out her scarves, mittens, hats, boots, coats, for winter.  I have a scarf--a decorative one that hangs around the collar of my winter coat.  I never wear a hat--never.  I rarely pull on a pair of gloves--more for fashion than for warmth.  I only wear my boots if the snow is above my shoe tops, LOL.

I do prepare my house, in that I make sure all my windows are closed tightly and locked and I do insulate my back door, but only because it has a leak along the bottom.  

Most of my blog buddies love to read.  They curl up in their chair, under their cozy afghan and read.  Or they read in bed at night.  My bedside table holds a lamp with a 20 watt bulb in it.  The only thing I do in my bedroom, is change into my nightie, say my prayers and go to sleep.  The only thing I do in my chair, is cross stitch, crochet and watch TV.

Some are bemoaning the fact that their outside activities, things they go to, will be curtailed by the winter snow and weather.  Since I don't go many place any time of year, winter weather never bothers me.  In fact, I would much rather have a blizzard and be snowed-in for two days, then have to worry about humidity and an approaching severe storm.  

I am not a porch-sitter in the spring or summer, so not being able to do that doesn't matter to me when fall and winter chills come along.    As for taking a walk--I rather enjoy a walk down the block with snow falling on my head, than with sweat from the humidity running down my face.

Others post or tell of the wonderful meals they prepare. I can't even begin to explain in a way you'd understand, my total disinterest in food.  I eat when my stomach growls and reminds me...or when I get a bit dizzy because my blood sugar is low.  More often, it is a piece of cheese grabbed from the refrigerator.  A peanut butter sandwich on a croissant because I keep no bread in the house and croissants can be quickly thawed in the microwave and the dough is much lighter than bread.  

I eat whatever is near and easy.  I do, at times, crave a nice Subway sandwich, but a lot of times, I crave popcorn with milk on it.  I eat more fruit and vegetables than I ever have in my life.  I have no appetite, so...I don't eat much.  I don't enjoy, going out to eat, because I take a few bites and I am full.  I probably could exist on warm milk with Nestle's Quik and toast dunked in it.  These eating habits will probably catch up with me one day, but right now...............................

So--I have always known that I was "different" than most of my friends--in the way I think and the way I react to things.  That never bothered me.  Who wants to be like the crowd?  Right?  Now, as I grow older and am alone, I have more time to compare and to think and..............

I guess I am just me.  Different than most.  Not interested in what others find interesting.  Not really caring.   It makes me wonder if I am missing out on life.
===============
I gotta go and get some warm milk and cocoa--that greasy meatloaf has made me nauseous!!

    

11 comments:

  1. We are all different but alike at the same time. Blogging is fun in that we get to compare our everyday lives. Love to do that.

    I just bought some of that fruit blend from Meijer to add to my shakes. I am intrigued by your popcorn and milk combination. I've never heard of anyone doing that but corn is in so many different cereals, why not.

    I am so glad you had Fred in your life. It would have be such a shame to have missed the affection and love he gave you after having a bad marriage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't see where you think you're different than most, Judy. Surely, you have friends that you have some things in common with. And, of course we are each unique, I believe which is a good thing. I mean, really, I don't know people who are exactly like me, and they wouldn't be interesting to communicate with if we were alike. Occasionally, it's nice to talk with someone who enjoys the same authors I read, or watch the same soaps (which btw I watch Y&R but not as religiously as in years past). My dad actually got me interested all those many years ago, believe it or not. Bless his sweet soul, after he retired, he started watching it. And, when I'd visit he'd always ask "Sis, have you watched THE program?" It always tickled me seeing as how he was a big athletic man through the years, government worker for 40 years; Navy All Star basketball player, and then a coach for the Navy team here in Jax. :)

    Anyway, I like you as you are. You're interesting and interested in other people (well except as you say, not interested in what others find interesting).

    P.S. Yeah, don't make that meatloaf again; doesn't sound all that good.

    I'm off to bed before I get a wild hair and put something in the oven.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I go to bed at 2am so I am not about to get up at 9am. Usually it's 10am and only because my cats are pawing on my bedroom door.
    When you make meatloaf do you substitute the oatmeal for bread crumbs? I might try that since there is so much sodium in the crumbs and none in meatloaf.
    Popcorn with milk on it? That's a new one for me.
    And, BTW, sex is so overrated.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So you feel like an oddball? Join the club! It makes you an interesting person, and I get to peek inside at her. I will celebrate the day I can be as unabashedly revealing as you. I could've written "I guess I am just me. Different than most. Not interested in what others find interesting. Not really caring.". I would have finished with "It makes me wonder if I should change to go along to get along".

    BTW, sex is so underrated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My life as a farmer makes me so different from most of your readers that sometimes I'm not comfortable even writing a comment. Then I remember the old bumper sticker words, "Don't cuss the farmer with your mouth full." I really have no close friends, which is my fault; I'm too shy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know you can comment on here!!! BTW--I have a cross stitch of that saying, along with a barn, a silo and a green tractor--gave it to my Daddy years ago. Perhaps one of the reasons I DO feel kind of different now, is because I am living in a "community", where, I am use to living out on the farm. Women in the community are always on the go and doing all sorts of things, while my mentality is back on the farm where, we were on the go, but it was usually going to do things in the fields, the barns, the chicken coops, and the house, instead of the movies, art galleries, Senior center, etc. :-)

      Delete
  6. I'm with you on the whole sex thing, and I'm 57, but just over the it!

    I think we're all different and thank God for that. How boring would it be if we were all the same? I often feel 'different' myself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never made a meat loaf! lol share your recipe :)



    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the differences in people. I'm certainly not like many people around here. LOL. It seems like the more comfortable I get with my own self, the more I feel different than others. Oh well. As my grandma always said, it takes all kinds, and life would be boring if we were all the same.
    I find you fun - and I think we'd be great friends!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love meatloaf but I use hot picante sauce instead of ketchup. Listen you are just fine the way you are. I have to get up early every morning because of my grandsons and I always check for your blog but since I check for it at about 6 every morning it is never here yet. Ha. VickieOkc

    ReplyDelete
  10. Okay, I'm caught up and I've left comments everywhere. Boy, have I enjoyed myself tonight. You are my entertainment.

    I love meatloaf, and I just told H that I needed to make it soon. Judy, I think you're more similar to others than you think. Gardening is one of the most common hobbies around, and a lot of people enjoy crocheting and watching TV.

    I once had a blouse that was dry clean only. I washed it anyway, and it shrunk to the size of a child.

    I wish I had an appetite like yours. Mine is way too big for my own good.

    Popcorn with milk?? Never heard of that. Doesn't it get soggy?

    ReplyDelete