title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Monday, November 28, 2022

 The last week of November.  These last few months have gone so fast and I have spent most of them in hospital or here.

I went to the dining room for lunch today.  "they" tell me if I don't socialize I will get even weaker and want to be alone more.

HAH!

I've spent the last 10 years basically alone and the last 3 years totally alone--except for therapy.  I like to be alone,  The ladies at the table seeded sane at least.  I wanted answers so I ask--"how long did it take you to get used to living here?"

    #1.  Mary--has a sharp nose, like a witch and a gray wig cut in different lengths. "I've neen here eight and a half months and I still hate it."

    #2  Ann--quiet, composed, sweet smile.  She said "I've been here 3 years...don't like it.  I dom't anyone ever really gets used to it...knowing this is it for life...no matter how nice the facilities, we are still"captive".

    #Julia -- scowled  atl the time--didn't say a word...not a word...just sat and look at me.

That may or may not be her answer.

7 comments:

  1. I can only imagine how you and everyone else feels about being there. I wish it could have been different for you, Judy. And, you know I think my family may soon be thinking about 'me' since the dementia has started. I won't like it, but it will be what it is. I'm like you in the respect of not minding being alone. In fact, with Britt and the kids being every other week, I prefer to stay in my room. Chin up, lady! Love you. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Certainly a new experience. I'm praying you will come across some friends more amenable to the experience of living in a care facility. Or, perhaps, a group who feel you are all in the "same boat," and attempt to keep it afloat. Can you invite local friends/family for a meal? I know the care facilities here in Fresno allow that once a week. It's very hard to be around curmudgeons all of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you find some improvements in your living situation. I was a volunteer visitor for 8 years at an assisted living place (stopped during Covid of course) and they did have some nice activities and a van that took people on outings. Does your place offer those things?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds normal for most people. I doubt anyone wants to be there. But you can do things there that you can't do at home. Is there a physical therapist there? Can you get in the gym and work out? My Mom hated it in her place too, but she got to riding the recumbant bike and got well enough to go home. She was 82. Had a broken hip and replacement. She worked hard and got to leave. Maybe try physical therapy there and see how it goes. I like being alone too. Can you talk on your phone or Facetime with your family and friends? At least you have this blog. Keep posting so we can see how you are doing! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am just so sorry you did not get to go back to your home and make decisions about your things. I can't imagine how difficult that was to experience, and this decision without any consultation of you is very hard to accept on it's own. I say all the time, people do not know what something is like unless they've experienced it for themselves. Prayers for you Judy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope eventually you will get used to being there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for this stream to the outside world. As for being alone, whatever provides peace is my MO. And privacy offers peace and enjoyment for me 90% of the time. My Dad was an avid reader so when he was alone in his room at the end he wasn't alone. He was in the company he chose. Keep writing 🤗

    ReplyDelete