title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Thursday, November 19, 2020

 I really am sorry.

I have had friends on this blog e-mail me and ask if I am all right.

I have been so negligent in posting.

It's just...there is very little positive things in life right now, that a post would be such a downer it wouldn't help anyone else.

People that know me in "real life" always mention what a positive, always smiling person I am.  Always upbeat, with a spring in my step.  

That's true--when I am out.  When I am around people.  Little do they know the lifelong battle I have had with depression and "boy howdy", as a friend Bonnie would say, that depression has me in its grip now!

I suppose I have too much pride to allow people to see that, so I stay home and that is self defeating because, not seeing and communicating with people, makes the depression worse.

After all people!  I am this deep faith Christian.  Giving all my worries and frustrations to God and waiting on Him to give me all I need in life.  Which I do, but I guess it makes me feel like a fake when I get depressed.  I shouldn't be depressed.  If my walk is where my talk is, I should be relaxed and calm and peaceful.

I guess...it's just everything that is going on in my world.

The pandemic is getting worse.  Our positive cases here in Michigan are higher than they were last spring.  It appears we are headed for another full lockdown.

The stupid election and this whole recount and suing States for "stealing and cheating" has me riled up.  I posted on FB that it was time to accept defeat, congratulate the winner graciously and get on with things.  All my Republican friends jumped all over me.  "Never give up!" they commented.  

I was hoping "we" could take the higher ground and not act like the Democrats acted these last 4 years.  Apparently not!

I've played enough sports where the umpires or refs made the wrong call, causing my team to lose.  You get angry.  You feel hurt, but you go over and congratulate the other team and walk away a good loser.  

Of course, the Holiday season never was any good for someone with depression, especially if they are alone.  I didn't decorate last year and I won't this year either.

"Oh, you must decorate," people say.  "It will make you feel better."

No.  It won't.  All the bright lights and songs just remind me of what I've lost.  Oh, I'll be okay when family gets together on Christmas Eve, if we do this year.  I will be happy and smiling and laughing with the Grand Kids, and wondering how long I have to stay in that noisy atmosphere, until I can gracefully leave to come home to quietness.  Four hours is my max.

I am turning into the stereotypical old woman!  Complaining and cranky.  Alone with her cats.  One pity party after another.

But no one will know, because I cover it so well.  What a fake!

====================

I just finished helping a friend do her family story.  Not a regular genealogy, as her family came from Hungary and we could only go back two generations.  Records in the countries that the Communists took over in WWII and after, are hard to find.  You have to fly over there and visit the church in their town to see if any records still exist.

It was a fun project.  She had collected so many photos and stories from her siblings and grandkids about her parents.  Also a section devoted to each sibling, there were 7 of them in the family, so it included grandchildren, great grands information.

Now I am working on a genealogy for a classmate of mine, wife.  He passed 3 years ago and she wants it for their two sons.  She didn't even think to have her own family included until I told her that if this genealogy was for their sons and grandchildren, her family must be included also.

Did I tell you that my car is in home Hospice?  I took it in for what I thought was a small repair...power steering fluid leaking from the rack and pinion...but they couldn't fix it because the undercarriage is so rusted out that there wasn't anything to fasten the new rack and pinion onto.

It is still driveable for short trips, like to the store or appointments, but it is on it's last wheels.

So, I need to find another car.  How am I going to finance that?

========================

My son's cancer has returned and he has to have a kidney removed.  His "girlfriend" has a text thread she uses to let my daughter's and sister know what is going on, but she won't e-mail me anything.  So I have to call my sister to find out what is happening.  

I have been nothing but nice to this woman for the last 17 years, but for some reason, she doesn't like me, I guess. 

I have to be careful what I post on Face Book because she is in cahoots with my youngest Jennifer and tells her if I post something she deems to be wrong.

========================

When I went to my daughter Karen's for the fall into the leaf pile and birthday party, I found out two days later that Karen's mother-in-law tested positive and was in hospital.  She and I sat next to each other at the table and yakked and yakked.  So I just stayed in for 14 days and waited to see if I had contracted The Virus.  No I did not and the lady is now home and doing well.

====================

I am doing okay.  Working on some exercises to get more strength back in my legs.  Working on this genealogy to keep my mind occupied.  Trying not to watch any National News because there isn't one main stream or cable news network that isn't prejudiced and biased to the max!

I will try to do better on posting, but for some reason, I am hesitant to tell it all to you.  I still feel like there might be a "spy" reading these posts and reporting back to my youngest.

Great!  Now I'm getting paranoid.  Oh well, that's a new mental illness I haven't had before.

HAH!

16 comments:

  1. Hey Judy! If you ever need anything like a ride to the store or some help with something feel free to PM me on FB and let me know. You're no more than a half hour drive for me and I would be happy to help you out if you need it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see your very chatty post. Sorry depression has you down in the dumps. We're you the same way last year at this time? If not, we sure have a lot on our collective plates this year to make any of us depressed.

    Virtual hug coming your way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the hug. I sure could use a real one.

      Delete
    2. Yes, I was depressed last year and at the time, angry.

      Delete
  3. It is depressing right now for sure. I am sorry you are going through this. I hope you can get a car. In California the virus has taken off again too. I think that is very hopeful that you sat next to someone who tested positive and you did not get it. You must have a strong immune system! I hope you will post again soon. I miss reading your posts! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been told my immune system is strong.
      I have never had the Flu and haven't even had a cold in 7 years--but then, I don't go out much to get around germy people. LOL

      Delete
  4. your talk about sports and congratulating the winning team was dead on. i have a lot going on in my head about the election, but i don't talk politics with anyone but the hubs!!

    i did not know you suffered from depression. here, i always see you as happy spirited and energetic, always working on some needlework project or your genealogy....i actually hope that i will be like you when i grow up!!

    this is such a difficult time for everyone, how you handle things speaks volumes about the kind of person you are. and you my friend, are pretty darn awesome. keep busy, take care of your home, and don't focus on anyone who "doesn't like" you. don't waste your precious time!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. SO happy to hear from you! Many, many people experience depression, especially in the winter. My hubby, my sister and even me. In lieu of being around people to help cheer you on, phone calls might be second best!

    Take extra Vitamin D and here is a listing of plant and animal food that help! https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6147775/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do take Vitamin D3 and Vitamin C and Zinc and Collagen and I have a "daylight" floor lamp that shines down on me when I sit in my recliner.
      But...depression comes at all times of the year. No matter the weather or the activities.

      Delete
  6. Well ... the fate of our beloved country is not a ball game. Plus, they cheated. We did not cheat in 2016; Mr. Trump won fair and square. Democrats lie when the truth would serve them better, and they cheated this time because they were not about to let him win. Sorry but I'm not of the mind that we should gracefully accept that. They cooked the books and if there is any justice, we will get to the bottom of it and they won't get away with it. As for Covid, both I and TG have had it and while it was (for me) uncomfortable for a few days, it was far less painful and of much less duration than the last time I had the flu, which was January of 2018. Greg had about one degree of temp for one night, and then felt fine. The overwhelming majority of people recover from Covid with no lasting ill effects. Speaking of ill effects, depression is an actual illness and not a state of mind. It's devastating and hard to deal with. I hope you know that many sympathize with you and are praying for you. I hope you have a blessed holiday season despite having the blues. I will pray that God provides you a reliable car. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny. I do appreciate your thoughts and always in need of prayers.

      Delete
  7. Dear Judy, first, I want you to know that I, too, have had bouts of depression. One lasted for 10 years--throughout the decade of my thirties. It still happens especially when I have Meniere's symptoms (the headache is problematic). It is then that I may fall into self-pity. Here's what I have found helps me. It may or may not help you, but I offer it now and you may already do it. That is, I concentrate on gratitude. I may take a year of my life--say when I was 42, and I think of all I am grateful for about that year. I cover small and big things--a whole array of what makes up my universe.

    OR, I take a room in my home, and I sit on a chair and just look around the room and find all I am grateful for. Let's say I'm in the kitchen. I find myself grateful that I have the money to heat the house on these cold days, that I have dishes that please me, that my silverware drawer is organized, that the dishwasher saves me so much time, that I can see the birds at the feed right outside the window. I think of those times others have gathered around the kitchen table with me to eat a meal or work a puzzle or play a game. I just let my gaze rest everywhere and my mind go from past to present to my hope for the future, and I find so much to be grateful for that depression has no room in my mind . . . or in my heart.

    Now as to politics. As you've probably gathered from my blog, I espouse the platform of the Democratic party. I honor its inclusiveness. However, I find myself longing for the days when there were moderates in Congress and among those I met here and there. Now, we just seem to have die-hard Republicans and die-hard Democrats. What we need is a large group of moderates who can teach use the art of compromise again. I hope this doesn't offend you in any way. It's where I am right now in my thoughts on what is happening among us. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dee. "Moderation in all things." Was it Saint Augustine who said that? I may have to Google to find out.

      Delete
  8. Do hope you're feeling better soon. Glad you've been able to avoid the virus. We're on limited lockdown here now and if infections keep increasing we may need to go on lockdown. Patience is about all any of us can try to practice though it's easier said than done. We just have to hang in there as this will pass sooner or later.

    Can appreciate the discouragement you must feel with your car issues and hope you're able to get what transportation you may need. I had forgotten the problem rust could be in snow country. Perhaps there are free delivery services for some stores. I have had to resort to more online purchasing than I usually did so we can be glad to have that available. Wonder if your town has groups or services that offer rides for seniors as we have here, but expect you've explored what might be available for you. There were a couple times when I thought it wasn't safe for me to drive so I resorted to using those rides that charged nominally but only if you could afford to pay.

    Politically I've always thought we were best served with a mixture of both parties to try to keep a balance so extremists on either end of the spectrum couldn't dictate. Perhaps in the coming year we can look forward to a more moderate approach that will help all of us experience renewed confidence our government cares for all of us. I send you positive wishes across the miles.

    ReplyDelete