title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Tuesday, October 30, 2018

After our rain last night, Rocky once again has water in his basin.

========================
Someone from Phoenix, Arizona, who reads this blog, mailed me a $20 dollar bill.  I don't know how you got my mailing address, but thank you so much!  It went into the nearly dry gas tank on my car!

I also got a grocery store gift card from my cousin and I took that and shopped for all those expensive things we need--like bathroom tissue, laundry and dish detergent--those things we need and can't eat!  I also had enough to buy a loaf of bread, a gallon of milk, some lunch meat and cheese.  

The end of last week I spent calling businesses and companies.  Trying to get lower prices on my utilities, health insurance, car insurance--those monthly bills.  I am at the lowest health insurance available.  NO--I did not get another Advantage Plan with Zero monthly payment.  You won't remember, but I got roped into one of those 4 years ago.  It was great because I did not see the doc very often, so the $20 co-pay was no big deal.  But...then I had the emergency AFib, with an ambulance ride, and 3 days in hospital and came out with a bill for $2,600.00  If I had Traditional Health insurance, like I did before and do now, everything would have been covered.  

I did get my gas bill lowered--some sort of 12 month plan.  I pay $39.00 a month which is lower than a regular budget payment.  Couldn't get my electrical bill lower, but did get my cable TV/Internet/Phone taken down $10.00 for two years.  

My friend Bethie, had her genealogy done years ago.  She has it traced back into the 800's!!!!!  BUT, it is in separate files and folders and pages stuffed in manila enveloped.

She wants me to organize it and put it all in chronological order in a book like the genealogy books I make for my clients.

Now, I know Bethie is doing this to help me out financially, but because it isn't an outright "pity" job and it will take lots of work on my end, I can't wait to do it!!!!!  Just think, the research, the hardest part, is already done for me.  YAY!!!  I get to do the fun part of organizing and writing her family history.
=========================
So--things are working out.  I can't believe the number of people who have notified me that they are praying for me.  My friend Jennifer in South Carolina had her pastor pray for me at Sunday night services.  I watch her church Sunday mornings, live streaming on my computer, but I am not a member of that church and to have the pastor pray..........for me?  That brought a lot of ease and comfort to me.  
========================
Tomorrow is Halloween--a "holiday" that I have detested most of my life.  My Mother loved it--even as a kid, I hated it.  My kids loved it and all of my friends, so I never ruined it for any of them, but oh....how I hated the dressing up and the stupid parties.  Oh well--no one will come here asking for candy, so I can just ignore the whole thing.

In fact tomorrow, I will empty my bedroom closet to switch my summer clothes for warmer ones and while that closet is empty, I will hook up and drain the water heater.  When I get some extra money, I will get a new furnace filter too and next month, my sister and BIL will come down to put plastic over the inside of my back door to keep out the winter drafts.

We didn't have much of a summer here--so hot and humid we couldn't enjoy being outside and stayed closed up with the A/C running and soon the snow will come and we will be closed up again with the furnace running.

I hope I get some good genealogies to occupy me through the winter months.  I do love the snow, but not fond of the really cold.  

11 comments:

  1. Prayers really do work! I'm so glad your blogger buddies are helping in ways that they can! It takes a village! PLEASE BLOG MORE! Love reading them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, so glad things are looking up for you! There is not anything more powerful than prayer, at least in my mind.

    800 years back, that is awesome!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate Halloween, too. That two hour window when I have to pass out 80 to 100 pieces of candy is two hours of being cold, letting heat outside, missing the news on TV and having to lock up the dog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not a fan of Halloween either. I know it is a really big thing in the States. It's not such a big deal here in Ontario. I live too far out of town and there are no children and no streetlights on my road. So tomorrow will be just an ordinary evening. I agree with Awkward Widow..I so enjoy reading your blog.
    Thank you.
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  5. We get NO trick or treaters here at the condo. All old fuddy duddies live here, maybe 5 kids. In Maui? 500+ kids! We live in a neighborhood with sidewalks, street lights and flat terrain. Houses are close together so it's easy pickins. Neighbors would get together with card tables in their driveways and we adults would be sipping and handing out candy. The costumes were spectacular ... often the parents dressing up to coordinate! Ralph took pictures of every single one! My grandboys are being taken to a ritzy neighborhood with sidewalks and people who decorate! So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I guess I'm the one who loves Halloween here. I don't get many trick-or-treaters, though. I have about 40 pieces of candy. I doubt I'll need any more than that.

    Glad you got your gas and cable bills lowered. Always thinking of you, Judy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm with you -- love snow, hate the cold. When we lived in the Chicago area I was so conflicted. I don't think I could do it again. Our weather is pretty much perfect right now here in South Carolina but I do wish we had more winter than we get. It's just a few weeks of sweater weather for us. I like dressing in layers.

    GOOD JOB making those calls and getting the bills lowered. Most people don't have the courage and stick-to-it-iveness to undertake such a task, what with being put on hold and people not really listening when they ARE on the line with you. That took moxie and more people should do it because if you just talk to providers of those services, usually they'll come your way a bit.

    I dislike Halloween too, and although we live in a peaceful, quiet, large subdivision, children never knock on our door. I haven't bought candy in so long, I don't even remember the last time. Tonight we're taking Audrey and Dagny out for dinner so we won't even be here. I hope you have a pleasant day. We are still praying for you! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I related Kat's adventures in the Haunted Houses at Busch Gardens! Quickly quite exhausting, poor girl. David said it WAS scary, and he only walked through it so Kat would have him with her!
    We allowed ours (or took them} to a few houses of people we knew as friends. Neither Edgar nor I went when we were growing up. I didn't like it much then, and still don't. This is probably going to be Kat's last year, but this year, she went to a friend's on the 31rst. They baked their own treats with a third friend!

    I'm so pleased things are looking up some around there for you. You have people praying for you, and we know it works!

    xoxos,
    Trudy

    ReplyDelete
  9. just when you think everything is falling apart, you find it is all falling together!!

    i love halloween and i had so many fun trick-or-treaters in wonderful costumes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Jude--have you gotten a snail mail message from this week?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Everything OK over there, Judy? Give us the high sign! xoxo

    ReplyDelete