title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Prayers, Promises, Weddings and...the dang snow and cold continue.

I talked to daughter Pam last night.  She said her Dad, my 1st ex and father of my children, who winters in Florida, had been in hospital.  He had several blood clots in his lungs!  They had to do surgery to get them out.  That sounds pretty serious to me.

This man was my high school sweetheart--actually I had a crush on him since 6th grade.  Anyway, I loved him deeply and a divorce, while nasty and angry,  doesn't kill that love.  We see each other at the grand kids graduations and weddings and we are cordial.  Always sharing a hug and usually a laugh or two.

I was so worried about him that I couldn't get to sleep last night.  They haven't made the trip back to Michigan as yet.  He just isn't up to it.  Plus, there is 30" of new snow up north, where they live, so they might as well stay in Florida longer.

I finally just prayed for him...which is all I can do.  I don't want the man to die.
although if and when he does, my Social Security will raise about $500.00 a month.
================
On a lighter note--my granddaughter Madeleine (the ballerina) and her fiance', had their betrothal blessed this past Sunday.  I had no idea this was a sacrament in the Catholic church.  

These two have known each other since their home school days.  They re-met in college 3 years ago.  When they were both 14, at different churches, they took a vow of purity until marriage.  You have heard me talk about Maddie and me glancing to see if she still wore her purity ring.  LOL

So this sacrament is almost the same.  They were blessed by the priest, to signify that they were betrothed and still vowed to remain pure until their marriage.

Who does that nowadays?  In these days, is anyone still a virgin when they marry?  Seems like most have lived together for years before they marry.

These two are and have been so deep in their faith and their Catholic beliefs...well, I for one, think it's beautiful!  They will be married next May, 2019.
Stefan and Madeleine
===============
Speaking of weddings--Karen called to set up a date for her to drag take me shopping for wedding attire for the upcoming June 2nd wedding for my oldest grandson Marcus and his bride Morgan.  

I have exhausted all attempts to find anything on-line, so it's off to trek through the many clothing stores in the mall, down by the round-abouts.  

These Round-About are famous around here.  Not for their ease of use, like a normal traffic circle, but for the many accidents and road rage incidents.

Karen will pick me up in the Costco parking lot, a block away, and then SHE will traverse the round-abouts because she has done it many, many time.

You have no idea how much I dread this!  Yes, it will be fun with Karen, but before we get to the back of the store where the pretty clothes are, my back will be screaming in pain.  The outfits won't fit right because I am a size 18 on top and 14 on the bottom.  I have a feeling I am going to settle for a pair of navy blue dress pants, my white shell I already have and hoping I can find some sort of multi-colored, flowing, gauzy tunic-like jacket to bring it all together.

The wedding colors are Navy and Blush.  I do not look good in Blush--I need more color up by my face.

Oh well--I am going to take a forbidden Advil an hour before we leave.  One Advil certainly shouldn't cause internal bleeding.  Will it?  Just one?

12 comments:

  1. My nephew is getting married in NYC the end of September. I'm looking online also ...
    I hate going and trying on. Roamans (online) and Woman Within (online) have some great clothes. I'm also looking at Lili Gal but haven't used them before.

    I may just RENT an outfit! I have only one (black) long skirt and one pair of black flowing pants with big pink flowers. I never get dressed up! Stay tuned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's hard when people we've known since childhood start getting serious illnesses and/or die. How long were you and your first husband married?

    I just had to send back an outfit I bought online for my party...way too big. So I'm wearing old clothes tomorrow. I wish someone would drag me around to stores to shop. I don't mind the shopping it's the driving I hate. Get Karen to drop you off and pick you up at the doors, you won't get quite so tired.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope the shopping trip will take you right to a beautiful new outfit. Do you have Talbot's there? I was in one today and they had really classically beautiful outfits.
    Healing thoughts for the father of your children...I know how hard that is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, sorry about your ex and children,'s dad! Sad to say I missed my grandson's wedding because I had been sick and didn't get the stamina to shop--- and I can never find anything to wear. I have put on 12 pounds in the last 2 years and they've settled every which away. I'm already concerned about what I will wear to go to the doctor's tomorrow. Life's a beach, huh!
    Maddie is beautiful! Purity in that way is unusual these days, yes!! Good for them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh! If you marry after you and your first husband divorced, you are entitled to his SS!? Didn't know that!! My DIL's mother wouldn't marry after her ex remarried just so she'd get his big SS instead of his second wife!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not quite right--if you are married for at least 10 years (used to be 20), and your ex remarries and is married for 10 years--when he died, both wives get his SS. My ex's wife was married twice to GM employees. She can sign up through whichever husband has the highest SS benefit. Her 1st hubs died at 40--my ex, her 2nd hubs is still alive and of course made more money. So when she turned 62, she signed up under his name too. We both are signed up under his name and our own SS is based on his--of course it takes nothing away from his SS. The magic number is, you have to be married 10 years to whomever's number you sign up under. Now--a pension is another thing. I will not get any of his pension, his now wife will.

      Delete
    2. plus--she has been receiving money from her first husband's GM pension.

      Delete
  6. Yes I would say Madeleine and her fiancé are rare indeed! Good for them though. We have a wedding to go to in August. The good thing is it's for my friends daughter so not a family wedding and I can wear something I already have! Crazy how we think!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry, I can't be of any help in shopping for clothes. My wardrobe consists mainly of jeans and shirts ~ farm clothes. In response to your comment about my rusty planter, I hope you go to the farm and find something you can use. It will be like a treasure hunt ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You'll look beautiful no matter what you buy for the wedding.

    I have a friend whose first husband passed away, and she is the only one who receives his ss; not his second wife. Of course, like you said she the last wife receives his pension.

    Your granddaughter is a very smart and beautiful girl! I wish them the best.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. hehehe, we call them "circles" and have several in this area. i like the name "roundabout" better.

    good luck with your shopping venture. i hope you find something comfortable and beautiful!!

    oh and both of my boys live with their girlfriends and have for years. i don't know if they even talk about marriage. they don't talk about it with me!!!

    ReplyDelete