title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Sunday, April 25, 2021

I have been so down in the dumps lately.  Lonely and lonesome.

It's been over a year since I've been up to The Farm.  My car is not stable enough to make that 25 mile trip.

Yesterday, my sister came all the way down from The Farm to pick me up.  We stopped at Culver's to get a butter burger for lunch and then drove the back roads up to our home town.

I don't know why, but she has a key to the church--a church I attended from the age of 6 weeks of age on, so we went inside so I could look around in the sanctuary.   They have added those large video screens up behind the altar.  I don't like them.  I like to hold a hymnal, so I can see the notes so I can harmonize.  Nowadays, they post the words on the video screen and, I guess, people just sing the words in unison with no harmonizing.

I have been having a lot of trouble with my legs.  They are very weak.  I had walked around the church quite a bit and when we got ready to leave, I stepped down on first step of the stairs...my left leg went out and down I went...landing on the step on my behind.  I couldn't even pull myself up by the railing, so I just bumped along, down each step, until my feet were on the floor, then I grabbed the hand rail and my sister grabbed my other arm and I was able to stand.

Then we drove around town a little bit, remembering who used to live where and what stores used to be on main street.  We drove on out of town and stopped at the cemetery where all of our Daddy's ancestor's are...and where we both will be too.  I walked a bit, finding it difficult and painful in my back to walk on uneven ground.  My sister put the flowers in the urns and then we drove around the perimeter lane in the cemetery and stopped to "see" friends and family members who are buried there...my best friend and her husband are there.

Then we drove the 3 miles over to her house.  I enjoyed that drive.  Some of the farmers are already tilling their fields...it's a bit early, but we've had an early spring.  We drove by my oldest daughter's home--was my grandparents home and after my grandma died, we moved over there and raised the kids in that home.  Then up on the corner where my son lives on what was my parents farm and the place I was born.  Then 1/8th mile down to sister's place.  The farm our great great grandparents settled on in 1855.  5 generations of my family have lived in that house.  Of course sister and her hubs updated it a  bit when they moved in 9 years ago.



Then




Now

Instead of leaves, that entire front lawn is covered by tiny purple May flowers.

We talked.  Some serious talk about things I want to go to certain people after I die and she will take care of the distribution.

We laughed and then she got out some old home movies our Mother had taken and I had put on a DVD and we watched.  Once again, so many friends and family members.  It was great to see my sister when she was little and I was a teenager.  To see your Daddy and Mother and grandparents and great grandma walking around.  We wish there had been sound so we could hear their voices again.

Then, she brought me home.  I had been so lonesome to go back "home"...where I know every inch of those houses, the fields, the woods.

It was such a wonderful day..
=============
Of course today, my legs hurt so bad I can hardly walk.  I rubbed them down with some horse liniment I got from a Vet.  It helps horses that have gone lame and...I tell you the truth...this old nag has gone lame in the last few months...but at least I'm not homesick anymore.

10 comments:

  1. What a wonderful outing with your sister. There is nothing quite as good as spending time with someone who shares many of the same memories of growing up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you got to go home and see everyone. I am sorry your legs are bothering you. With the days getting longer and weather warming up hopefully you will be getting out again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad that your sister got you for a trip down memory lane. It must be so bittersweet. I hope you are ok after your fall and that your legs recovered.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was a nice trip, to reminisce, to catch up, the have a change of scenery. Perhaps your sister could do it more often?

    ReplyDelete
  5. sorry to hear that you are down in the dumps, i think a lot of people are feeling a little lonely, it must be very hard for people like you who live alone. i feel very lucky to have my husband at home to keep me company!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Memory Lane is so wonderful. As is company and a delish lunch! Good to talk important things and get that behind you. Write it down so others can find your wishes.

    Oh, OUCH, Judy! So sorry. Ask your Dr if there is any way help strengthen your legs. Start out slowly, like walk the length of your home every hour!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So nice to read about your lovely outing with your sister. Sorry to hear about your legs. I have walking poles that help to keep my balance and take a little pressure off my legs when I occasionally go for a walk on nice days. There are no sidewalks where I live and ditches along the road.
    Glad you felt like writing again.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  8. Enjoyed your recollections and photos. Glad you didn't break anything when you went down. It’s the pits trying to get back up I’ve found, too. Must have been an emotional experience triggering memories on that trip.

    I’ve sometimes wondered what it would be like to live in the general area of where I was born all my life and near to where my family’s earlier generations lived. I did have occasion some years ago to spend a short amount of time in the town where I was born and lived my first decade — so many memories. I wish some of my family could have been with me but had to mull around all those thoughts in my mind for just myself.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Judy, I'm so sorry to learn that your legs are being problematic. How it must have hurt to fall like that. And when something like that happens to me, my mind races to "what's the next thing that will go in my body????" But, oh, how wonderful that you got to go back to the home place and reminisce about your family's sojourn there since 1855. That's 166 years of life and love, sorrow and tears, change and letting go, death and birth, growth and drought. I hope that the memory of that day will comfort you as we move into summer. Take care. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Life Clinic, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Life Clinic via their website www.ultimatelifeclinic.com. I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!

    ReplyDelete