title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Tuesday, June 4, 2019

How disappointing to go through nearly 8 weeks of physical therapy to realize it had done no good.

The pain returned the day before the wedding and by Monday I was suffering miserably.  I went in on Wednesday and all the stretches and exercises and deep tissue massage didn't relieve the pain at all.

Then it dawned on me.  The Prednisone I was on had lasted 5 weeks.  I told my therapist my feelings and he agreed.  He said it was very unfair, for therapist and patient, to try and help someone while they were on a pain relieving medicine.  The minute the Prednisone dissipated from my system, the pain came back just like it was when I first began this process in early April.  So, I parted company with the PT.

I wasn't very hopeful to begin with.  I knew they couldn't cure it, but hoped they could minimize it.  Well, the Prednisone minimized it...not the PT, which very well may have irritated it more.

So...I figure, my back is going to hurt if I work or if I rest and since I had outside work to do...............................
====================
Got my front porch railings and steps painted.  Got my raised bed garden out by the shed, worked up with a garden fork and planted with Zinnia seeds.

I still need to sweep the 457 million Maple Whizzers that are piled up on my driveway and put them into a yard waste bag, but that will have to wait for another day.
=======================
June 10th, I go back to the Physiatrist and see what other ideas he has.  I have friends that have been on maintenance Prednisone for years for their Arthritis, with no ill effects.

I am going to ask him if this is a possibility for me.  I WILL NOT have any more injections in my back as they are painful to get and I have had them before with hardly any relief from the pain.
================
I'm going to live another 15 years and I don't want to live it like this!!!!!

9 comments:

  1. I love Prednisone and wish doctors weren't so stingy with it. I hope you can get yours to do a maintenance dose for long term. Never hurts to ask. I worked outside today, too. One of the first nice days since last fall!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you find pain relief and healing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Could share much on Prednisone. Finally had to part with it and was it difficult, nightmares plus much else.
    So beyond you in these matters and age and now trying to accept and do all I can. Did not have knee surgery and fine sitting but walk with difficulty. I understand.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your attitude about living another 15 years. From your lips to God's ear! And yes, I agree that whatever it takes to be pain-free (short, of course, of taking something addictive and harmful), you should do it. I've never taken prednisone but I am in some major trouble with my rotator cuff (right arm), just like the flare-up I had ten years ago but which resolved itself. I'm going to self-treat with collagen supplements and see if it will back off on its own. I hope you feel better very soon. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Judy! I am so sorry the PT wasn't doing what they thought. Prednisone is a miracle drug, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bummer!!! Do ask for maintenance level of prednisone. And give them an earful if they won't. Sometimes you might have to be the squeaky wheel!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I so agree with you. Once I get going I can walk short distances and have to sit often. Grrrrrrrr.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also wish you didn't have to deal with all that pain!

    My daughter was on prednisone for quite some time after her colon was removed. It was awful for her, so much water retention, weight gain. Her face blew up like a balloon. But, then she was on mega doses. I'm sure you wouldn't be given such high doses. Praying for you, Judy.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excuse me, but we need an update here on this blog. :)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete