title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Sunday, September 9, 2018

You gotta love this Michigan weather.  It is quite normal to have the furnace running in the morning and the A/C switched on in the afternoon.  It was in the 90's last Wednesday and the high 60's on Thursday.  This morning when I woke up, having forgotten to close my bedroom window last night, it was 65 in here.  I turned on the furnace while I took my shower.  Turned it off and won't turn it on the rest of the day, as it will be in the upper 60's.  I'm glad I have one of those thermostat's--temperature set at 73 degrees, and all I have to do is move the little slider to Heat or Cool.
====================
Dar is off on vacation with her friend Sheila to the Upper Peninsula--I hope they took warm clothes.  Before she left yesterday, Dar called me twice.  She has a C-Pap machine coming.  It will be delivered by Fed Ex.  When I see the truck, could I go over and get the package off her porch.

2nd call:  Could I go over on Tuesday--specifically Tuesday--and pick all her tomatoes.  The plants are dying, but they are still producing tomatoes and she doesn't want them to go to waste.  In my rebellious mind, I will go over on FRIDAY (she will be home Saturday) and pick the tomatoes, see if Pearl or Jackie want any, take what I need and throw the rest in the garbage.
===================
The genealogy I am having fun with, took me to a standstill.  I couldn't find the man's parents.  Finally, I found a research link that showed his name and his parents.  When I clicked on his parents, there was the next generation up and so on.  I got up 16 generations.  Then researched each one, saved each census or fact I could find, or printed them out, scanned them as a photo and saved them to my picture file.

That way, I can insert the photo/facts when I get to their specific page in the book.  It took me all week and...it was wonderful!!!
=====================
I had to run to Walmart to pick up a prescription and some milk and as I was walking through, there was a 42" flat screen TV on sale for $168.00!  That is less then we paid for the 32" one I have, 8 years ago.

I just stood there and stared and went over all the reasons I needed to buy it.  I have wanted a larger TV for the last couple of years.  My eyes are bad enough now, that even with my glasses on, I can't see the print on the TV--print--like the score of a ballgame at the upper right of the screen or the printing that runs along the bottom of the screen.  

Then, as I stood there, I pondered on whether I could afford to use half my grocery money to buy it.  I could have someone tote it out to my car, but I didn't think the box would fit in my car.  How would I get it out and into my house?  

I took a few steps down the aisle, then stopped and looked back.  That is such a good price!  I have been noticing and looking for the last coupe of years.  Usually they are $198.00.

Then, I just shook my head and headed over to the dairy department and got my milk and some gallons of water, and some bathroom tissue, and............................

Of course, all day yesterday, when I watched TV, it seemed I couldn't see anything.  

Oh well.
=====================
My sister loves to watch Tennis.  My sister loves Venus Williams.  My sister is very upset with Venus Williams' actions on the court.  I don't watch Tennis.   Yesterday, I was engaged in watching Golf and Tiger Woods, who also used to act like a spoiled brat, until he had to take a couple of years off because of his injuries and back surgeries.

So to soothe my sister, I explained that I had read that Venus Williams has been suffering from post-partum depression, and to remember when our own Jennifer had that, how touchy she was.  Any little thing would set her off in an angry outburst.  And I reminded my sister, how angry everyone is nowadays, and how they feel it is their right to express that anger no matter where they are or what the consequences.   
========================
I live quite a peaceful and serene life.  I know I can't do one thing to change how our politicians act or react.  I can't do one thing to change how my neighbors act or react.  Dar, a lifelong very, extreme, ranting and raving Democrat, voted for and is now a rabid, ranting and raving Trump fan.  OY!  She comes over here with her rants.  I asked her one day, "Can you change any of it?"  She replied, "No."  So I asked her, "Why don't you just not listen to the news?"  

All anything like this, is as it is.  Will continue to be as it will be.  If I get involved, by watching the nonsense all day, I am going to become upset and angry.  I don't want that.  The only thing I can control, is what happens in my own home--and sometimes I can't control that.  I try real hard just to stay calm and keep myself peaceful.

Maybe I don't need a bigger TV.  Then, all that stuff on the News would just be, more "in my face?"  HAH!
===============

25 comments:

  1. Judy, I always look forward to reading your blog. Somehow, I guess through the fact you were raised on a farm, I feel a connection to you. Thank you for the comment you left for me concerning my decision to put my blog to rest for now. As for the chickens, they only live to be seven weeks old; no eggs for the farm. lol And I totally agree with you about the news coverage these days; so upsetting. And I hope cataracts aren't the reason you have trouble reading the words on TV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If cataracts are the problem--I will get them taken care of.
      Question--why are the chicks slaughtered at 7 weeks?Are they used for pet food? Cornish Game Hens? LOL

      Delete
  2. I'm always glad when you post, Judy. It really is the only way that we can keep in touch without Facebook. The only reason I go to that mostly is to see pictures of the kids or family that I don't get to see that much.

    I guess I was reading it wrong not sure thought it was Serena Williams that had that problem yesterday or whenever it was. Whichever sister it was, it seemed like she had good cause to be upset like she was but what do I know? LOL XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was Serena--I don't pay much attention to Tennis and I've always gotten those sister's names mixed up. ARGGH.

      Delete
  3. I need a larger TV. I can't read words either, but I won't be getting another until this one breaks.
    It was cool here this morning. It rained yesterday, today and it's supposed to rain tomorrow and for a couple more days I believe. That storm is coming up the coast. Lots of water in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah--we are getting some of your rain. Ours is coming in from the south-east, which is unusual.

      Delete
  4. To put things in perspective and make you feel better with your 8 year old tv--we are still watching tv on our 1994 tv purchased at JC Penney. Maybe a newer tv would have a better quality picture, but the news and the programs would still be the same. Oh, and we don't have cable either. I refuse to pay for tv.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could choose only the channels I watch. It would be very few and most not on cable. But the half dozen channels I can't seem to do without, the ones that carry my "church" programs and ESPN for my sports, I would really miss. The TV I had before this one, was a big, heavy boxy one that I bought in 1992 from Best Buy--27".

      Delete
  5. We haven't had to turn on the heat but September is pretty good weather here in North Idaho.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't think it got real hot or real cold in Idaho. But my friend recently moved to near Moscow and she was suffering in the 90's last week.

      Delete
  6. Your words that "you can't control anything but what is in your house"
    struck home and I needed it. So much going in my family, do not share and I have not been well for 3 days, I know it will pass but when you roll past 80 everything is more difficult. No family near and they are all busy with their lives, so I will do everything I know, call pharmacist this morning about reaction to medication and continue onward. My venting, forgive me. Have not been on computer for several days and read your post. God Bless You

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't heard from any of my kids since June 2nd!
      Then Karen called yesterday.
      Most of the time, I feel like I am completely on my own and if I dropped dead, during the night, no one would know for weeks!!!
      I hope you get this medication figured out. I just recently when through a medication change, which of course upset everything. Now I am back on the originals, but it takes a week before most of it straightens out. XX OO

      Delete
  7. um.....it's Serena who had the meltdown on the court the other day. Not Venus.....damn little t.v.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes--Sally informed me of that.
      I never watch Tennis and always get these sisters confused.

      Delete
  8. you are a tomato rebel!! you do lead a peaceful, life with a nice schedule and organized tasks!!

    we are not in to any sports, i know you enjoy them. i do think tennis is a little boring!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Tennis is boring, along with Soccer and Ice Hockey, but then I do love to watch Golf and some people think that sport is boring. LOL

      Delete
  9. I may slide my thermostat from Cool to Heat in December. But many years, it's not until January. I just like to knock the chill off when it's in the 30s overnight.

    Mmmm tomatoes off the vine sound good.

    Yep Serena sure showed the world what a spoiled-rotten, entitled bad sport she is. I'm so bored by that, I cannot bear to watch it.

    But the Cubs games on MLBTV sure look good on our new 55-incher that we got in June for a very nice low price. If you want a bigger TV, you should plan for it and get one.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am planning and every time I get a bit saved, some emergency comes up and I have to use the $$ for that. But--I save all my change and bottle return money in a jug and on New Year's Eve I count it out. Last year I had $157.00, so maybe this year, more?

      Delete
  10. I usually don't bother with politics anymore. Like you they just get me angry about something I can't control!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so true, Nettie. Then why do so many rant and rave about it? Just steals our joy.

      Delete
  11. I wish you could have gotten the tv!
    We're waiting to see what Hurricane Florence is gonna do here in SE, VA. It sounds like it'll hit down Myrtle Beach, but who can tell--it changes every day. We will see.
    Enjoy the tomatoes! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trudy--right now I've eaten enough tomatoes to last me until next summer!!! HAH.

      Delete
  12. You are one of my favourite blogs. Hard to read at times because you’re very honest. Greetings from the UK. My heating is on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anne--thanks so much. This blog is about the only place I can be downright honest. Lots of feelings and thoughts here that I really can't express to family and friends, face-to-face. I gotta have an outlet and I guess this is it. LOL

      Delete
  13. Your blog was absolutely fantastic!
    Great deal of great information & this can be useful some or maybe the other way.
    Keep updating your blog,anticipating to get more detailed contents thanks for sharing.
    หนังดราม่า

    ReplyDelete