title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Tuesday, December 6, 2016

No excuses--well maybe a couple?

Whip me with a wet noodle for not posting!!!  I have just been so busy and tired by the end of the day.

Saturday, Karen picked me up and we drove down to near Detroit (complete with all its people and traffic) to a party my Grand daughter Helene's MIL had for them.  It was a baby shower, house warming party AND the baby naming service.

Helene, Mike, Della, Karen and me stood up in front and they explained how Della got her full name.  Helene explained that Della was my mother's middle name and although she had never met my mother, she had been told what a wonderful woman she was, and also, she wanted Della's middle name to be after her and the great grandmother she was named for.

Then Karen explained that I had named her after my grandmother, Helene Mary, and used my grandmother's name for her middle name.  Karen went on to explain that her great grandmother had died on her 5th birthday, but she still remembered her, and how kind and loving she was and that when Karen was a teenager, she determined that her first girl child would be named Helene Mary, after her great grandmother.

I then explained that I was my grandmother's only grand child for many years and that she called me Precious until the day she died, and before Karen was born, I knew if she was a girl, her middle name would be to honor my grandmother, Helene.

Then the Rabbi blessed Della in Hebrew, and we all said a prayer in English and then all the women started singing and calling "Mazel Tov" while we clapped along.

65 women present!  Most of them Jewish.  All decked out in their furs and rings and face made up and hair poufed and perfect.  I felt like a yokel for sure.  All talking and laughing loudly, constantly, even while we ate--"Just being Jewish Mommas," Helene's husband said.  I actually had to get up and go outside and walk around the parking lot at one time, just to get away from the noise.  I am not used to such crowds and noise.

Gosh--we had a good time.  The MIL is a lovely lady--not with furs and rings and made-up and hair coiffed perfectly.  Her friends are warm and friendly and wanted to know all about me and my family.
Many said, "Ah--now we know where Helene gets her height."  They are all so short!

My little girl is a Grandma!  I can hardly believe it.


The other grandma, Reva

I got to know Mike's brother, Jonathon better-he is a hoot!!
We had a great chat. 

    Blessing--Reva, Rabbi Ruth, Helene & Della, Mike, Karen and me (looking kind of in rapture) 
I (for one) was relieved that Della is a girl or this would have been a Bris and I am sure I would have fainted when my great grandson had to be circumcised!!!

BTW--Della will also be baptized in the Catholic church.  I think I will sit by Reva and hold her hand--I am sure she has never been in a Catholic church, and me not very often.
===============================

Sunday, was my 10th attendance at the Nutcracker Ballet.  This year Madeleine dance the part of the Ballerina Doll and the Shepherdess, herding the little kids dressed as sheep.  It was delightful and after 10 years, it seemed shorter to me this year.  My grandson Marcus, was one of the Arabian slaves that carried the Sedan Chair that the Arabian princess rode in, he also assisted in carrying her, high over his head, across the stage.  Their Dad, Mark was behind the scenes working the snow machine, and Karen worked the concession stand during the intermission.

I do not have one decent picture from the performance, which makes me very irritated!!  Just this one after wards of Maddie, me and Marcus--and it's not a very good pix.

The life size dolls that come alive.
Maddie in pink


 Maddie Shepherdess and Arabian slave, Marcus.
That is Maddie's real hair.  Look how long it is.
Going to the Nutcracker is always a treat for me.  No one, except the cast, is suppose to go backstage and the dressings rooms, but after the show, I always do.  After 10 years, I have watched these little girls grow up and when they spot me, skulking along the hallway, they scream, "Gramma Judy!  Gramma Judy's here!" and they come flying out of the different dressing rooms for a hug and their compliment.  Even the director knows me and when I say,  "I'm not suppose to be back here," she says, "Yes you are!  You're Gramma Judy!"

Age does bring its privileges!!!
====================
Monday--I got all my Christmas cards and letters completed.  I guess I have more than usual this year, because I had to buy an extra book of stamps.  My special daughter Chris, always sends me Christmas stamps--which I think is pretty darn caring of her!!!

Today--I started the "Boys Spaghetti Sauce" Project.  It take a day and a half to make about 5 quarts.  I need 20 quarts this year.  I haven't purchased any meat in almost a year.  The price of ground, lean Chuck is out of this world--and it isn't all that lean!!!!  Of course, I let is drain real well and also the Italian Sausages that I make the meat balls out of.  I want the sauce to be thick and no film of grease on top!!!


9 comments:

  1. Glad you got to go to the naming party. That sounds like such a nice tradition. All your other activities, too, will keep you smiling for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The naming party sounds like quite a celebration. I like the idea of you guys explaining the history of the name, showing the continuity of family.

    I did my Christmas cards yesterday. You have your work cut out for you with that spaghetti sauce. They will love it, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy for you
    what a wonderful time for you and special memories..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a lovely time you are having....The naming celebration/shower/house warming looked to be such a joyous event and such nice, happy and loving people to learn about. Happy for you all. And, there you are doing such nice things for others. I have always loved following your visit to the Nutcracker event and making all that sauce. Lucky recipients!
    Thanks for sharing it all with us, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you all had a great time of it! Those children of ours sure did grow up fast...sweet baby!
    I know that sauce turned out wonderfully!
    hughugs

    ReplyDelete
  6. Miss Judy, you are ALWAYS busy! Certainly much busier these days. Great grandchildren. I can't even imagine the love.

    Thanks for posting about the naming ceremony. It will be interesting to hear about the Catholic event as well.!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now you have me drooling for homemade spaghetti sauce! That sounds so good. And what a wonderful bunch of festive occasions and events you've had. I love to hear how babies come to be named. And it's good to see you smiling! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd been worried about you, silent so long! What happy reasons. It's good to see you in the middle of these celebrations. Special little girl..Della gets blessings and a baptism, cherished by two spiritual cultures. She'll learn to love them both. It's amazing and touching to me, that your Grandma Helene lives on in Della Helene (if I follow the name references correctly).

    Your kitchen must smell wonderful now. Do treat yourself to some of this meat spaghetti sauce!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have been busy! And having a good time! That's the best kind of busy.

    And tired, after a good time, is the best kind of tired.

    Gentle hugs,
    Luna Crone

    ReplyDelete