title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Monday, August 19, 2019

I did an adventurous thing, at least for me, Saturday evening.
My daughter Karen's high school class of 1979, were having their 40th class reunion.  Up in Durand.  Just 31 miles away.



This group of "kids" were my favorites.  Of all my children, I was closest with this class.  A small town school, they graduated around 60 people and I knew more than half.




I was their "room mother" for 5 years, attending their school parties and going with them on field trips.  In high school, many of the boys played 4-H softball for my Dad and I was the scorekeeper for the team.  Many more of them took Gun Safety classes, taught by my Dad, out at our farm.  They built their homecoming floats in our barn.  We chaperoned their high school dances.




A bunch of them would show up at our house after a school dance or the last night of their Senior play--all wanting a snack and then sitting around in the living room, talking until the wee hours.




At times, half a dozen girls running around upstairs, laughing and giggling at a pajama party.




Some are friends on Face Book.  Most of them, I haven't seen since their graduation day.




I wanted to see and talk to these kids one more time!




But....maybe it wouldn't be cool to crash their reunion?  Then I saw on their on-line notice of the reunion, "all alumni are welcome".




AHA--I am an Alumni of that school and besides--it might be fun. I was shaking the last few miles, still wondering if I should just turn around and go back home.




I didn't tell Karen and Mark that I was going.  I just drove up to the Eagles Club near Durand and walked into their banquet room.




Two of the girls that organized the party and are FB friends and would recognize me after 40 years, yelled, "Momma Miller"! and rushed up to me for hugs.  Hey--I figured I was in like Flynn!




Karen and Mark looked a little surprised when they walked in and saw me, so I went up to them and reached out to shake Mark's hand and said, "Hi.  I'm Judy Miller, Karen Miller's Mom.  I didn't know if you'd recognize me or not."




Mark replied, "Hi.  I think I remember you."




Of course I had just been to their house last Sunday.



Digress--Karen and Mark knew each other all their life, at school.  He was the smartest boy in the class and Karen was always trying to beat him in grades.  They got together on their Senior Trip and married two years later.  I remember well the day she came home from school and announced, "I beat that Rivard kid!  I am the class Valedictorian and he is second place!"  She had beat him by one-tenth of a point on their GPA.


Most everyone recognized me.  There were 3 guys that I didn't even recognize their names, but in talking, found out they took Gun Safety and they said, "Wasn't that out at your farm?"  Of course, they all knew Karen, when I mentioned I was her Mom.  They also all mentioned what a nice, kind person she was to everyone--which made this Mom proud.



I only stayed about an hour and a half and as they were getting ready to sit down to eat, I knew it was time to leave so I could get home before dark.  




They encouraged me to stay and eat, but I told them all, "You kids don't need a chaperone and I gotta get home before dark.  It was a wonderful treat for me to see you again.  I'll see you at your 50th reunion," and I turned to leave.




"Bye Momma Miller.  Thank you for coming. Be careful driving home.  See ya later."


Karen and Leslie--one of Karen's friends.  She spent a lot of time at our house when they were growing up.




=============================

As I was coming home and got near Byron, I stopped at the Dollar General to get a cold Diet Pepsi.  I saw Pammie's truck in the parking lot, so I knew she was working the check-out.

I thought I'd sneak in, get my Pepsi, get in line and surprise her when I got up to the cash register.

She was checking out a guy and his little girl and I thought totally engaged with them, but she must keep one eye on the entry door because she nonchalantly said, like it happened all the time, "Hello Mother."

I went and got the Pepsi and stood in line, watching her as she checked people out.  

She is wonderful with people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had heard that some people have written to the management of that store that Pam is the best clerk ever, but Saturday evening, I got to see it in person.

She engages each person in a bit of conversation, while she works the till.  Always chats it up with the little kids.  Smiles and laughs for everyone, thanks them and sends them off with well wishes.

Now, I know how painful this job is for her.  With her severe back problems, she is in constant pain, but you'd never know it by the way she interacts with the customers.

I paid for my Pepsi quickly because I didn't want to hold up the people behind me, but she put her hand up high, pointed at me and said, "This is my Momma!"  People clapped.

Then she leaned over and kissed me good-bye.  I whispered, "I'll bet sales would soar if you kissed every customer good-bye."
===========================
I got home just as it was getting dark.  I was so high on happy that I didn't get relaxed enough to go to bed until well after 1:00am.

What a great time I had.

10 comments:

  1. i am so happy you went, and i am glad it went well!! i like how you introduced yourself to mark!!

    that's a nice picture of the three of you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You shared two great experiences with us, thank you. Being bold enough to go to the reunion unannounced and then seeing Pam in action working in the store will always be remembered and treasured by you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful, uplifting day you had. I love it and why wouldn't all those "kids" love seeing you again.

    Pam sounds like a peach.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is wonderful you went to the reunion. I graduated in 1979 too. Different high school in a different state, but remember the Moms who did help out and always appreciated them. I am sure you made everyone's evening showing up. I am glad you had such a wonderful evening. It is always nice to hear how well your kids are doing and how well liked they are. Proud moments for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How wonderful to get to see two of your kids within a few hours. You are indeed blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WHOA! You were a Gal on the Go! Great kids, biological and otherwise!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Judy, I'm so glad you listened to your inner self encouraging you to go to that reunion. It was a treat for you . . . and for those there who so remembered you! Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey! It's great to hear you went! Good memories made, I know!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How fun, Judy! You are more courageous than I am. If I showed up at my dear daughter's she would have had me thrown out. LOL

    Karen is so pretty, and isn't that great that Pam has such a nice rapport with the customers.

    I'm happy you had a good time.

    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so glad you had such a great day, Judy!!

    ReplyDelete